Playoff Chances

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Playoff Chances

Post by Cliff »

mansquatch wrote: I agree completely. These are games where our DL has the potential to take them over. Not saying they will, both teams have good players as well, but there is potential against such weak protection, esepcially in the case of the Bears.

The playoff hunt will become more clear in the next 2-3 games. The NFC is completely up for grabs. Even the teams, like SF and Atlanta that are presented as the dominant forces in the NFC are not really that far beyond the rest of the pack.
For whatever it's worth the Packers are underdogs against NYG and the Vikings and Bears are even (as far as the oddsmakers go).

It's going to be a fun week for watching football ... I hope the Vikings can come out on top. Beating the Bears would be another huge step.
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

According to Football Outsiders' statistics, the Vikings have a 9.9% chance of making the playoffs.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

808vikingsfan wrote:
According to NFL.COM, the Vikings are not even in the picture.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... yoff-picks
And that means what again :?: :yawn:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Purple bruise wrote: And that means what again :?: :yawn:
Nothing.

If the Vikings win next week and Greenbay loses they'll start including them again.

Their talking about the Cowboys who are seemingly even less likely than the Vikings to make the playoffs is pretty silly.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

808vikingsfan wrote:
According to NFL.COM, the Vikings are not even in the picture.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... yoff-picks
Well I don't have a problem with any of that. They can say what they want. Football outsiders bases it's information on the past games and makes the assumption that all teams will play the same the rest of the year. What they can't do is put in the intangibles. For example, Green Bay's O-line may have done a good job the first half of the year. But now with one of their starters out, will the O-line be the same, better or worse? That is one thing their DVOA rankings cannot account for. Injuries, and how they change the game. What about the Pats, without Gronk are they the same team? Can the next guy step in and make the same plays?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

The bears may be the most overrated team in football right now. Their defense is really the only reason I fear them at all. Yea they are 7-3, but look at their schedule and find a game that really stands out as an impressive victory?

Indianapolis, at home vs a rookie qb making his first start, their most impressive win so far
St Louis at home, meh
@ Dallas I'd rather have played Dallas than Washington
@ Jacksonville
Detroit barely beat the lions at home
Carolina needed a miracle comeback against Carolina at home
@ Tennessee

Not saying the vikings are clearly better or anything, but we have proven we can beat an above average team, the bears haven't. Their defense has carried a team that is offensively weak even with cutler at the helm and they've won the games they're expected to. I'm not betting on the Vikings to win tomorrow, but of they win handledly I wouldnt be surprised in the least
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Cliff wrote:Their talking about the Cowboys who are seemingly even less likely than the Vikings to make the playoffs is pretty silly.
I wonder if they are still talking about the Cowboys taking the division?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Raptorman wrote: I wonder if they are still talking about the Cowboys taking the division?
The Giants/Packers will have a huge impact on the Cowboy's chances and also the Bears and Vikings.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

If we are going to have any realistic shot of making the playoffs, we have to win tomorrow. We can't be sitting at 6-5 in this tough NFC and expect to make it, not after losing head to head against Tampa and Seattle.

I'd argue tomorrow is a do or die game for us.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

After the loss today to the Bears, our playoff chances go back down to 9.6%. I will say, our only chance is Webb to the rescue. Call me crazy but that is the only glimmer of hope this team has and I am not drinking tonite either.

Positive from today: Packers are getting their a$$ kicked right now. That is all.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Actually, there were a number of positives today. Seattle, Tampa, and new Orleans losing, along with the packers looking bad.

Unfortunately none of those positives have to do with the performance of our ball club
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

This thread is funny.

The Vikes might not win another game this year.
I'm hoping for a top 10 pick at 6-10.
I am still amazed they won 6. This is a horrible team, guys.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

It is the NFL, so anything is possible, but I'm not liking our chances right now. The OL still has talent gaps that are too big to cover up and the WR are just flat awful if PH isn't playing. Coaching staff is making questionable decisions as well. Losing Chris Cook hurt a lot also.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Funny thing. I was thinking about this, and I'd really, truly, rather have the Packers not make the playoffs, than to have the Vikes make the playoffs. My measure of success is 8-8 this year. A winning record would be astounding. But we aren't going places in the playoffs, so it would be a pleasant surprise, but one that would only last a week long, and end in disappointment most likely.

But to have the Pack miss the playoffs as the consensus Superbowl pick. Well that would brighten my offseason for months.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

John_Viveiros wrote:Funny thing. I was thinking about this, and I'd really, truly, rather have the Packers not make the playoffs, than to have the Vikes make the playoffs. My measure of success is 8-8 this year. A winning record would be astounding. But we aren't going places in the playoffs, so it would be a pleasant surprise, but one that would only last a week long, and end in disappointment most likely.

But to have the Pack miss the playoffs as the consensus Superbowl pick. Well that would brighten my offseason for months.
The only icing on the cake would be if the Vikings knocked them out of the playoffs in the last game.