Bad game management again?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Sutsgold
Starter

Bad game management again?

Post by Sutsgold »

Guys,
I am out of the market so I could not see the game, but listening to it I was again miffed as to our game management (Frasier).

4th and 1, less than 3 to go in the game. Down by one score. Need a stop. Seattle goes for it. P.A. calls it short, than says they get a favorable mark. First down. We than burn a timeout. We have all our challenges. At that moment I was hollering at the radio. Why not challenge. If you lose the challenge its a timeout anyways. Once the clock goes under two minutes you can not challenge either, the league takes that over. Seemed like a no lose situation. Instead we pocketed all our challenges. This immediately made me think, like I did last year, that Frasier is out of his league. If I can see that this would have been a savvy call, imagine what the players must be thinking.

I look forward to hearing from those that saw the play. Maybe you have a different insight than what I picked up from listening to P.A.

Skol
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Bad game management again?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Sutsgold wrote:Guys,
I am out of the market so I could not see the game, but listening to it I was again miffed as to our game management (Frasier).

4th and 1, less than 3 to go in the game. Down by one score. Need a stop. Seattle goes for it. P.A. calls it short, than says they get a favorable mark. First down. We than burn a timeout. We have all our challenges. At that moment I was hollering at the radio. Why not challenge. If you lose the challenge its a timeout anyways. Once the clock goes under two minutes you can not challenge either, the league takes that over. Seemed like a no lose situation. Instead we pocketed all our challenges. This immediately made me think, like I did last year, that Frasier is out of his league. If I can see that this would have been a savvy call, imagine what the players must be thinking.

I look forward to hearing from those that saw the play. Maybe you have a different insight than what I picked up from listening to P.A.

Skol
I think he had the 1st on second effort, but I agree, a challenge wouldn't have been the end of the world there. Maybe his knee hit or something, you never know.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Even the purple homer that I am could see it was a clear first down .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Sutsgold wrote:Guys,

Skol
You don't need to challenge. You can request a measurement.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I was telling the same thing to the wiff yesterday... why not challenge if your going to take a timeout anyways, you have nothing to lose and the ball to gain.

Mothman, a measurement wouldnt have changed the spot of the ball, but a challenge possibly could have changed the spot. (not to mention that the refs already did a measurement)

Lash Man, i dont know about you, but the game i was watching i couldnt even see the QB or the Ball, he ran to the right but i was looking at the left side of the line on my TV. Not sure how you were able to see that the spot of the ball was accurate. unless you were at the game. I was suprised there wasnt a replay from the other side though.
Formerly AADPFan
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

AADPFan wrote:I was telling the same thing to the wiff yesterday... why not challenge if your going to take a timeout anyways, you have nothing to lose and the ball to gain.

Mothman, a measurement wouldnt have changed the spot of the ball, but a challenge possibly could have changed the spot. (not to mention that the refs already did a measurement)

:oops: You're right, of course.

Sorry, I'm out of it this morning.
sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

Time out and clock management wasn't the biggest problem yesterday. Having AD who was having another career game on the sidelines was. Ponder not seeing the field was. The defense having to play for damn near 3 qtrs was. This team will be lucky to finish 6-10 at this point. For the record If Frazier doesn't finish 8-8 I think we'll be looking at a new HC.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

How about that series at the end of the first half, when you'd think that the Vikings would be trying to get into position for a long Blair Walsh field goal to tie it going into the locker room? The playcalling was abysmal (execution just as bad). How sad is it that they couldn't move the ball 20 yards in 38 seconds to get into FG range?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Eli wrote:How about that series at the end of the first half, when you'd think that the Vikings would be trying to get into position for a long Blair Walsh field goal to tie it going into the locker room? The playcalling was abysmal (execution just as bad). How sad is it that they couldn't move the ball 20 yards in 38 seconds to get into FG range?
Agree totally. Heck, I'd say they WERE in FG range before Ponder took the sack. They were on the Seattle 45. The way Walsh was kicking, he could have made 62. His 55-yarder went through 3/4 of the way up the uprights. It was a bomb.

Just horrible playcalling. Absolutely horrible.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Agree totally. Heck, I'd say they WERE in FG range before Ponder took the sack. They were on the Seattle 45. The way Walsh was kicking, he could have made 62. His 55-yarder went through 3/4 of the way up the uprights. It was a bomb.

Just horrible playcalling. Absolutely horrible.
Yep. Alot of problems going on, but Ponder and this are tied for the #1 problem this team is facing. Another thing that baffeled me was when Simpson finaly made a catch, Musgrave called him to the sidelines. I mean they actually moved the sticks, ponder completed a pass play, and Musgrave calls Simpson to the sideline? Thats on par with him taking out AD and PH in the red zone.