Under 20 carries again?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Oakdale63
Backup

Under 20 carries again?

Post by Oakdale63 »

Second week in a row that Vikings could have leaned more on the unstoppable Peterson. The man was averaging much more per touch than our passing game and could clearly have moved the offense toward the red zone every drive. To only give the hottest running back in the league 17 touches when he gained more than 180 yards and 2 tds is a crime. Blame Ponder all you want, but I blame the game plan.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: Under 20 carries again?

Post by BGM »

It does seem rather ridiculous to use the best RB in the league only 20 times in a game, especially when there are obvious issues with the passing game.

Maybe the Vikings should go REALLY old school... AD left, AD right, AD up the middle. Rinse and repeat. At the very least it would eat up the clock far more than the current game plan.

And he was THE MAN yesterday. But he obviously cannot carry this team on his shoulders with under 20 carries per game. Look at what Doug Martin did with 25 for the Bucs yesterday.

But, then again... he is fifth in the league with 18.7 attempts per game. He also has 4 more runs of 20+ yards than the next closest RB. He obviously has been doing great, even with defenses not worrying about the passing game. Maybe there needs to be a fundamental shift this season to focus on running the ball.
Last edited by BGM on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

I don't even know. Musgrave outsmarts himself and it makes me want to throw my remote.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Arma wrote:I don't even know. Musgrave outsmarts himself and it makes me want to throw my remote.

Watch the throwing remote thing. I actually did that last week and the remote broke. :(
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

BGM wrote:But, then again... he is fifth in the league with 18.7 attempts per game. He also has 4 more runs of 20+ yards than the next closest RB. He obviously has been doing great, even with defenses not worrying about the passing game. Maybe there needs to be a fundamental shift this season to focus on running the ball.

Good points.

I realize that the Vikings are trying to rebuild this team and they may believe that sticking with certain things are necessary for the entire season. For example, they probably feel the need to ride the season out with Ponder to definitely conclude whether or not he's the right guy or not. But even so, I can't see why that would get in the way of running the ball more when it's really their only offensive strength. Not only do they have Adrian Peterson but Gerhardt is nothing to sneeze at either. These two backs can pound the ball, wear down defenses, and maybe even help the passing game find some much needed relief in the meantime.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:
Watch the throwing remote thing. I actually did that last week and the remote broke. :(

LOL! Sorry, I'm sure breaking the remote was frustrating but I couldn't help laughing at the mental picture of you chucking the thing in frustration over the Vikes.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Oakdale63 wrote:Second week in a row that Vikings could have leaned more on the unstoppable Peterson. The man was averaging much more per touch than our passing game and could clearly have moved the offense toward the red zone every drive. To only give the hottest running back in the league 17 touches when he gained more than 180 yards and 2 tds is a crime. Blame Ponder all you want, but I blame the game plan.
As long as we have no QB on the roster, I want AD's rushing numbers down. I want to save his legs for years when this team might actually contend.

Does it really matter that much if we go 9-7 versus 7-9? Or would you rather have a youthful AD on the team for the next time we truly contend for the Lombardi Trophy, if that's possible. There's only so much superman can do from the RB position when Christian Ponder or Joe Webb are calling the signals -- not to mention that the D isn't exactly going to make anyone forget the 85 Bears.
sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

I just have this nagging feeling that AD is going to go down in NFL lore as one of the best backs to play the game without reaching the dance.
ala Hercshal Walker, LT, Barry Sanders, OJ, Erick Dickerson et al.

I would feel damn lucky if he goes down like Walter at least he and us would have a championship to brag about.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

My initial thought from afar was that the Vikings missed an opportunity to continue pounding tailback Adrian Peterson after his 144-yard first half. But after closer inspection of the play-by-play, I understand why that happened. The Vikings faced a manageable 20-17 deficit at halftime, but the Seahawks' early-down defense put the Vikings in positions where they had to throw the ball. Peterson lost a yard on each of his first two carries of the third quarter and also was stopped for no gain on another play. If anything, it shows how far the Vikings are from being able to succeed in passing situations. With Peterson limited, their only points of the second half were a 55-yard field goal by place-kicker Blair Walsh.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... vikings-39
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:
LOL! Sorry, I'm sure breaking the remote was frustrating but I couldn't help laughing at the mental picture of you chucking the thing in frustration over the Vikes.

No problemo. I have a backup remote. Of course, it's partially broken as well because I...ahem...threw it in a rage about something else... :oops:

I may have to get remote therapy!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:No problemo. I have a backup remote. Of course, it's partially broken as well because I...ahem...threw it in a rage about something else... :oops:

I may have to get remote therapy!
Is that therapy from a remote location?
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

sdranger wrote:I just have this nagging feeling that AD is going to go down in NFL lore as one of the best backs to play the game without reaching the dance.
ala Hercshal Walker, LT, Barry Sanders, OJ, Erick Dickerson et al.

