Vikings @ Bears Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 12

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Bears Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 12

Post by mmvikes »

Mothman wrote:
LOL! So he'll be back to making 2 or 3 catches a game for a total of about 15-30 yards? Defenses must be quaking fear. :evil:
hilarious
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgOYvlVqSSs

:rofl:

Nah, not windy there at all!
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

mmvikes wrote:Haven't been to too many games at Soldier field have you. The field is right on Lake Michigan and the wind can really swirl through the stadium.
Exactly. The winds can get downright weird close to the lake. Prevailing winds are westerly (like most of the US), but then there's easterly winds off the lake. When they're both going, things can just get weird. Same thing happens at Northwestern's Ryan Field (which is about a mile from the shore). It's not the same as the crazy fast straight line winds on the plains that can top 60 mph, but when there are gusts to 30 or 40 in multiple directions, the results can screw with a football game.
mmvikes wrote:There was a game against San Fran a few years back that Robbie Gould kicked a field goal heading for the uprights and ended up 20 yds wide. San Fran tried one later and the field goal attempt made a right turn on the way to the posts. It didn't hook right. It wasn't a slice. It made a right turn. Funniest thing I ever saw.
For anyone that hasn't seen this one before, Demi's youtube link has the highlights. Has to be seen to be believed.
mmvikes wrote:There was also a playoff game back when the Bears were good in 85 that punter Sean Landetta dropped the ball to punt and in that 2' drop the ball blew a foot to the right of his foot and he whiffed the punt.
I've read about this one but unfortunately never seen it, youtube search came up empty :(
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote: :lol:

You put Brees on this team we're leading the division. He doesn't stare down one receiver and ignore other getting open. He doesn't take off running from phantom pressure. He steps up so the pressure doesn't get to him.

And I can't wrap my head around the 50% statement, are you seriously implying he'd win fewer games then Ponder? :shock:
Right, Brees is 5-6 with a team with a better defense, ten times better receivers and a much better o-line. And they just got beat by the 49ers who the Vikes beat. But he would be leading this team to 1st place in the north division :confused: :confused: Your Ponder hate blinds you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

Purple bruise wrote: Right, Brees is 5-6 with a team with a better defense, ten times better receivers and a much better o-line. And they just got beat by the 49ers who the Vikes beat. But he would be leading this team to 1st place in the north division :confused: :confused: Your Ponder hate blinds you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I completely agree!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

mmvikes wrote: Haven't been to too many games at Soldier field have you. The field is right on Lake Michigan and the wind can really swirl through the stadium. There was a game against San Fran a few years back that Robbie Gould kicked a field goal heading for the uprights and ended up 20 yds wide. San Fran tried one later and the field goal attempt made a right turn on the way to the posts. It didn't hook right. It wasn't a slice. It made a right turn. Funniest thing I ever saw. There was also a playoff game back when the Bears were good in 85 that punter Sean Landetta dropped the ball to punt and in that 2' drop the ball blew a foot to the right of his foot and he whiffed the punt. These are just a couple of examples that stick out in my head, but it is a terrible place to kick. You are right about the reason for the name windy city though. The name was given because of the windbag politicians.
Actually I live in Illinois and have an office in Chicago, but you are correct - I have only been to a couple of games at Soldier Field. I know the wind can be a "bear" there (pun intended) as it is right off the lake, but I still think that is an excuse. The point, I guess is that the "Windy City" moniker really has nothing to do with the wind conditions at Soldier Field.
Last edited by Just Me on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Delaqure wrote: I completely agree!
And you think Brees is the problem with that team?
with a team with a better defens
28th in Points, 32nd in yards, 30th in passing yards, 32nd in rushing yards

Yeah, a MUUUUCH better defense. Wait, nope, one of the worst defenses in the league.

Oh, and they've got the 27th ranked rushing attack too.

But yep, Brees is the reason they're 5-6.

Brees + Our Running Game + Our defense = Leading division.

