Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

Post by Mothman »

This was a great win, a "bounce back" victory the Vikes really needed. They won the turnover battle, which is always a good sign! Peterson was superb and at this point, should be in both the MVP and Comeback Player of the Year conversations. The former is tough when you don't play QB but if he keeps playing like this and the Vikes actually reach the postseason, he'll deserve serious consideration.

Ponder performed admirably today, although not perfectly. He threw the ball much more accurately and authoritatively than he has in recent weeks, spreading it around and making key plays to sustain drives. He appeared to read the defense well and find the open man and he looked more comfortable in the pocket too. It was just the sort of encouraging performance the Vikes needed from him going into the bye.

Jarius Wright and Kyle Rudolph both stepped up and gave the Vikes a boost with Harvin out.

Greenway played very well and the Vikes stayed at home on run defense too. They were strong on 3rd down and that made a big difference in this game.

Calvin Johnson was too much for them to handle in the second half but they were able to get enough stops on defense to get the win.

The o-line did a fine job run blocking against a tough defensive front but the Vikes have to stop allowing unblocked defenders into the backfield. It's one thing when players get beat when a defender goes on unblocked, thats'a big problem and it's happening week after week.

The Vikes committed too many penalties, some of them easily avoidable mental errors, and they need to clean that up coming out of the bye week. they need to hang on to the ball a little better too. They dropped at least 4 catchable passes today.

It seemed to me that the "tweaks" Musgrave made to the pass routes were effective. Well done!

Overall, it was a satisfying win against a divisional opponent. I'll take as many of those as I can get, thank you! Kudos to the entire team for showing up ready to play and for delivering a great effort.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

Post by S197 »

Good points Jim. As I mentioned in the game thread, I'd also like to see the coaches come to a decision on several key personnel positions. They seem to waffle between Sanford and Raymond and also between Fusco and Schwartz. It appears Wright and Burton will be another one once Percy is back in the lineup (this one seems like an no brainer but the coaching staff has sat Wright for 10 games). I understand injuries play a factor here but our team is very young and the constant rotation makes it difficult to develop a cohesive unit.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Good win.

The Bears' and Packers' passing offenses are going to tear up this Vikings' defense, though. Week 16 could be a win if the Packers aren't playing for anything and they sit their starters.
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

No idea who or what this team is. Everyone is healthy and they barely put up 20 points. Lose Harvin and suddenly we are scoring 34 points.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I still get upset at the playcalling. In the redzone, I'm not sure we threw the ball into the end zone even once. THAT is a problem.

The 2nd half defense was embarassing. I realize Calvin Johnson is good and big... DOUBLE TEAM HIM. Bump him at the line. Heck, look at how unsettled he was after Harrison's hit in the first game. Someone shuold just lay him out even after the play ust to shake him up. I remember years ago teams started doing that to the Rams when they had "The Greatest show on Turf" and it made worlds of difference. they got scared.

Anyway, other than that, great game... Welcome to the NFL Jarius Wright!! And great game by Kluwe. I think all of his punts grossed 50+ yards.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I still get upset at the playcalling. In the redzone, I'm not sure we threw the ball into the end zone even once. THAT is a problem.
I agree but I wonder how often it was because of the play called and how often it was because there wasn't an open target. I honestly don't remember but I know on at least one of those plays (when Ponder dumped it to Gerhart on 3rd down), John Lynch made a point of saying there was nobody open and the checkdown was a smart move.
The 2nd half defense was embarassing. I realize Calvin Johnson is good and big... DOUBLE TEAM HIM. Bump him at the line.
It's the latter that frustrated me. They had him double-teamed on a few of those completions and it did no good. He still made the catch! I was getting pretty angry...

They gave up too much to Johnson but I can be a little more forgiving when that happens against a fantastic player like him than against lesser receivers. It's still bad news though and they need to do much better when they face Brandon Marshall in a few weeks.
Anyway, other than that, great game... Welcome to the NFL Jarius Wright!! And great game by Kluwe. I think all of his punts grossed 50+ yards.
Plus he made a tackle!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

:lol:
Christian Ponder: "I want to thank my girlfriend because obviously she has such a big impact on how I play. So, thank you."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote::lol:
:rofl: Well-played.
Iron Lion
Backup

Post by Iron Lion »

gg fellas
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

cut jarad allen ? are you nuts he is our leader on defense.

We need a better push from our DT's Willams rarely gets pressure up the middle.

I think we should get a DT or LB in the first round and go to a 3-4 defense I hate the tampa 2
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Right Now

I think our biggest problems are Loadholt.. and Johnson on OL .. Loadholt really gets lost on protection sometimes.. i hope we don't sign him.

We need another weapon WR we should play Wright and Harvin together and go with a jumbo set for protection
and let their speed hurt other teams
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

jackal wrote:We need another weapon WR we should play Wright and Harvin together and go with a jumbo set for protection
and let their speed hurt other teams
There is no reason to not play both Percy Harvin and Jarius Wright at this point. These guys are good. It's ridiculous that Wright has been sitting all this time.

I'm really hoping the Vikings aren't so limited in their thinking that they believe it has to be Harvin or Wright on the field. Wright can play wide out. He did it a lot for Arkansas. That means Harvin can remain at slot.

Whatever the case, these are two guys that Ponder likes to throw to and they make plays.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Good Post Jim

Felton and Kalil, great game.

AD is god, we all know that.

Ponder got his confidence back, what happened?

The D stopped the run. What happened?

We played better as a whole unit without PH. Thats very odd.

JA isnt doing well. Not good for trade talks. Robo is playing very well. Why cant they both at the same time have great games? They gotta start giving JA some rest during the game.

Big time issue is red zone. Too many FGs. No attempts at a single shot in the endzone. We got lucky with Kyle running that one in when the detroit guy slipped.

Makes my week. I hope Ponders play wasnt a fluke. More Wright, Less Jenkins please. Devin, Wright, and PH should open that field up
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: There is no reason to not play both Percy Harvin and Jarius Wright at this point. These guys are good. It's ridiculous that Wright has been sitting all this time.
Maybe he needed the work, although his speed has been there all along so it's pretty hard to understand why Stephen Burton would be up so much, no matter how well Burton blocks. he has hands of stone and he's no downfield threat.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Its so damn nice winning a division game going into the bye week.
The guys can feel well and come ready to play in week 11.