This Seahawk game could decide our season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: This Seahawk game could decide our season

Post by jackal »

Remember:

We beat SF when they were rated #1 in the NFL and no one gave us a chance to beat them(including me)

This team is capable of going to the playoffs if its plays its best every week. I am just glad personally we

had such a good draft and picked up some great skill players throughout the draft.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Seahawks have a weak passing game but a strong running game. I'd say they have a good run d but they also haven't faced a lot of great running backs IMO. I think if we get Adrian over 25 carries (only happened once this season) we can be very productive in that department. According to a Seahawks forum, they got beat by a lot of underneath stuff by Detroit last week? Not sure if that's true but if so that bodes well for us. Also, they mentioned that their DB's struggle against quick WR's so that's also a plus for us with Harvin.

First prediction of the season I say Vikings win 24-20. SKOL! :rock:
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

GBFavreFan wrote: As for this team having the talent or experience to be competitive in the playoffs, you're using this universal scale based on Super Bowl teams of the past 50 years or something. The only measurement one can use is how the other teams are playing in the NFL in 2012. And right now the vast majority of the NFL is playing at a similar level to us and we have a better record than most.

Getting in the playoffs has nothing to do with improvement, development, or experience, and has everything to do with your record. It's important to realize that and therefore not proclaim yourself a loser before you even start. Last year's Super Bowl champion was 9-7. The year before the champ was 10-6. Also that year the defending SB champs lost to a 7-9 team in the playoffs. The 1999 Rams, the 2001 Patriots, 2010 Packers could all be labeled as "rebuilding" in one definition or another, yet they somehow managed to overcome the labels that fans like you place on them. So what if the Vikings are rebuilding, does that mean they're not allowed to win games? You sound like you've already written off this team as an extended preseason even though we have the 3rd best record in the entire NFL and are on pace for the playoffs.

You have to embrace the fact that if the playoffs were today we'd be the #5 seed. Don't start tapping the brakes because you're afraid you're doing to be too emotionally devastated if you put hope in a win and then fail. We are mathematically in it, and that's all you need. Since you've already given up, if we get into the playoffs are you willing to cede our playoff spot because we don't have the "talent and experience" while some other 9-7 team gets into the playoffs and wins the Super Bowl, laughing at you and your self-esteem problems?

I think too many fans put the playoffs on a pedastal where only the best of the best play, when reality is there are always a bunch of teams that "don't deserve" to be there, yet some win, some get to the SB, and some even win the whole shebbang! It's a game of numbers, not a job interview. The only thing you have to do to prove "worthy" is to win the right number of games. We could very well be one of those teams, but guess what, we've also shown we can beat anybody in this league too. And the playoffs is a one game at a time situation, and teams that looked like complete garbage in December have still managed to turn things around quickly for the playoffs. So even if we got there I wouldn't write us off. But I will concede that if we got to the playoffs and got smashed right away I would still feel great about our season. But for us to accomplish a playoff spot without Favre, without a roster filled with big name free agents, would be incredible, and I don't think anyone should start bailing out until math tells us to.
Wow, put words in my mouth much??
Not once did I day I was giving up, Written off the team or proclaim myself, or the team, a loser.

The title of your thread is "The seahawk game could decide out season" Win or lose, this game will not decide our season, even if we do make the playoffs. You make it sound like if we lose this game, our season could be over. I don't believe that to be the case.
As far as the playoffs, you are right, the "last 50 years or something" is a good benchmark to make that assessment. What is clear in the playoffs is that at some point, good running game or not, you will need an effective passing game. Right now we do not have one.

Do I want this team to succeed? yup DO I want the team to win?... yup...Would I be thrilled to get a wildcard slot? You bet!! DO I want to see this particular team in the superbowl this year? Absolutely not. Strange?... yup... I don't have the stomach to watch this team lose another superbowl. Would I want them go next year? maybe with the right additions of talent.
Point being, I want to get there (superbowl) with overwhelming talent and confidence and I want them to win this time. Not sure if you had to watch them lose the last 4, but, it was brutal.
I was at the NFCC game in 10. I was at the superdome when Favre threw the interception, I was hoping that was the team to break the curse. Heartbreak again.

This seahawk game is only one game this season and not even a team in our conference. Doesn't mean that much.

EDIT: You might want to look in the predictions thread, I actually predict that they will win today.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dkoby wrote:Do I want this team to succeed? yup DO I want the team to win?... yup...Would I be thrilled to get a wildcard slot? You bet!! DO I want to see this particular team in the superbowl this year? Absolutely not. Strange?... yup... I don't have the stomach to watch this team lose another superbowl. Would I want them go next year? maybe with the right additions of talent.
Point being, I want to get there (superbowl) with overwhelming talent and confidence and I want them to win this time. Not sure if you had to watch them lose the last 4, but, it was brutal.
Amen, brother. I can't go through that again. Heck, I couldn't even watch Morten Anderson kick the winning field goal in the '98 championship game. I was sure that was finally the year and when it all went wrong in the end I had to turn away and leave the room.
This seahawk game is only one game this season and not even a team in our conference.
Did you mean conference or division? The Seahawks are in the NFC West now. :)
EDIT: You might want to look in the predictions thread, I actually predict that they will win today.
I hope so. Nobody should lose to a team with such hideous uniforms (except the Bengals, who have even more hideous uniforms)!
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Mothman wrote: Amen, brother. I can't go through that again. Heck, I couldn't even watch Morten Anderson kick the winning field goal in the '98 championship game. I was sure that was finally the year and when it all went wrong in the end I had to turn away and leave the room.
Did you mean conference or division? The Seahawks are in the NFC West now. :)
I hope so. Nobody should lose to a team with such hideous uniforms (except the Bengals, who have even more hideous uniforms)!

OOps sorry Yup division :oops:
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dkoby wrote:OOps sorry Yup division :oops:
No big deal... I figured that's what you meant. I whole heartedly agree that thsi game isn't going to decide the Vikes season one way or another. It's just one game. It would be handy to win it though... :)
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Mothman wrote: No big deal... I figured that's what you meant. I whole heartedly agree that thsi game isn't going to decide the Vikes season one way or another. It's just one game. It would be handy to win it though... :)
Steady improvement in all areas of our young stars and more successful drafts, That will decide our fate.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Even with how squishy our D has gotten, we need at least an average QB to make the playoffs, and Ponder hasnt even been playing average. in fact, hes been so bad it wont be too long before peple will want us to loose games for a better pick. Im not one of them, 5-3 is good at this time in the season. But we have no QB. Rookie QBs are playing much better. But then rookie QBs are playing much better then Cam is too.
Actually, if you look at his stats, he ranks about average in passer rating, and is pretty "middle of the pack" in general (except YPA). Yes, his last couple games have been bad, but overall, his stats indicate average. Of the rookie/2nd yr QBs, only RG3 has a significantly better rating, Dalton has a slightly better rating, Russel Wilson has a slightly lower rating and the rest are noticeably lower.

This is not an endoresement of Ponder, just want to make sure that the picture is accurate.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.