Joe Kapp and the missing photgrapher

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Joe Kapp and the missing photgrapher

Post by DarthBrooks »

It's another thread about Joe, only this time it's Joe Kapp.

During the 60's Topps had a very lazy or intimidated photographer. Five times they used the same photograph for Joe Kapp, keeping him in a green uniform even when he was on the Vikings.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

I decided to fix it (somewhat) Here are remakes of the 1968 & 69 cards, showing Joe as he should have / could have been. I hope you enjoy them.

1968 Joe Kapp card Remade by Darth_Brooks_, on Flickr
1969 Joe Kapp card Remade by Darth_Brooks_, on Flickr
glg
Site Admin

Re: Joe Kapp and the missing photgrapher

Post by glg »

DarthBrooks wrote:During the 60's Topps had a very lazy or intimidated photographer. Five times they used the same photograph for Joe Kapp, keeping him in a green uniform even when he was on the Vikings.
Notice that there are 2 different CFL teams on those cards as well (Calgary Stampeders and BC Lions). I just checked and neither of them wore green either. He went to Cal (not green), after the Vikes played for the Pats (not green, also would have been after this shot). Must have been a practice jersey.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I am in awe of your work. Actually, I am in awe of the subject, but your work is pretty good, too. :wink:

I wish they had a photo of him running over the Cleveland Browns linebacker in '69, leaving the poor dude lying in a quivering pile on the cold Met Stadium turf.

All hail the great Joe Kapp.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:All hail the great Joe Kapp.
I would have never guessed you were such a big Joe Kapp fan!

:gone:
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I am in awe of your work. Actually, I am in awe of the subject, but your work is pretty good, too. :wink:

I wish they had a photo of him running over the Cleveland Browns linebacker in '69, leaving the poor dude lying in a quivering pile on the cold Met Stadium turf.

All hail the great Joe Kapp.
This has an extended profile of Kapp from the 1969 season. In it there's the famous shot of him nailing the Cleveland player. If you use firefox and downloadhelper you can save the Youtube link. It ends with the Championship game (no mention of the SuperBowl loss). It's fun to watch as an example of old school NFL Films. It's got the "They're Killing me Whitey, They're killing me" complaint from Lou Saban.

http://www.10yardwar.com/more-than-a-game/
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

DarthBrooks wrote: This has an extended profile of Kapp from the 1969 season. In it there's the famous shot of him nailing the Cleveland player. If you use firefox and downloadhelper you can save the Youtube link. It ends with the Championship game (no mention of the SuperBowl loss). It's fun to watch as an example of old school NFL Films. It's got the "They're Killing me Whitey, They're killing me" complaint from Lou Saban.

http://www.10yardwar.com/more-than-a-game/
Outstanding segment.

Now do you all see why I liked the guy so much?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.