Trade Proposal to upgrade the team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Trade Proposal to upgrade the team

Post by saint33 »

What's this crap about Jared Allen not even being a top 15 DE? This is just getting silly, you don't go from best in the league to not even top 15 in one year, he's not that old. I think you guys are spoiled. He's still on pace for over 10 sacks (not to mention he still has chi and gb twice on the schedule, 2 of the 3 at home, so it could be a lot more than 10). And more importantly, he's playing much better all around defense.

Declining? Ya I'll accept that, but he's not dropping off a cliff.

And ftr, the cowboys would have no use for him in their 3-4, so theres another blemish on this trade proposal
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

saint33 wrote:What's this crap about Jared Allen not even being a top 15 DE? This is just getting silly, you don't go from best in the league to not even top 15 in one year, he's not that old. I think you guys are spoiled. He's still on pace for over 10 sacks (not to mention he still has chi and gb twice on the schedule, 2 of the 3 at home, so it could be a lot more than 10). And more importantly, he's playing much better all around defense.

Declining? Ya I'll accept that, but he's not dropping off a cliff.

And ftr, the cowboys would have no use for him in their 3-4, so theres another blemish on this trade proposal
Sounds as if you are a big JA fan. I really like the guy too but if you look at his season long stats there are several games wher he has one maybe two tackles for the whole game. As far as the top fifteen I think that both Griffen and Robison are both better all around DE's than Allen is at this point of his career.
As an example, playing against a makeshift Bears o-line, when the Vikes needed him the most to pressure Cutler, where was he?
Now about my proposed trade, as I have mentioned before this is for fun, something that I came up with that would get people thinking and hopefully contributing their thoughts and ideas about how to make some drastic trades to hopefully better the team. You like so many take your "shots" at my idea and thats ok but what trade plan, if any could you come up with?
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

The trade makes no sense. We are the second youngest team in the league and would trade our best veterans for future draft picks and so-so replacements? So we could become the absolutely youngest team with NO veteran talent. We are not in a position for a win-now trade. We are REBUILDING. Get used to it.

A majority of us wanted to take the slower rebuilding-through-the-draft approach and we are in that process. We are probably finding out that we have the wrong QB on the roster. Now people want a quick fix. We don't have the talent yet to sustain a playoff run. Relax and enjoy this season for what it is.....a prolonged talent search and evaluation while trying to stay competitive. Trading JA and AD makes no sense to me at this point.
You still have to sell tickets.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Sorry man, but your trade is ludicrous.

Adrain, outside of Percy, is this team's offense. Jared Allen is having a down year, yes, but he means a lot more to this team than he would on the market. People are so quick to forget the struggles we had at RDE for SEASONS before Jared came here.

The parameters of the trade don't add up. Why would Dallas want Jared Allen over DeMarcus Ware? We are two totally different defenses and neither play would fit their new team's respective defense.

A more sensible trade, IMO, would be for us to move up in the draft for a position of need based on the picks we secured last year.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Sorry man, but your trade is ludicrous.

Adrain, outside of Percy, is this team's offense. Jared Allen is having a down year, yes, but he means a lot more to this team than he would on the market. People are so quick to forget the struggles we had at RDE for SEASONS before Jared came here.

The parameters of the trade don't add up. Why would Dallas want Jared Allen over DeMarcus Ware? We are two totally different defenses and neither play would fit their new team's respective defense.

A more sensible trade, IMO, would be for us to move up in the draft for a position of need based on the picks we secured last year.
Do we have extra picks this year?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Personally I don't think there is any realistic trade scenario that would be better for this team than to continue on rebuilding. The only player with significant value we even have is Peterson so I suppose if you could get Calvin Johnson or top tier QB for him you should probably do that, but like I said realistically that isn't likely to happen.

If we could trade Peterson for a first and second, and another first and second I would be all for it but any thing less than that and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense and no one is gonna pay that much for a RB when you can just draft the top RB prospect and get a guy like doug martin.

As for spending our picks in a trade, I'm not sure anyone would be worth it. Maybe a 1st for mike wallace or something but we'd be better off trying to overpay Greg Jennings in FA.

For my fantasy trade I would do Jared Allen + christian Ponder + 2nd rounder for Sam Bradford. Granted we have a lot of the same problems the Rams do, I have higher hopes for Bradford than Ponder in the long run!
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Purple bruise wrote: Sounds as if you are a big JA fan. I really like the guy too but if you look at his season long stats there are several games wher he has one maybe two tackles for the whole game. As far as the top fifteen I think that both Griffen and Robison are both better all around DE's than Allen is at this point of his career.
As an example, playing against a makeshift Bears o-line, when the Vikes needed him the most to pressure Cutler, where was he?
Now about my proposed trade, as I have mentioned before this is for fun, something that I came up with that would get people thinking and hopefully contributing their thoughts and ideas about how to make some drastic trades to hopefully better the team. You like so many take your "shots" at my idea and thats ok but what trade plan, if any could you come up with?
Yes a am a big fan of Jared, who isn't? And for good reason, the guy is a special player. Tackle statistics are about as relavent to a DEs performance as sacks are to a MLB. Nice to get them, but far from a measurable bases to evaluate their performance.

You would be wrong if you think Robison or Griffen are better than jared. Griffen is a situational pass rusher, he is nowhere near Jareds level, and while Robison may slightly edge Allen in run defense (this year specifically, Allen's been poor in that area in years past) he is still far behind Allen as a pass rusher. Jared is the sack leader on the team despite the fact he is the primary focus of opposing protection schemes, getting doubled on most passing plays. Where was Jared against the bears you ask? Getting chipped and doubled all game long, as we're the rest of our dlinemen. The bears were in max protection almost every pass play beacause Marshall was unstoppable.

I hear this silliness almost every year, Jared's slumping, he's inconsistent, disappears in games, etc. and every time I try to explain that is the nature of the position. The flash plays come in spurts, the dominant games don't come every week. Tell me could you say robison or griffen have been models of consistency? Of course not, and you'll see that in other teams DEs, did you notice much of peppers? But more so than most years, Jared is doing the little things better, the assignments that go unnoticed from the position.

Honestly, I think it comes down to expectations. We've become so used to the dominant games that Jared performs, especially coming off a 22 sack season, that on any given game we expect nothing less and are disappointed with anything less

Hes currently tied for the 11th most sacks for DEs btw, and I'll guarantee he finished higher on the list than that. And when you've been as consistent as he has over his career, there's nothing wrong with a year that's statistically a little lower than his norm
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

2nd rounder for Larry Fitz!
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

That trade is ridiculous... picks are never a guarantee... Look at troy williamson we could potentially get huge busts for the trade and Adrian should not be traded from the vikes or in any trade talk I dont think taking the best running back from the team would potentially make us better in any way.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mondry wrote:2nd rounder for Larry Fitz!
This was my intent for the thread. Come up with some over the top trades ideas that you could imagine that might vastly change the team for the best.. I would love getting Fitz but I doubt that he could be picked up for a 2nd rounder. I might go as far as offering a 1st rounder expecially if it is in the 15 to 20 range.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am a gambler but there are too many unknowns in hat kind of trade
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!