Playoff Chances

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by Mothman »

yezzir wrote: So we want the panthers, 49ers, raiders, browns, falcons

That's correct. Those results would benefit the Vikes the most.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Mothman wrote:
That's correct. Those results would benefit the Vikes the most.
It sucks when the Vikes are on Bye, but it is nice not having elevated blood pressure for 3 hours.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

yezzir wrote:It sucks when the Vikes are on Bye, but it is nice not having elevated blood pressure for 3 hours.
:lol: Yes, it is...
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

CalVike wrote:I believe this can happen.

Bears road .. Win
Packers road .. Loss
Bears home .. Win
Rams road .. Win
Texans road .. Loss
Packers home .. Win

For 10-6. But more likely a split with the Bears for 9-7. And possibly a sneaky Texans win if they rest starters. They could surprise me and stink it up but I have seen enough to give them some faith. Go Vikes!
Don't think we beat the Bears twice despite missing Cutler; their defense is still lights and will put seven to eight in the box against AP all game because they don't have to respect Ponder and his ability to throw the ball down the field. Packers haven't looked like the Packers, so they are vulnerable; not sure about that Rams game either...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Don't know if anybody caught the Packers Vs. Lions or Texans games ... but both of those teams looked beatable.

I think the Vikings can split with both the Bears and the Packers. Especially if Ponder can build on his performance against the Lions instead of his normal one step forward one step back routine.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Well todays games pretty much sucked for the Vikings playoff chances three teams we needed to lose all squeaked out ugly wins , just our luck . I just hope the whiners can help us out tomorrow night !
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

The Vike's play-off chances are basically in their own hands. I do feel though that the Bears minus Cutler should lose against the 49ers and that would be a huge help.
For such a young team, in full rebuild mode (eleven different starters and quite young) this team is exceeding most people's expectations. It will take another solid draft and picking up a good deep threat and hopefully getting Cook back and healthy to take that next step. That being said anything can and usually does happen. Some surprize team will make a run and that could be the Vikes. That will take Ponder stepping up to the plate and doing a whole lot better and being consistent. The other component will be Jared Allen, who in my opinion has really played poorly this year. Most games he has been a non-factor.
Any way I will stay hopefull but it probably will be next year until we see a quantum leap and a whole lot more success :thumbsup:
Last edited by Purple bruise on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cliff wrote:Don't know if anybody caught the Packers Vs. Lions or Texans games ... but both of those teams looked beatable.

I think the Vikings can split with both the Bears and the Packers. Especially if Ponder can build on his performance against the Lions instead of his normal one step forward one step back routine.
I completely agree with the above.

Also, when it comes to the NFL North teams playing each other, a person can throw the W/L records and stats out the window. Usually it's going to be a tough game no matter what.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Angels Wings wrote: Don't think we beat the Bears twice despite missing Cutler; their defense is still lights and will put seven to eight in the box against AP all game because they don't have to respect Ponder and his ability to throw the ball down the field. Packers haven't looked like the Packers, so they are vulnerable; not sure about that Rams game either...
Well, since every other team has been putting 8 in the box I don't know why the Bears won't. Maybe, just maybe Ponder will figure out how to throw to someone past the box when they do it.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

losperros wrote: I completely agree with the above.

Also, when it comes to the NFL North teams playing each other, a person can throw the W/L records and stats out the window. Usually it's going to be a tough game no matter what.
I think the Packers are beatable twice. They are a bit banged up, again. They have revamped the O-line once again due to injuries, and they have had some bad luck on defense as well. And so far this year they have not been able to stop the run. MN needs to get the lead early and not let Rodger throw down field.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Raptorman wrote: I think the Packers are beatable twice. They are a bit banged up, again. They have revamped the O-line once again due to injuries, and they have had some bad luck on defense as well. And so far this year they have not been able to stop the run. MN needs to get the lead early and not let Rodger throw down field.
The template to beating GB is to not commit stupid turnovers. The Lions committed 4 and still were within a score of them. Don't give them short fields and you have a chance. no need to respect their running game which will allow for more DB in pass protection. Neither game is a sure thing for either team. Bears are very 1 dimensional on O without Cutler, also both teams are weakest on OL which should favor the strength of our DL. Vikings will have to play sound football for 60 minutes, but those games are within reach if we can overachieve a bit.

I generally agree that this Vikings squad is not quite "there" yet in terms of the playoffs. However, depending on who we play, I could see us winning a game. All depends on matchups.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

The Vikings will go 1-3 against the Bears and Packers. I think you're living in fantasy land if you think the Vikings will go 3-1 against them, much less 4-0. The Vikings can't beat teams with competent quarterbacks.

Also, when doing these prognostications, it's important to keep in mind that the Vikings have the hardest remaining schedule in the NFL -- juxtapose that with their 23rd ranked schedule thus far. And they barely squeezed a winning record out of that.

Playoffs are a pipe dream. Just enjoy watching your young players improve, and start figuring out which quarterbacks will be declaring for the 2013 draft. Vikings will finish up 9-7 at best; 8-8 more realistically.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Sinatra wrote:The Vikings will go 1-3 against the Bears and Packers. I think you're living in fantasy land if you think the Vikings will go 3-1 against them, much less 4-0. The Vikings can't beat teams with competent quarterbacks.

Also, when doing these prognostications, it's important to keep in mind that the Vikings have the hardest remaining schedule in the NFL -- juxtapose that with their 23rd ranked schedule thus far. And they barely squeezed a winning record out of that.

Playoffs are a pipe dream. Just enjoy watching your young players improve, and start figuring out which quarterbacks will be declaring for the 2013 draft. Vikings will finish up 9-7 at best; 8-8 more realistically.

Last I checked Stafford put up 5000 yards last year and we've beaten him twice already. I can see the case that Rogers is better, but I think an argument could be made that Stafford is better than Cutler, plus Stafford has superior targets. They are not out of this hunt yet.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Wow tone down those purple shades guys.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Wow tone down those purple shades guys.
Did you see our last game? We've got it all figured out now. :?