Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes/Lions post-game thoughts

Post by VikingLord »

In looking at the still frames, a couple of things stand out:

- The Lions clearly *want* Ponder to throw that checkdown. They've left it wide open and the obvious and easiest play for Ponder to make.
- The Lions are playing a nice blanket zone across the goal line here. They're also all facing Ponder and looking into the backfield. Nothing thrown in front of the goal line or a scramble has any chance of scoring.
- Where they are vulnerable is behind the goal line. Only way to score passing on this play is to throw it to the back of the endzone and probably out-leap one or more defenders. But this is what the Lions are counting on with Ponder - that he won't attempt a risky throw like that without an obvious big and tall target to go to. Probably the only guy the Vikes possess that could be such a target in that situation is Rudolph.
- Lions do something else interesting on the play. They rush 4, but the right DE takes a hard outside rush while the other 3 DL's largely stay home. This creates the illusion of an escape hatch on that side for a QB who has shown an eagerness to flush. Looking down the field, the Lions have 4 defensive players on that side near the goal line, all looking at the QB. If Ponder does flush that way, they'll easily corral him well before he gets near the goal.

All-in-all, the Lions offered Ponder two "easy outs" on this play, both of which would avoid a TD. The only way I see a TD on this play is an aggressive throw into a tight window near the back of the endzone. This could go into the corner of the endzone to a fading WR, or into the middle up high to a big target like Rudolph. But to have any chance the throw has to be decisive and extremely accurate. Ponder is probably not ready to make a throw like that yet, but if he's the answer at QB he will eventually have to do it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:All-in-all, the Lions offered Ponder two "easy outs" on this play, both of which would avoid a TD. The only way I see a TD on this play is an aggressive throw into a tight window near the back of the endzone. This could go into the corner of the endzone to a fading WR, or into the middle up high to a big target like Rudolph. But to have any chance the throw has to be decisive and extremely accurate. Ponder is probably not ready to make a throw like that yet, but if he's the answer at QB he will eventually have to do it.
He's done it before so I disagree that he's not ready to make a throw like that. You said to have any chance a throw like you described has to be decisive and accurate. I agree. However, the missing ingredient is a receiver in either of the positions you mentioned, at the size you mentioned. There's no big target in the back of the endzone for Ponder to make a high, decisive, accurate throw to and there's no WR fading to the corner. If Ponder is going to make either throw, I think you'll agree someone has to be there to catch it. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:All-in-all, the Lions offered Ponder two "easy outs" on this play, both of which would avoid a TD. The only way I see a TD on this play is an aggressive throw into a tight window near the back of the endzone. This could go into the corner of the endzone to a fading WR, or into the middle up high to a big target like Rudolph. But to have any chance the throw has to be decisive and extremely accurate. Ponder is probably not ready to make a throw like that yet, but if he's the answer at QB he will eventually have to do it.
He's done it before so I disagree that he's not ready to make a throw like that. You said to have any chance a throw like you described has to be decisive and accurate. I agree. However, the missing ingredient is a receiver in either of the positions you mentioned, at the size you mentioned. There's no big target in the back of the endzone for Ponder to make a high, decisive, accurate throw to and there's no WR fading to the corner. If Ponder is going to make either throw, I think you'll agree someone has to be there to catch it. :)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Sounds to me like the Lions had a pretty sound defensive strategy on that play then and with 7 points being unlikely the check down to gerhart and giving him a small chance for a TD or most likely taking the 3 points is the smart play and one I can live with. What would have been unacceptable is forcing the ball in there trying to get a TD and it gets picked off, how much more ridicule would we see of Ponder then!
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

mondry wrote:Sounds to me like the Lions had a pretty sound defensive strategy on that play then and with 7 points being unlikely the check down to gerhart and giving him a small chance for a TD or most likely taking the 3 points is the smart play and one I can live with. What would have been unacceptable is forcing the ball in there trying to get a TD and it gets picked off, how much more ridicule would we see of Ponder then!
Danged if he do, danged if he don't.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: He's done it before so I disagree that he's not ready to make a throw like that. You said to have any chance a throw like you described has to be decisive and accurate. I agree. However, the missing ingredient is a receiver in either of the positions you mentioned, at the size you mentioned. There's no big target in the back of the endzone for Ponder to make a high, decisive, accurate throw to and there's no WR fading to the corner. If Ponder is going to make either throw, I think you'll agree someone has to be there to catch it. :)
Where is Greg Lewis when you need him?

8)