Trade Proposal to upgrade the team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Trade Proposal to upgrade the team

Post by Purple bruise »

This might be considered to be too drastic of a measure but desperate times call for desperate measurers.
I would like to see if the Vikes could swing a trade with say the Cowboys for: The Vikes Trade AD and J Allen for the Cowboy's 1st round pick this year and the Cowboy's 1st and 2nd second round picks next year plus 30 year old Demarcus Ware, Felix Jones and Dez Bryant.
Jerry Jones, as well as almost any owner in the league, would love to have AD and I have totally given up on Allen.
Dez Bryant would give them that big down field threat that they so desperately need. I think that Gerhart and Jones would make a good pair of rbs. I would then address the offensive line, linebackers and db's with the next 2 drafts.
I would like to hear any other interesting trades that you might suggest that would upgrade this team.
Last edited by Purple bruise on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Trade Proposal to upgrade the team

Post by Cliff »

I am thrilled you don't get to make this call. No offense, I just don't like the trade.

I think the Vikings will be fine with the picks they have and they have a pretty decent core. I think making some kind of big splash trade is a bad idea when the team is trying to build a foundation.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Not going to happen.

Who would trade more than than a 4th rounder for Jared Allen right about now?

And, of course, the Vikings would never trade Adrian Peterson. Although, truthfully, Peterson is such a great player and human being that I would love to see him finish his career playing for a winner and earn a Super Bowl ring or two. That's about as likely to happen for him in Minnesota as his getting hit by a meteor.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

I'm sorry but there's already been one awful trade with Dallas in this team's history. Let's not make it two.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Really? Everyone's turning on Jared now? Oh lord
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purplemania wrote:No. And who the hell is Andre Ware?

Furthermore, Felix Jones really sucks. The picks we are receiving would be middle to late at best. I like Dez Bryant, but he is horribly inconsistent. I think he is kind of overhyped as well. With such a talented offense, Bryant should be beasting on defenses 1 on 1.

In fact, I'd say the guy I'd want from Dallas is Miles Austin. I'd give up a 3rd + JA for Austin in a heart beat.

And lastly, I love AD too much. I honestly think he will go down in history as the greatest RB ever and also break Emmit Smith's career rushing yards.
My bad. I meant to say DeMarcus Ware. And Felix Jones is not great but I do not think that he sucks. Now the Cowboys suck though.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I don't even think this trade is realistic in Madden.
LOL :point:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Is this a serious thread? Or something to help us all smile at the idiocy?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

So we trade our brand name defensive player and the best running back in franchise history? For what? Mid first rounders? We go from Peterson to Felix Jones? Who in the blue Hell cares about Dez Bryant when Ponder doesn't have the skill or the ability because he is so restricted by his coaches to do anything with him?

This reeks of Herschel Walker level rip off. You seriously do not want to contemplate how terrible this team would be without Allen and Peterson, you really don't.
Peterson can just single handedly be almost the entirety of the offensive output without input from skill positions. I would't even trade Peterson for Calvin Johnson. We don't have the quarterback to make even getting one of if not the best wide receivers in the league worth it so Dez Bryant will not get us there. You can't give up Adrian mothereffin' Peterson for Felix Jones and Dez Bryant, you really can't.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Purplemania wrote:Felix Jones is a back up RB. Gerhart is a back up RB. We'd have to go and search for another legit RB if Peterson is gone. As for Ware, I don't think he can play 4-3 as a LB or a DE. Also, I reckoned he wouldn't be too happy being traded to a noncontending team. Actually as it stands, why would Ware and Allen even be involved?
Well, look at it this way... Felix Jones would fit in perfectly with our backup-quality Guards, WR's and QB. :|
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

No owner would be dumb enough to trade that much for a HB. (Look how far he's got this team)
Really? Everyone's turning on Jared now? Oh lord
Yeah, silly. His value is at it's lowest. They should have moved him this offseason.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Hunter Morrow wrote:So we trade our brand name defensive player and the best running back in franchise history? For what? Mid first rounders? We go from Peterson to Felix Jones? Who in the blue Hell cares about Dez Bryant when Ponder doesn't have the skill or the ability because he is so restricted by his coaches to do anything with him?

This reeks of Herschel Walker level rip off. You seriously do not want to contemplate how terrible this team would be without Allen and Peterson, you really don't.
Peterson can just single handedly be almost the entirety of the offensive output without input from skill positions. I would't even trade Peterson for Calvin Johnson. We don't have the quarterback to make even getting one of if not the best wide receivers in the league worth it so Dez Bryant will not get us there. You can't give up Adrian mothereffin' Peterson for Felix Jones and Dez Bryant, you really can't.
Yes this deal does smack of "Herschel Walker II" but in this instance the Vikes are the owerwhelming benefactors. First off AD is destined to have a Barry Sander's type of a career with the Vikes, best back ever with no ring (need I explain). Allen is not even a top 15 DE anymore and there are many many many games where he is all but invisible. You trade AD and Allen for Demarcus Ware, Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, two # 1 draft picks and a 2nd round pick (the draft picks will be fairly early picks because the Cowboys will finish below 500). They then take those picks along with their own and grab quality o-linemen, linebackers, and dbs in the next 2 years.
What will this team be like in 2 years with AD and 32 year old Allen? I love AD and would hate to see hime leave but this type of trade, for me anyway, would be awesome. The Caveat here is that as desperate as Jerry Jones is he would not ever do such a deal. This post is all for fun and speculation anyway.
:)

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

All I have to say is, why Dallas? There are college teams I'd rather deal with than any more interaction with Dallas. I hate the Cowboys, moreso because of that awful trade for Walker. Even if I wanted to consider the idea, I can't get past the fact that Dallas is involved.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

What always cracks me up about trade proposals like these is the ridiculous assumption that the other team will simply and quietly accept the offer.

1. Why would Dallas want Adrian Peterson? They already have DeMarco Murray. No, Murray is no Peterson, but he has a hell of a future in front of him (if he stays healthy) and really showed what he can do late last season.

2. Running backs don't win you Super Bowls. Not in today's game. I hate saying that, and I love AD, but it is a true statement. If running backs could win you Super Bowls, we'd have 3 in the last 7 years. So why would Dallas mortgage its entire future by sending us their next two first round picks and a second round pick? All for a running back? (And again, they already have Murray.) As incompetent as Jerry Jones and the rest of Dallas management is, that would never happen. Not a chance in hell. This isn't Madden. Draft picks matter A LOT.

3. As if the picks weren't enough, you really think they'd give up their young stud wide receiver with a bright future and one of the league's premier pass rushers (and overall defenders)? Even if I'm overrating the two (quite possible), it's still a ridiculous presumption.

4. Allen's value is at its lowest point right now. He is essentially worthless when you weigh his production on the field against his salary. Dallas would almost be doing us a favor by taking him off our hands.

I like your effort, but to me this trade makes no sense. When creating scenarios like this, I try to put myself in the shoes of the other team or teams, not just my own team. You have to ask yourself, when looking at things from the other perspective, if you'd still do this trade. And this trade makes no sense whatsoever for Dallas. Oh, and our concern isn't DBs, LBs, and OLs. WE NEED A FRIGGIN QUARTERBACK.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Again and I quote from my first post, the last line "would like to hear any other interesting trades that you might suggest that would upgrade this team".
I started this post just to see what all of you want-a-be GM's and armchair QB's that seem to know how to run an NFL team could/would do to improve the team and to take a quantum leap to drastically improve the team. That was my suggestion (about as radical as you could get in trading AD).
Now again and just for entertainment do any of you have a trade that would/could drastically improve the team :?: