My take on Ponder

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Sutsgold
Starter

My take on Ponder

Post by Sutsgold »

About three weeks ago the thought that Ponder is "soft" began to run through my head. If you recall, he was out most of his senior year with an injury. As a rookie, he was injured and out. Those might be legit, but what got me to thinking he is "soft" is the fact that since we have gotten him he has been on the injury list every week. A knee one week, a rib or elbow, etc... every week, for two years. Than I began watching him in the pocket. He looks scared. My take is that he might be banged up, but who in the nfl after 9 weeks doesnt have an ache, but he does not cope well with aches and pains. As we saw early on, he has talent. Note his first game last year (healthy) vs G.B. Threw for close to 300. First couple this year, outstanding. Couple of bangs, hits, etc.. and his mind is elsewhere. Just something to digest. If Im correct, and this teams qb is soft, he will lose the confidence of his team, they will not play hard (block) for him, and it will be a disaster. Maybe, based on our blocking this has already happened. Lets hope not, and I hope I am wrong, as I really am pulling for him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: My take on Ponder

Post by Mothman »

In their most recent video, the Star Tribune's "Access Vikings" guys speculated about injuries possibly impacting Ponder's game. The video is on the front of the Strib's Vikings page:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/
sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

He's gotta play through the pain, all QB's do. Of course he is at this point but not even at D-2 level. If he would have taken that hit that Matt Ryan took last night I have a feeling the time for Webb crowd would have gotten thier wish. He needs to buck up, the coaches need to adjust the game plan for him. It is unacceptable for this team to play like they are. If the protection isn't their then they need to help the tackles. If they can't pick up the blitz they need to do quick hitches. They need to try and run the 2 minute offense more often.

In the end I have a feeling Ponder is not the answer, but no Viking QB on the current roster is.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

As another forum brother wrote in another post, but of course, same old topic, "I'm done making excuses for Ponder." Too bad nobody in the Vikings forum knows someone, who knows someone, who is friends with, but also brother-in-law to, and carpools with this other cat, who's son plays peewee with his buddy's son, and has a wife that shops with, and also who does yoga and who works for Wilson Footballs on weekends, but also shoots pool with another guy's trust-fund stepson, who plays golf with, and who is in the distant Viking's coaching circle, who could really give some insight to what this HC, OC and Qb'sC really think of Ponder, and not just his future, but his "right now"! However, on the other hand, maybe there is a forum brother just like this! If so, what are these 3 cats thinking, because I have had it, and I'm done making excuses for Ponder?! Wahi'

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

at some point, someone needs to just realize that ponder is not an nfl qb. when we drafted him, the entire table of analysts laughed at the pick. everyone said, at best, he was a late 2nd to 3 rounder and that is exactly how he has played all along. you can't beat anyone throwing for 50 and 60 yards in a game, those are worse than high school stats. i'm actually hoping he totally continues to implode so we can go in a different direction at qb next year.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

i have a lot of patience for young qb's in the nfl. however, here are some things really bothering me about ponder...

1. he seems to be getting worse rather than better. 2 games in 3 weeks with less than 65 yards passing is asinine.
2. he plays scared out there. like he's so afraid of making mistakes that he forgets to just play football
3. he fails to see receivers down field. this ties into number 2 but the simple fact is that in the nfl, receivers are rarely going to be WIDE open. at some point you need to trust your skills and throw the ball into coverage.

finally, it is hard watching other young guys doing so much better. wilson is a perfect example. sure, he's not shocking the nfl or putting up huge numbers like luck but he's playing reasonable for a rookie. sure he still makes mistakes that i'm sure drives 'hawks fan crazy but overall he seems to be learning and adjusting. ponder is in his second season and while it looked like he was improving early on...this last month has been very tough to watch. he needs to improve drastically or i'll have no choice but to begin to agree with those saying that he is not the guy, and we took him too early. i didn't think that was the case but he is simply not improving and that is hard to see.

:(
i'm ready for a beer.