Vikings revive play-action

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings revive play-action

Post by dead_poet »

Thought this was an informative blurb.
As the Minnesota Vikings return from their bye this week, it's worth circling back on a weapon that should work to their extreme benefit as long as tailback Adrian Peterson is running at his current pace.

The Vikings' play-action game dipped inexplicably at midseason, coinciding roughly with three losses in four games, but the team revived it with a near-perfect implementation Nov. 11 against the Detroit Lions. As the Vikings put up a season-high 34 points, quarterback Christian Ponder completed eight of nine play-action passes for 60 yards and the first touchdown of the game.

As we've discussed, the Vikings aren't constructed to be a high-flying downfield passing team. They don't want to be, and as long as Peterson stays on the field, they don't have to be. That's why the play-action game makes so much sense. Defenders must respect every step that Ponder takes toward Peterson, and any hesitation is enough to give the Vikings' pass-catchers an advantage.

To offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave's credit, Ponder has thrown the third-most play-action passes (104) of any quarterback in the NFL. They represent nearly a third of his total attempts (32.3 percent), trailing only Robert Griffin III of the Washington Redskins (39.4 percent) in frequency.

Like anything else, play-action can become predictable. But we've reached the point of the season when teams shave the fat from their playbook, focus on what they do well and try to ride it to the postseason. The Vikings' play-action game should be a consistent and productive weapon as they make their playoff push.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... lay-action
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings revive play-action

Post by Lash Man »

I never understand why we don't work to sell the play action better than we do . When you have the best running game in football the PAP should be devastating , especially the tight end down the middle after the safeties get sucked up for the run . I rarely see a pass that involves the tight end up the middle of the field or a wide receiver on a quick slant after a fake to AD . I think Musgrave needs to evolve in his play calling and Ponder as well if you sell the fake the play action should be wide open and it doesnt involve dangerous passes to the flat that teams are waiting on .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I sure do agree with the Vikings increasing their play-action snaps. Adrian Peterson has become a nightmare for defensive coordinators. Why not rub it in some more? :D

I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings utilize a few more shotgun sets as well, including having Peterson run from the shotgun set. Ponder seems to like working from the shotgun and it could add more dimension to their offense, in my view. Play-action can be used there too.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ponder should watch Schaub. He sells the crap out of it.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

2 reasons PA doesnt work well for us. First, defenders simply dont respect Ponder's throwing ability. Second, he sucks at it. Even McNabb sold it better, and the D knew the best he could do was a bounce pass.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:2 reasons PA doesnt work well for us. First, defenders simply dont respect Ponder's throwing ability. Second, he sucks at it. Even McNabb sold it better, and the D knew the best he could do was a bounce pass.

:deadhorse: :wallbang: It never ends with you Ponder has led this team to a 6-4 record soon to be in first place, Happy Thanksgiving any way.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yeah, Ponder "led" them. Not the defense. Or Adrian. Or Percy. :wallbang:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote:Yeah, Ponder "led" them. Not the defense. Or Adrian. Or Percy. :wallbang:
Oh I forgot when the Vikings lose it is on Ponder but when they win he gets no credit. :confused:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Purple bruise wrote: Oh I forgot when the Vikings lose it is on Ponder but when they win he gets no credit. :confused:
You really think Ponder had more to do with the wins then anyone else mentioned? Have you seen his stats? 1 good game does not a season make. No D takes him seriously, nor do ANY announcers. If he can string together a few good games thngs may change. He is NOT the reason we are winning. Perhaps the first half of the season was?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: You really think Ponder had more to do with the wins then anyone else mentioned? Have you seen his stats? 1 good game does not a season make. No D takes him seriously, nor do ANY announcers. If he can string together a few good games thngs may change. He is NOT the reason we are winning. Perhaps the first half of the season was?
No Ponder did not win the games nor did he lose them it is a team sport BUTT QBs are like pitchers and their records are also indicated by number of wins and loses. You and laughing boy( :rofl: ) take any and all opprotunities to bash Ponder at every turn. We all truly get it you guys hate Ponder :wallbang:

sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

Well if the Vikes land a true no. 1 receiver (not that Harvin isn't but he just isn't) to stretch the field next year I would like to see the Pistol formation with AD. I believe it would be devastating to defenses.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Ponder can't sell it. Kaepernick looked great at selling it.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

NextQuestion wrote:Ponder can't sell it. Kaepernick looked great at selling it.
The pistol offense he ran at Nevada employed the fake a lot so he has tons of practice.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

3 things. It seems some of you didn't actually read the article. It's not that we're utilizing it more, it's that we did it better last game. As in bold, we have the third most PA attempts in the league

Second I don't understand the notion that "it doesn't work because defenses don't respect ponders passing ability". If that were the case it should work better, defenses would bite more on the run fake

Third, I have no idea where this notion that ponder is bad at it is coming from... It's been something I've heard analysts/scouts say is something he does well since his college days and I personally have never seen any issues with his fakes
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

saint33 wrote:3 things. It seems some of you didn't actually read the article. It's not that we're utilizing it more, it's that we did it better last game. As in bold, we have the third most PA attempts in the league

Second I don't understand the notion that "it doesn't work because defenses don't respect ponders passing ability". If that were the case it should work better, defenses would bite more on the run fake

Third, I have no idea where this notion that ponder is bad at it is coming from... It's been something I've heard analysts/scouts say is something he does well since his college days and I personally have never seen any issues with his fakes
Couldn't agree more with your first two points. The third, it just was so incredibly evident between Ponder and Schaub after watching the Texans on Thanksgiving. I had no idea some times (neither did the camera man) if it was a run or a pass. Ponder, I can almost always tell. Now, maybe it's different at field level. But Schaub seems to always about put it right in Foster's numbers before pulling it back at the last second. I've seen Ponder sometimes attempt to "fake" it to Peterson's shoulder or pull back too quickly. Of course, some of this could be on the running back for not helping to sell it. Just by my "eyeball test" it seems like an easy area to fine-tune to help freeze some defenders if done properly.