Bye week status

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Bye week status

Post by CalVike »

It's maddening in so many ways the inconsistency on both offense & defense, because in the big picture pre-bye, we did some interesting things ...

Went 6-4; lost to 3 teams with winning records as of today Seahawks, Bucs, and Colts with only 3-6 Redskins on road the aberration; beat the 4-5 Lions twice, the 6-2 49ers at home, the 4-5 Cards, the 4-6 Titans, and the 1-8 Jags.

Not a bad start to the follow up to a 3-13 season.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: Bye week status

Post by BGM »

They have already equaled the win total I was hoping and thinking they would before the season started. So, any wins here on out are gravy, IMO. However, while I like the improvement overall, there are certain areas (QB, MLB, WR) that are inconsistent, underperforming, or otherwise plain old stinkeroo.

Still, for a rebuilding year, there has certainly been some excitement.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Now for the crazy part. Chicago is 7-2, Green Bay is 6-3. Chicago plays the Niners who just tied this week. If they lose it puts them at 7-3. If Green Bay loses to Detroit, 6-4. The following week MN beats the Bears, and MN is in the division lead. The week the Vikes play the Bears, the Pack gets to go to the Giants. Who like MN has this week off. Won't matter if the Pack beats the Giants and go to 7-4. If they lose to the Lions(not likely) but if, MN would hold the tiebreaker at that point.

What a fun final half of the season this is going to be. :v):
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see 3-3 with that schedule. It's been some time since the Vikings have finished a season strong and this one is definitely an uphill battle. Four road games is already tough but to have them against Houston, Chicago, and Green Bay, yikes. That schedule looks like 1-5 or 2-4 to me, with the Rams and the home game with GB as most winnable.

Then again, I didn't think this team had a shot against SF so what do I know.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

S197 wrote:I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see 3-3 with that schedule. It's been some time since the Vikings have finished a season strong and this one is definitely an uphill battle. Four road games is already tough but to have them against Houston, Chicago, and Green Bay, yikes. That schedule looks like 1-5 or 2-4 to me, with the Rams and the home game with GB as most winnable.

I see it the exact same way. (Including the disclaimer in case we're wrong).
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Kind of funny because we still control our own destiny. Win out and we are in.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

CalVike wrote:It's maddening in so many ways the inconsistency on both offense & defense, because in the big picture pre-bye, we did some interesting things ...

Went 6-4; lost to 3 teams with winning records as of today Seahawks, Bucs, and Colts with only 3-6 Redskins on road the aberration; beat the 4-5 Lions twice, the 6-2 49ers at home, the 4-5 Cards, the 4-6 Titans, and the 1-8 Jags.

Not a bad start to the follow up to a 3-13 season.
Well, that's a glass half full I'd say. Glass half empty would be that we've only beaten one team with a winning record (at home against a team quite possibly looking past us), barely beat a 1-8 team at home, and lost on the road to a 3-6 team. Looking ahead we have 5/6 games against teams currently .667 or better, and the 6th is on the road against a team with a better record than the 3-6 team we lost to on the road-- a team that just tied the one winning team we've beaten all season.

I'm going to be cheering for this team, but even if they win their next 3 games leaving them at 9-4 with a 5-0 divisional record, I'll *still* be worried that they will miss the playoffs. They would likely need just 1 more win to clinch the playoffs if they win the next 3, and with the Rams and GB@home we'd think we'll win at least one. But that's *exactly* the type of scenario we'll manage to lose the division to GB on the last game and end up tied with TB/Sea for the WC, losing out on the playoffs all together.

Loved the win yesterday-- but just not feeling terribly optimisitc.
Craig S
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

I see us beating the rams and probably one of the 4 games with the packers and bears. That would make us 8-8, which is still a great record for a previously 3-13 team
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see 3-3 with that schedule. It's been some time since the Vikings have finished a season strong and this one is definitely an uphill battle. Four road games is already tough but to have them against Houston, Chicago, and Green Bay, yikes. That schedule looks like 1-5 or 2-4 to me, with the Rams and the home game with GB as most winnable.
I see it exactly the same, with 0-6 a distinct possibility.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

That's just it, nobody knows. They could go 0-6, 2-4, 3-3, 4-2... we don't know who will be healthy or injured, what weather conditions will be, who will step up to exploit a particular matchup, etc. It's pretty clear that this Vikings team can play competitively with just about anyone IF they put their best foot forward. Green Bay and Chicago have had their struggles. Houston's a tough, matchup but not unbeatable. The Rams compete hard but are clearly not an elite team. There are winnable games remaining on the schedule and I don't think the Vikes are done winning this season. I'll be pretty shocked if they don't win another game, surprised if they don't win at least 2 and very pleased if they win 3 or more. :)
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Coming off the Bye we will have to be the most Healthy team in the NFL, Guion and Harvin will be back and the only Injury that has someone out would be Cook, pretty awesome and they could all use that good weeks rest especially adrian!
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:That's just it, nobody knows. They could go 0-6, 2-4, 3-3, 4-2... we don't know who will be healthy or injured, what weather conditions will be, who will step up to exploit a particular matchup, etc.
They _could_ do a lot of things, but the probability of them going 4-2 or better is about 1000 to 1. I'd say they're much more likely to get 0 wins in the remaining games than they are to get 3. One or two wins sounds most likely.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:They _could_ do a lot of things, but the probability of them going 4-2 or better is about 1000 to 1. I'd say they're much more likely to get 0 wins in the remaining games than they are to get 3. One or two wins sounds most likely.
It sounds most likely... to you.

I didn't say the odds of them going 4-2 were high, just that it was possible. Frankly, I don't think 0-6 is any more likely than 4-2 but we all have our own view of the team and none of us know what will happen. The Vikes have already defied the expectations of an awful lot of fans and prognosticators. I don't see any reason why they can't do it at least a few more times this season.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote: It sounds most likely... to you.
What's your prediction, apart from "nobody knows"?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: What's your prediction, apart from "nobody knows"?
As I said above, I'll be pretty shocked if they don't win another game, surprised if they don't win at least 2 and very pleased if they win 3 or more.

If you want me to nail it down to one specific number, I'd say 2 more wins.