Adrian Peterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Arjuna
Franchise Player

Adrian Peterson

Post by Arjuna »

Coming off his ACL and MCL tears, I never would have thought he would be putting this kind of year together. Through 10 games he has 1,128 yards rushing, 5.8 YPC, 7 TDs. He could end up putting up the most yardage he has ever had in a season. I think this injury has him running smarter. He doesn't seem to be taking big unnecessary hits, and to my eye he seems much more consistent. Best RB of his generation, we are spoiled to be able to watch him.
"Oh you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
Demi
Commissioner

Re: Adrian Peterson

Post by Demi »

Man it's amazing watching him run.

I think they need to replace the running backs coach though. The analysts commented on how easy a job it must be...then Peterson drops a screen pass. And got pushed back on a block. How he can consistently be pushed back considering his size, and seeing guys who are 5'10 190 with good leverage holding there own, imagine if he added that dimension to his game.

And like Sanders, he's on a middle of the road team that just can't get the QB position going. :(
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Unbelievable. He is absolutely amazing. I still remember when we had the choice to either draft Brady Quinn or AD and we chose AD. Compare the two and see which one would have benefited our team more. The obvious answer is AD. I'm so glad we chose him, because I believe he is a future hall-of-famer
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Zulgad piece on this topic.

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=6011
"Trust me, I took a lot of heat for that," Peterson said of being caught last week. "From teammates and from buddies back home, family ... but I'm one of the biggest critics on myself. I told those guys, I said, 'Hey, if I break loose again, then that definitely won't happen.'
AD rocks!!!
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Demi wrote:
I think they need to replace the running backs coach though. The analysts commented on how easy a job it must be...then Peterson drops a screen pass. And got pushed back on a block. How he can consistently be pushed back considering his size, and seeing guys who are 5'10 190 with good leverage holding there own, imagine if he added that dimension to his game.
If he improves these two facets of his game (and he very well could), he'd be the best of all time, easily. That dropped pass was a rough one. Right in his hands and he looked away and started making a move before he had it. Just a small mental lapse, but those make a difference. And he really does struggle in pass blocking. Of course, there are different kinds of strength, and it could be that the same muscle memory and leverage that makes him excel as a runner hamper his blocking ability. :confused:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

I bet the fact that he didn't rush for over 1000 yards last year pisses him off. He rushed for like 970 or whatever before getting hurt, but still...that's one year in the career stats that doesn't have four digits of rushing yards.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

He's fun to watch, but Adrian Peterson will never win a championship for the Minnesota Vikings. That's just the reality of the NFL. The Vikings may well have done better drafting Brady Quinn.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Eli wrote:He's fun to watch, but Adrian Peterson will never win a championship for the Minnesota Vikings. That's just the reality of the NFL. The Vikings may well have done better drafting Brady Quinn.
I doubt it. As good as John Elway was as a QB, he couldn't win a Super Bowl on his own. Until Terrell Davis joined the Broncos, Elway failed to get a Super Bowl trophy. Just sayin...

Edit: Terrell Davis :oops:
Last edited by Just Me on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Arjuna wrote:Coming off his ACL and MCL tears, I never would have thought he would be putting this kind of year together. Through 10 games he has 1,128 yards rushing, 5.8 YPC, 7 TDs. He could end up putting up the most yardage he has ever had in a season. I think this injury has him running smarter. He doesn't seem to be taking big unnecessary hits, and to my eye he seems much more consistent. Best RB of his generation, we are spoiled to be able to watch him.
You can say that again! He's just amazing. and I never expected him to put this kind of season together in 2012 either.

I bought a Peterson jersey yesterday morning. :) I've been wanting one forever and I decided this was the season to do it since he's exceeding expectations and playing some of the best football of his career.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Adri ... down111112
The scariest thing for opposing defenses is that Peterson continues to say he still is not back to 100 percent. It's a weekly question and one day maybe Peterson will say he's all the way back. But despite his success in recent weeks, he refused to say his recovery was complete.

"I still can get stronger," he said. "I'm still not there man. I'm pressing to get there, so this bye week is going to be great for me, just all of the nicks I'll be able to recover (from) and I'm definitely going to be working during the bye week because it's not off for me. I'm going to come back stronger and better after the bye."

Souhan: Enjoy it, Minnesotans, greatness is in our midst
Adrian Peterson is becoming the player of the year when he should have been thrilled with being considered the comeback player of the year.
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:He's fun to watch, but Adrian Peterson will never win a championship for the Minnesota Vikings. That's just the reality of the NFL.
That's correct, the reality of a team sport like football is that one player can never win a championship on his own.

Of course, Peterson could win a championship with the Minnesota Vikings...
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

He's already a hall-of-fame running back, and we haven't seen all he will accomplish in his career. Deep respect for Mr. Peterson... one hell of a football player, and a really decent young man.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Just Me wrote:I doubt it. As good as John Elway was as a QB, he couldn't win a Super Bowl on his own. Until Terrell Davis joined the Broncos, Elway failed to get a Super Bowl trophy. Just sayin...
fixed it for you, but everyone already knew who you ment :)
Formerly AADPFan
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

AADPFan wrote: fixed it for you, but everyone already knew who you meant :)
Thanks! :oops: I was on "autopilot" when typing and I didn't even catch that! :lol:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... vikings-40
It's important to note some of the exotic defensive fronts the Lions used in the fourth quarter to try to stop him, including four and sometimes five defensive linemen on the field in a quasi-short yardage look. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Lions used at least eight men in the box on nine of Peterson's 11 fourth-quarter rushes. He still picked up 97 yards on those carries, including his 61-yard touchdown scamper.
Impressive! That's a real credit to both Peterson and the run-blocking his teammates gave him.