Kluwe on notice?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Kluwe on notice?

Post by Just Me »

This Link indicates Kluwe's job may not be secure.
On Tuesday, the Vikings sent a clear signal to Kluwe that things had better improve in a hurry.
The Vikings brought in former San Diego State punter Brian Stahovich for a workout Tuesday, according to FOX Sports’ Aaron Wilson. Stahovich, who was with the Indianapolis Colts until being one of the team’s August cuts, averaged 43.4 yards a punt in 2011 for SDSU.
More at the link...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PurpleJarl
Starter

Re: Kluwe on notice?

Post by PurpleJarl »

Good.

I like Kluwe, think he is funny and I am not gonna say that his outspoken-ness is affecting his play or some such nonsense but bravo to the team. I am glad to see such a quick response to a problem. This off season and this season have shown me a whole new organization and I am extremely happy with the way that they have been conducting themselves. If Kluwe improves and keeps his job great. If not its good to see that the Vikings are ready to pull the trigger.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

They should be working out quarterbacks.

Edit: :)
Last edited by Eli on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Alright man, we get it, you don't think Ponder is good enough to be an NFL QB ... try to at least keep it to threads that are actually talking about Ponder ...
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Cliff wrote:Alright man, we get it, you don't think Ponder is good enough to be an NFL QB ... try to at least keep it to threads that are actually talking about Ponder ...
Add smiley. :)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Eli wrote: Add smiley. :)
It's not the way that you said it ... it's that you're bringing up Ponder in a thread about the team's punter :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Solid article by Seifert.

Chris Kluwe is a fortunate NFL employee
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... l-employee
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Kluwe went from beng a superstar, to seriously sucking. And he isnt gettting better.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

It's hard not to laugh.
@TomPelissero Great segment sir. I also had a good day at practice today! It must be because of all the extra thinking about punting I did.
Chris Kluwe on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Well clearly Kluwe has been the reason for all our losses, and it has nothing to do with our pathetic 3 and outs, on our opening prescripted drive, at home out of all places.

It is crap like this that makes a coach/gm appear in way over their heads.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

If I was Kluwe I'd just smile and take it for what it is. Even if Kluwe never played another down in the NFL it wouldn't matter because he has the ability to actually succeed outside of sports. Which is something few can say with a without lying to themselves.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I know Kluwe has a tendency to outkick his coverage but has he been that bad? I can recall him placing some fairly nice kicks that pinned the opposition close to the endzone. Nothing really sticks out in my mind that says we should be looking for another kicker although I did miss the Arizona game.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:I know Kluwe has a tendency to outkick his coverage but has he been that bad? I can recall him placing some fairly nice kicks that pinned the opposition close to the endzone. Nothing really sticks out in my mind that says we should be looking for another kicker although I did miss the Arizona game.
For a guy that's been a pretty solid punter he has had a substandard year. Uncharacteristically dead shanked a few balls this season that I think are the cause of the concern/criticism (coupled with his focus on off-the-field activism makes that an easy target). Statistically he's not worse than last year (though 2011 and 2012 have been worse than a top-10 year in 2010).
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

The fact the punter is on the field = failure by the offense. I don't care if he shanks it -5, most playoff teams see their punter half the time we do.

If we are going to bring anyone in to compete for a roster spot it should be receivers.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

joe h wrote:The fact the punter is on the field = failure by the offense. I don't care if he shanks it -5, most playoff teams see their punter half the time we do.

If we are going to bring anyone in to compete for a roster spot it should be receivers.
So unless an offense scores every time it has the ball, it has failed? (I realize that's really not what you said, and I'm using hyperbole to make my point). I just think that view is too simplistic. Take the best offense in the NFL now and you'll find they need a competent punter. "Sticking our head in the sand" with the rationale that we use our punter "too much" is not addressing the issue. Kluwe will probably be fine, but I'm glad that this coaching staff isn't ignoring problems because they have "other fish to fry." It's true that they do (have other fish to fry) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't address this one...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!