But let's live in fantasy world where the Saints defense is "better". :rofl:

And the stats Brees contributes to? 5th in passing yards, 8th in yards, 5th in points.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Demi wrote:And the stats Brees contributes to? 5th in passing yards, 8th in yards, 5th in points.
And a 98.5 Passer Rating.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

So let me get this straight Demi, Brees (5-6 record) would be leading this team to a division lead. Ponder has been responsible for all of the Vikings's 5 losses and of course gets no credit from you for the wins. And regarding todays loss with AD fumbles, blocked field goal, 7 dropped passes and no time to throw with his collapsing pocket. That o-line that affords him about 2.5 seconds to go through his progressions and throw without having even one half way decent receiver (no Harvin) Brees would have won this game too and the Vikes would be in first place :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Purple bruise wrote:So let me get this straight Demi, Brees (5-6 record) would be leading this team to a division lead. Ponder has been responsible for all of the Vikings's 5 losses and of course gets no credit from you for the wins. And regarding todays loss with AD fumbles, blocked field goal, 7 dropped passes and no time to throw with his collapsing pocket. That o-line that affords him about 2.5 seconds to go through his progressions and throw without having even one half way decent receiver (no Harvin) Brees would have won this game too and the Vikes would be in first place :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Brees would have seen Aromashadu wide open. He would have hit that TD pass. There were numerous other receivers open Ponder missed. There was "pressure" that didn't exist he still ran from.

Saints were 3-13, signed Brees, 10 wins and playoffs. They take a 7th round receiver that Brees helps look amazing. His other receivers? Devery Henderson and Joe Horn, David Patten. They went from the 20th ranked offense, to the 1st the year he was signed. Lance Moore led them in receiving one year.

It's hardly a coincidence when we win the defense and running game is coming up big. There's been probably one game you can point to Ponder and say he contributed largely to it.

Childress was incompetent, so was Bevell. Our line couldn't block. Had no receivers. Sign Favre we're in the NFCCG 2nd ranked scoring offense 5th ranked in yards.

I think you're underestimating the importance of a quarterback and what they can do to help a team if you honestly believe we wouldn't have any more wins with Brees...
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote: Brees would have seen Aromashadu wide open. He would have hit that TD pass. There were numerous other receivers open Ponder missed. There was "pressure" that didn't exist he still ran from.

Saints were 3-13, signed Brees, 10 wins and playoffs. They take a 7th round receiver that Brees helps look amazing. His other receivers? Devery Henderson and Joe Horn, David Patten. They went from the 20th ranked offense, to the 1st the year he was signed. Lance Moore led them in receiving one year.

It's hardly a coincidence when we win the defense and running game is coming up big. There's been probably one game you can point to Ponder and say he contributed largely to it.

Childress was incompetent, so was Bevell. Our line couldn't block. Had no receivers. Sign Favre we're in the NFCCG 2nd ranked scoring offense 5th ranked in yards.

I think you're underestimating the importance of a quarterback and what they can do to help a team if you honestly believe we wouldn't have any more wins with Brees...
Not only Devin but Kyle was WIDE open twice. I mean no one near him. And Ponder was running and/or throwing somewhere else. One was on the int I think. Brees will thread the needle to our WRs. make no mistake about that. But he wouldnt even have to. Just feed Kyle and hand off to AD. See Defenses will trust his arm and not stack the box.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote: Brees would have seen Aromashadu wide open. He would have hit that TD pass. There were numerous other receivers open Ponder missed. There was "pressure" that didn't exist he still ran from.

What games are you watching? Brees would have seen Aromashadu open and hit him (and of course he would have caught it)? :confused: Ponder was running for his life taking one hit after another with no time in the pocket. But Brees would have stood in there all 6 ft. 185 lbs. of him spotted all of the receivers that were open all day and completed passes to them. And pulled out a win. According to you and "koolaid " Ponder lost this game. Oh yeah and the receivers would not have dropped his passes like they did Ponders, AD would not have fumbled 2 times , the field goal by Walsh would not have been missed, Kluwe would have punted better :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And oh by the way did Brees beat the 49ers today? No that was a Ponder lead Viking team. Would you like to compare the stats of Ponder versus the 49ers and Brees' stats against them?
Senseless arguing the subject we all get it. You and Koolaid hate Ponder :yawn:

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Boon wrote: Its not hating, its not senseless arguing. Its a matter of Ponder vs Brees? Are you serious? Like for real? Drew brees would throw for 800 yards with 9 defenders in the box all game
Geez I did not say that Ponder is better than Brees. I said that Brees would NOT, as Demi argued, have this team in first place. I also said that Ponder did not lose this game singlehandedly and gave all the reasons why I felt that way.
I also said that having Brees at qb would not have overcome all of the faults that befell this Viking team causing them to lose. I also said that a Ponder lead Viking team beat the 49ers (and oh by the way check Ponder's stats in that game) and Brees' team lost to them today.

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Demi wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgOYvlVqSSs

:rofl:

Nah, not windy there at all!
That was great, never seen that before.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Thanks! The video confirms what I'd read before, he didn't quite whiff on it completely, but damned close. I think I'd read it went about 4-5 yards in front of him, still well behind the LoS, think I read minus 7 yard punt.