Jerome Simpson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Farewell Jerome Simpson

Post by Cliff »

Simpson has been very disappointing. Last night highlighted how this season has been for him. He dropped what, 3 catchable balls? At least one hit him in the chest and one hit him in the hands.

It's such a sharp difference when I watch the other WRs play compared to Harvin. It's not just about ability ... Harvin really puts it all out there and the other WRs look so soft in comparison.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I was also hopeful that Simpson would work out. Simpson's strength is his athleticism but now he doesn't even show that. The guy isn't healthy, yes, but he's also not a good route runner and apparently coats his hands with butter before games.

Cliff is right to say Harvin is in another league when compared to the other receivers on the team. As I said in another thread, I firmly believe that the Vikings should retain only Harvin and Wright but dump all the other receivers after this season.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

The title of your thread made me hopeful that he got cut this morning.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

soflavike wrote:The title of your thread made me hopeful that he got cut this morning.
I know. I think the mods need to change it.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

Hopefully Simpson helps Carlson pack, or visa versa, either way neither should be back. Use that money to continue to improve the o-line.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I know. I think the mods need to change it.
I thought the same thing, took out the "farewell" part.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote:Simpson has been very disappointing. Last night highlighted how this season has been for him. He dropped what, 3 catchable balls? At least one hit him in the chest and one hit him in the hands.

It's such a sharp difference when I watch the other WRs play compared to Harvin. It's not just about ability ... Harvin really puts it all out there and the other WRs look so soft in comparison.
Harvin is leaps and bounds ahead of the others but he's also an elite receiver. I think Wright has played pretty tough and even though he gets a lot of knocks, so has Jenkins. Jenkins may not be top tier, but the guy has shown to have sure hands and the ability to catch footballs in traffic. FOX showed a play where he was wide open and Ponder never even looked in his direction (he was probably the 3rd read on that play). I think for what he's being paid, he's a good #3/#4.

Simpson, Burton and Aromashodu have all be very disappointing.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: Harvin is leaps and bounds ahead of the others but he's also an elite receiver. I think Wright has played pretty tough and even though he gets a lot of knocks, so has Jenkins. Jenkins may not be top tier, but the guy has shown to have sure hands and the ability to catch footballs in traffic. FOX showed a play where he was wide open and Ponder never even looked in his direction (he was probably the 3rd read on that play). I think for what he's being paid, he's a good #3/#4.

Simpson, Burton and Aromashodu have all be very disappointing.
I'm with you on Jenkins. He is fine for what he is.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Jerome Simpson

Post by Eli »

Boon wrote:We have 2 wideouts on this team, Wright and Harvin, Draft 2 more and sign 2 in FA that aren't bums and we should be fine.
The chances of replacing 4 out of 6 receivers are slim to none. Wright hasn't shown anything special. It's been a little scary how much the Vikings have tried to use him like Harvin. But he clearly doesn't have the receiving skills, the speed or the ball carrying ability of Harvin. He'll be around for a couple of years, but he's a #4 or #5 WR on most teams.

Childs will be back in camp, although whether or not he'll ever play a regular season snap is anyone's guess. I'd expect Aromashodu back, and wouldn't be surprised to see Jenkins brought back.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Eli wrote: The chances of replacing 4 out of 6 receivers are slim to none. Wright hasn't shown anything special. It's been a little scary how much the Vikings have tried to use him like Harvin. But he clearly doesn't have the receiving skills, the speed or the ball carrying ability of Harvin. He'll be around for a couple of years, but he's a #4 or #5 WR on most teams.

Childs will be back in camp, although whether or not he'll ever play a regular season snap is anyone's guess. I'd expect Aromashodu back, and wouldn't be surprised to see Jenkins brought back.
I doubt Childs will be able to recover from that. 2 torn patella tendons is one of the rarest injuries. Coming back from one is tough coming back from two is very close to impossible he might never step foot on a football field again.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Eli wrote: The chances of replacing 4 out of 6 receivers are slim to none. Wright hasn't shown anything special. It's been a little scary how much the Vikings have tried to use him like Harvin. But he clearly doesn't have the receiving skills, the speed or the ball carrying ability of Harvin. He'll be around for a couple of years, but he's a #4 or #5 WR on most teams.

I don't see them coming back, they'll probably be dropped and we'll pick up some other teams #3-#4's so only thing that changes is the name of the players, same crap performances.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Purplemania wrote:Gotta say, I'm surprised by the amount of folks satisfied with Jenkins. He has dropped crucial passes this year as well. He is not sure handed at all. The only catch he can make is the quick slant, and even last game he dropped one that would've been a big gain. He can't do anything well. No point of paying a guy so much money for such miniscule production. Next please!
Yeah, people have been defending Jenkins the entire time he's here. And I'm not sure why either. He's below average, keeping him because he's the best of our below average receivers isn't how you improve a team.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Demi wrote: Yeah, people have been defending Jenkins the entire time he's here. And I'm not sure why either. He's below average, keeping him because he's the best of our below average receivers isn't how you improve a team.
You know, I do agree with that. I just feel like Jenkins should be the last of the horrible WRs to go. Replace him with a 5th round rookie with promise in a heartbeat.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Demi wrote: Yeah, people have been defending Jenkins the entire time he's here. And I'm not sure why either. He's below average, keeping him because he's the best of our below average receivers isn't how you improve a team.
He's likely to be gone after this season unless he restructures again. I believe he's due a big bonus if he makes the roster next year as part of the pay cut deal he took. The guy isn't great but he's also getting paid backup money. At least he holds onto the football and makes catches in traffic. He may not be much more than average but he's better than Carlson, Simpson and Burton combined so far. Show me another receiver we can pay $1MM per year that can do substantially better, they don't exactly grow on trees.