Run defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Run defense

Post by Mothman »

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... 102912?t=2
"We were not gap-sound in our last ballgame," Frazier said. "We missed some tackles as well and things that -- you're not going to be playing good run defense if guys aren't where they're supposed to be, especially if you're trying to get into eight-man fronts. We had some situations even in eight-man fronts, we weren't where we needed to be.

"One of the things we did (Monday) was we did a review on some of our run fits, whether it was seven-man fronts or eight-man fronts -- just to make sure we all understand where we have to be and how we have to fit up runs. But we have to improve in that area."
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Run defense

Post by FailedtoOpen »

The only thing I've noticed with the run defense is that slow developing runs, or runs in which the RB is patient are what end up killing the Vikings.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

FailedtoOpen wrote:The only thing I've noticed with the run defense is that slow developing runs, or runs in which the RB is patient are what end up killing the Vikings.
Interesting observation. If that's true then it means the Vikings D players are right where the opposing offense thinks they'll be and they're easily blocked.

I'm glad the Vikings are reviewing and practicing basic fundamentals. Simply put, the Vikings D hasn't been doing its basic job the last two games.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

losperros wrote:and they're easily blocked.
Yep, I think that's a big thing. Brinkley and Henderson are guys who look good when they plug a hole unblocked, but they don't fend off blocks well and they don't play well in traffic. If a team gets blockers to that second level and the running back has patience, they've got a nice gain. Apart from Robinson, the Vikings don't have elite speed on defense, so it often just takes a momentary chip any of the secondary to take them completely out of the play.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

San Fran stuffed that little guy last night from AZ who ran all over us....esp. when he ran right at JA.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

One of our problems is tackling. Did you see how that little guy from AZ was blocking tackles left and right? If we can improve our tackling we might allow a few less points per game. And if we can do that, we can make the playoffs