With Harvin's injury it might be Wright time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: With Harvin's injury it might be Wright time

Post by losperros »

Boon wrote:People put too much emphasis on "spots". The Jets one time ran with 2 receivers named Moss and Coles and both were slot receivers and did quite well. You either can play or you can't, its that simple. If the guy can play get that bum Burton out of here and play Wright, I really have no idea why they haven't already. The Childs injury hurt us more that we think as a whole. That right there was the big receiver we needed and dumb luck struck.
I very much agree. Here's the deal, folks. Jarius Wright wasn't a Harvin-clone in college. While Harvin has always been a RB/slot receiver hybrid, Wright is a WR - period. He can play slot or wide out and averaged 17.5 yards per catch during his 4 years with the Razorbacks. IOW, Wright was capable of going deep for Arkansas. I know. I saw him do it against the best SEC defenses.

Quite honestly, if the Vikings view Wright as being solely a backup for Harvin, due to their size similarity, then I feel the coaches are being unimaginative. Maybe Wright is stinking it up in practice or whatever. I don't know. I'm not there to see it. But if they give Wright a chance to play, then I hope they allow him to play his game.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

losperros wrote: I very much agree. Here's the deal, folks. Jarius Wright wasn't a Harvin-clone in college. While Harvin has always been a RB/slot receiver hybrid, Wright is a WR - period. He can play slot or wide out and averaged 17.5 yards per catch during his 4 years with the Razorbacks. IOW, Wright was capable of going deep for Arkansas. I know. I saw him do it against the best SEC defenses.

Quite honestly, if the Vikings view Wright as being solely a backup for Harvin, due to their size similarity, then I feel the coaches are being unimaginative. Maybe Wright is stinking it up in practice or whatever. I don't know. I'm not there to see it. But if they give Wright a chance to play, then I hope they allow him to play his game.
What will really tick me off is if the kid turns out to be the deep threat that MN has been looking for and he has been riding the bench the last 8 games. Being low man on the totem pole, how many reps does he get with the first team in practice? We shall never know.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

If he is a Harvin clone there's a simple solution, just run 4 wr's and viola 2 slot receivers. Crap, that's not a bunch formation so we'll never see it in musgrave's offense heh.

Agree with Losperros totally though, if they won't give the guy the light of day because he's just harvin's back up then that's very silly.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Oooh, I think you're onto something... defenses won't know which bubble screen to smother.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Honestly, just do spread O, and do a short screen/flat whatever to a receiver and mix it up. Throw in AD. We gotta build our QBs cnfidence