I would feel damn lucky if he goes down like Walter at least he and us would have a championship to brag about.
RBs don't have that much to do with winning a Super Bowl. Look back at the Super Bowl winners and tell me the last great RB you see. Marshall Faulk in 2000 is the only one that jumps out in the last 15 yrs (maybe Terrell Davis). To win Super Bowls, you need a great QB, great coach and great defense (usually). We have none.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It would be difficult to find fault in Peterson's use in the first half (12 carries). But the Vikings only possessed the ball four times in the second half. The defense couldn't keep Seattle off the field.

Third Quarter

Minnesota Vikings at 14:02
1-10-MIN10 (14:02) C.Ponder pass short right to P.Harvin pushed ob at MIN 19 for 9 yards (K.Chancellor).
2-1-MIN19 (13:32) A.Peterson left guard to MIN 18 for -1 yards (M.Morgan).
3-2-MIN18 (12:52) (Shotgun) C.Ponder pass short right to A.Peterson ran ob at MIN 21 for 3 yards. Seattle challenged the first down ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #1.)
1-10-MIN21 (12:28) A.Peterson right tackle to MIN 20 for -1 yards (A.Branch; B.Wagner).
2-11-MIN20 (11:50) C.Ponder scrambles up the middle to MIN 24 for 4 yards (B.Mebane).
3-7-MIN24 (11:09) (Shotgun) C.Ponder sacked at MIN 16 for -8 yards (sack split by B.Irvin and L.Hill).
4-15-MIN16 (10:39) C.Kluwe punts 53 yards to SEA 31, Center-C.Loeffler. L.Washington pushed ob at SEA 28 for -3 yards (A.Sendejo).

Minnesota Vikings at 04:04
1-10-MIN19 (4:04) A.Peterson right tackle to MIN 47 for 28 yards (B.Wagner).
1-10-MIN47
(3:26) P.Harvin left end to MIN 44 for -3 yards (B.Wagner, E.Thomas). PENALTY on SEA-B.Browner, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at MIN 44.
1-10-SEA41 (3:05) (Shotgun) C.Ponder pass short right to R.Ellison to SEA 37 for 4 yards (E.Thomas).
2-6-SEA37 (2:34) A.Peterson left guard to SEA 37 for no gain (E.Thomas).
3-6-SEA37 (1:57) (Shotgun) C.Ponder pass incomplete short right to K.Rudolph [B.Irvin].
4-6-SEA37 (1:52) B.Walsh 55 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Loeffler, Holder-C.Kluwe.
MIN 20 SEA 27, Plays: 6 Yards: 44 Possession: 2:22.

Fourth Quarter

Minnesota Vikings at 13:43
1-10-MIN6 (13:43) C.Ponder scrambles right end to MIN 8 for 2 yards (C.Clemons).
2-8-MIN8 (13:06) A.Peterson left end pushed ob at MIN 20 for 12 yards (B.Browner).
1-10-MIN20 (12:40) C.Ponder pass short left to A.Peterson to MIN 25 for 5 yards (R.Bryant; E.Thomas) [B.Mebane].
2-5-MIN25 (12:05) C.Ponder pass incomplete short right to J.Felton.
3-5-MIN25 (12:00) (Shotgun) C.Ponder pass incomplete short middle to P.Harvin.
4-5-MIN25 (11:56) C.Kluwe punts 35 yards to SEA 40, Center-C.Loeffler, fair catch by G.Tate.

Minnesota Vikings at 06:23
1-10-MIN20 (6:23) G.Schwartz reported in as eligible. C.Ponder pass incomplete deep left to J.Simpson (E.Thomas).
2-10-MIN20 (6:17) C.Ponder scrambles left tackle to MIN 25 for 5 yards (C.Clemons).
3-5-MIN25 (5:36) (Shotgun) C.Ponder pass deep left intended for P.Harvin INTERCEPTED by B.Browner at SEA 47. B.Browner to SEA 47 for no gain (P.Harvin).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:It would be difficult to find fault in Peterson's use in the first half (12 carries). But the Vikings only possessed the ball four times in the second half. The defense couldn't keep Seattle off the field.
It's tough to feed the star running back the ball when you don't have the ball.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

This is a TOP and getting behind issue. AD is a monster, but unless he's breaking his runs for TDs the Vikings are not sustaining drives. On the flip side, the defense isn't getting off the field, either, and is surrendering long drives and giving up points. So the vice closes. Vikes either get monster AD runs or punt, while the other team gets the lead and then holds it, forcing the Vikings to lean more heavily on passing late to try to catch up.

The only way AD gets more touches and the offense overall runs more is if they can sustain drives and get a lead. If they can't pass more effectively, that's not going to happen.

We all do get to enjoy Beast Mode early in games, though. AD is so fun to watch. Doesn't make me forget about Ponder or the defensive issues, but he's amazing.