With Harvin's injury it might be Wright time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

With Harvin's injury it might be Wright time

Post by dead_poet »

"It's just been real difficult because I like to play," said Wright, who caught 168 passes, averaged 17.5 yards and scored 24 times at Arkansas. "I like to compete. I like to help the team out."

Yet Wright has sat while others zoom on by. Three of the next six receivers drafted behind him already have played and caught passes. One of the three who hasn't is Wright's college and pro teammate, Greg Childs, who certainly would have played by now if he hadn't blown out both knees in training camp.

Wright, meanwhile, has spent the past nine weeks as a back-burner curiosity among fans still clinging to the possibilities they attached to him after he caught six passes for 122 yards (20.3), including a 59-yard touchdown, against Houston's backups in the Vikings' preseason finale. But the 5-10, 180-pounder suddenly finds himself relevant again. Percy Harvin, the guy he backs up, is on crutches with a left ankle the size of a Butterball turkey that's unlikely to shrink in time for Sunday's game against the Lions at Mall of America Field.

"Me, personally, I do think it's my opportunity to crack the door," Wright said. "I've been patiently waiting and if they feel like I'm ready, I feel like I'm ready also."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Re: With Harvin's injury it might be Wright time

Post by losperros »

Heck, I'd like to see Wright in there with Harvin. It shouldn't be either/or with those guys. Any WRs that can produce should be playing. Wright should get a chance to show what he can do. What, we're supposed to believe that Jenkins, Burton, and Aromashodu are just too good to take off the field?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Heck, I'd like to see Wright in there with Harvin. It shouldn't be either/or with those guys. Any WRs that can produce should be playing. Wright should get a chance to show what he can do. What, we're supposed to believe that Jenkins, Burton, and Aromashodu are just too good to take off the field?
:rofl: If they are, it doesn't say much for what Wright must be showing practice.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play this week.
sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

Well I don't know much about Wright, but for whatever reason he's not seeing the field. This week could be a outbreak game for him.

I don't understand why they don't put PH in the backfield and AD in the slot doing the fake end around they do with PH. Add wright and you might have something there. The defense would have to account for PH and AD that should open some things up.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

So, is Harvin out this week?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

If Wright is active against the Lions, it will be interesting to see how much he plays. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of Rudolph, Jenkins and Aromashodu targets in lieu of Percy Harvin. I hate to say this, but a missing Harvin may even be what this offense needs to break out of its rut of safe, predictable pass plays. If Ponder can hit a couple of downfield passes, he might even get some of his confidence back.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:So, is Harvin out this week?
Seems to be mixed stories about that. Apparently, Harvin has pain but he's played through pain before.

I'm thinking it will be a game day decision, unless Frazier has absolutely made up his mind already.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote:If Wright is active against the Lions, it will be interesting to see how much he plays. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of Rudolph, Jenkins and Aromashodu targets in lieu of Percy Harvin. I hate to say this, but a missing Harvin may even be what this offense needs to break out of its rut of safe, predictable pass plays. If Ponder can hit a couple of downfield passes, he might even get some of his confidence back.
Maybe. I don't want to reopen any old wounds (or debates) but this also has to do with imaginative playcalling. Can the individual players be used according to their strengths?

No way is Harvin just a bubble screen receiver and no way does he prevent the Vikings from going downfield. Harvin can go deep. He did it frequently with the Gators and he's done it on occasion with the Vikings. It's not impossible at all to send a slot receiver deep. Other teams do it with lesser talents than Harvin.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote: Seems to be mixed stories about that. Apparently, Harvin has pain but he's played through pain before.

I'm thinking it will be a game day decision, unless Frazier has absolutely made up his mind already.
ESPN 1500 this afternoon said Harvin was limping like an old man in the locker room today.

Harvin himself says he's very, very doubtful.

Unless it's a ruse, this doesn't bode well for Percy playing this weekend.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

losperros wrote:Heck, I'd like to see Wright in there with Harvin. It shouldn't be either/or with those guys. Any WRs that can produce should be playing. Wright should get a chance to show what he can do. What, we're supposed to believe that Jenkins, Burton, and Aromashodu are just too good to take off the field?
I think Wright hasn't played not because he's not as good as those other guys, but because he's essentially a poor-man's Percy Harvin. The two play the same role in the passing offense, and since Harvin sits his fair share of offensive plays there are no snaps left for Wright.

This is what made the Wright pick puzzling for me. Vikes draft a guy fairly high, but he doesn't have a spot on the field because the team already has a bonafide young star at the spot. I was confused when they moved up to grab Gerhart for the same reason. I suppose it gives them some cushion in case the star gets hurt, but... why use such high picks on cushions when you have so many other areas that are deficient among the starters? In the case of Wright it's especially confusing to me, because the Vikes draft a cushion receiver when they have gaping deficiencies at every other WR position.

I put the Gerhart move on Childress, but the Wright pick goes squarely on Spielman.

Wright could turn out to be a stud and I hope he does, but I still don't see where his playing time is going to come absent Harvin being out.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

I hope he can be a good tool for us since harvin is out. This is his time to shine and he needs to prove that he can be a player, and hopefully a starter in the future
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Why not put Wright in there......get the kid some playing time and see what he can do. what do they have to lose????
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

How could Wright do much worse then Jenkins or Devin? They are virtually invisiable.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Ponder could use someone like Wright before now. Jenkins and Aromashadu aren't going to get any seperation. At least Wright is quick enough to get the 5 yards Ponder needs before he has the confidence that his noodle arm will get the ball there.

Should have been getting snaps before now.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

And here's the thing I don't get. Not sure if it is just me or not. But I don't really recall any more than one Vikings WR being down field during a play. Oh am I missing something? So we know Harvin has some speed, we know Wright has some speed, based on his pre draft numbers. So you put both on the field, send both deep on either side of the field. That has to draw the DB's back. Which if I am not mistaken should open up the center or the near sides. Now you have a chance for Peterson coming out of the backfield or maybe a long pass greater than 10yrds. Or am I just way off on this?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966