Harvin: Fundamentals Killing Us

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Harvin: Fundamentals Killing Us

Post by PsyDanny »

Mothman wrote: Thanks for the link! Good article...

I remember the last play Mark Craig describes well, although in my effort to go through the offensive plays last week, I see that I and forgot to transcribe that 3rd quarter possession. I watched it a bunch of times but forgot to write it down. :( It was another ugly 3 and out so it was pretty typical of the game but I still feel bad. I apologize for the mistake. I tried to be thorough but was squeezing all that play-by-play analysis into lunch breaks and such, while I dealt with a heavy workload. Still dealing with it...

Anyway, here's Mark Craig's description of the play:
Hmm... let's freeze that tape, shall we? In the first shot, we see Ponder at the top of his dropback. Rudolph is visible at the lower right but Ponder's eyes are downfield and his first read is clearly to the right. Foster (#59) is already on his way, unblocked.

Here's the play a brief moment later, in two still shots. The second is the TV view and this is almost the exact same moment from two different vantage points. It's as close as I could get. Ponder seems to see Rudolph but he hasn't set his feet due to the unblocked rusher. To me, it looks like he'd have to throw almost directly into the rush to properly lead Rudolph. Keep in mind these are still shots but the players in motion and all of this takes place in about two seconds (if that).

Here's it's too late. Rudolph's open but Ponder is about to go down.

Could Ponder have pulled the trigger on this play? I honestly don't know. It looks possible but all of this happened fast. He would have had to make the choice to throw at basically the same moment he locked eyes on Rudolph because that moment was all he had left. As M. Craig wrote, that moment might define what being a young QB in the NFL is all about. Maybe Peyton Manning or Tom Brady makes that throw but I'm inclined to think it would take that kind of experience and confidence to make the choice as quickly as it was required. It's a shame because it could have been a huge play.

Mothman, you are doing Dr. Zaius proud kind of work here, my friend.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PsyDanny wrote:Mothman, you are doing Dr. Zaius proud kind of work here, my friend.
Thank you, sir! :)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Now I see where people get the half-field (or is it quarter now?) thing.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:Could Ponder have pulled the trigger on this play? I honestly don't know. It looks possible but all of this happened fast. He would have had to make the choice to throw at basically the same moment he locked eyes on Rudolph because that moment was all he had left. As M. Craig wrote, that moment might define what being a young QB in the NFL is all about. Maybe Peyton Manning or Tom Brady makes that throw but I'm inclined to think it would take that kind of experience and confidence to make the choice as quickly as it was required. It's a shame because it could have been a huge play.
I think the only way he makes that throw is if he reads the blitz pre-snap and knows the middle will be open. Once the play was underway and Rudolph was not his first read, he was going to get sacked.