Vikings revive play-action

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Vikings revive play-action

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: Couldn't agree more with your first two points. The third, it just was so incredibly evident between Ponder and Schaub after watching the Texans on Thanksgiving. I had no idea some times (neither did the camera man) if it was a run or a pass. Ponder, I can almost always tell. Now, maybe it's different at field level. But Schaub seems to always about put it right in Foster's numbers before pulling it back at the last second. I've seen Ponder sometimes attempt to "fake" it to Peterson's shoulder or pull back too quickly. Of course, some of this could be on the running back for not helping to sell it. Just by my "eyeball test" it seems like an easy area to fine-tune to help freeze some defenders if done properly.
I see the same thing. It looks like he is too worried about protection braking down and doesn't really seem to commit to the fake. Pulls the ball from the RB too quickly.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:I see the same thing. It looks like he is too worried about protection braking down and doesn't really seem to commit to the fake. Pulls the ball from the RB too quickly.
I think it varies. He doesn't execute it the same way every time and that alone is something to work on. However, I don't think he executes the play action fake poorly, it's just not a strength yet.
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

P.A. works, not because of how the qb acts on the fake handoff, but rather on what he does after he actually hands it off. What does his body, more specifically his eyes, shoulders and feet do after he actually hands the ball off. If after the handoff he gives the look like he will pass, it gives the defense a baseline look of what handoff action looks like. If the qb stares at the run, and his body does not show pass on a handoff it will than look completely different on play action. These guys watch film, they pick up on this, and it makes it less effective. Think back to how many times you saw Favre pretend to throw after he handed off. That is what sets up the p.a.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: I think it varies. He doesn't execute it the same way every time and that alone is something to work on. However, I don't think he executes the play action fake poorly, it's just not a strength yet.
I agree, Jim. He just ins't consistant. When I do see the problem that is what I see. Not saying I see it every play. Far from it.