drafting ponder set this team back three years

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: drafting ponder set this team back three years

Post by LA Viking »

Look, we are in the re-building process here. We are doing better than most expected (though I had us at 5-3 in the first half, just losing different games). We needed Kalil. We needed Harrison Smith. We still need plenty of pieces for the future (WR, CB, LB, OL...). The Skins gave up a bounty for RG3, and so far it's looking like it wasn't too bad of a move, but we'll see when they aren't able to draft until the later rounds in the coming yrs. Bottom line, we wouldn't have RG3 either way.

Ponder is still young and he is better than last yr. The last few games he's looked to have regressed a bit, but he has been under tremendous pressure (O-Line needs to improve). Ponder is atleast a real QB (I'm looking at you Tarvaris Jackson), whether or not he develops into a good QB remains to be seen. He does have the physical tools. I really think he just needs to do a better job of seeing the field and not locking on to his primary receiver, and we will have a good QB. Improved O-Line play will help this out a lot. But you never know; he might continue to regress and might mentally begin to breakdown and if that happens, then we will be at the bottom of the heap and starting this process over again in a couple years. But we have to give him atleast this year and next (and that's without any improvement year over year; he has already improved on last year).
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

LA Viking wrote:Look, we are in the re-building process here. We are doing better than most expected (though I had us at 5-3 in the first half, just losing different games). We needed Kalil. We needed Harrison Smith. We still need plenty of pieces for the future (WR, CB, LB, OL...). The Skins gave up a bounty for RG3, and so far it's looking like it wasn't too bad of a move, but we'll see when they aren't able to draft until the later rounds in the coming yrs. Bottom line, we wouldn't have RG3 either way.
... and right now, RGIII is having success in a role that is limited and tailored to his skills, with the support of a rookie running back having a terrific season. He's an amazing talent but watch: as defenses get more film on him, he's going to face more adversity. I won't be even slightly surprised if he struggles a bit more in the second half of the season or experiences a sophomore slump next year. His athletic ability is off the charts and his future is probably bright but his early success doesn't mean he'll be more than an average QB over the long haul. I think he'll be better than that but the point is that there's no way to know.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

Mothman wrote: ... and right now, RGIII is having success in a role that is limited and tailored to his skills, with the support of a rookie running back having a terrific season. He's an amazing talent but watch: as defenses get more film on him, he's going to face more adversity. I won't be even slightly surprised if he struggles a bit more in the second half of the season or experiences a sophomore slump next year. His athletic ability is off the charts and his future is probably bright but his early success doesn't mean he'll be more than an average QB over the long haul. I think he'll be better than that but the point is that there's no way to know.
See: Cam Newton.

Not saying RG3=Newton, but Newton was getting the same praise/accolades as RG3, and look at him now. I think RG3 is a better passer and a better person than Newton, but like you said, only time will tell.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

you guys can call it rebuilding all you want, if we had a real qb we would likely be 7-1 right now. the only time ponder has shown any potential has been in the SECOND half of every game, and that is a fact. the only time he can throw is against the prevent defenses, in all actuality, this guy is horrible. the longer we stick with him, the longer this franchise will suffer. i really don't even know how to describe how he attempts to throw the ball down field. he takes one step back, doesn't even look, and lobs the ball up putting all the pressure on the receiver. that is a qb that has no confidence, and is depending only upon timing routes only. it is a shame really, but a viking reality at this point. these fluke wins are only disguising the fact that this kid cannot be a franchise qb. in all honesty, i'd rather be 0-8 right now if i knew we were headed in a different direction. ponder is downright awful, and single handedly lost the washington game on his own, not to mention others too.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

mosscarter wrote:you guys can call it rebuilding all you want, if we had a real qb we would likely be 7-1 right now. the only time ponder has shown any potential has been in the SECOND half of every game, and that is a fact.
You might want to review this box score as it directly refutes your statement.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mosscarter wrote:you guys can call it rebuilding all you want, if we had a real qb we would likely be 7-1 right now. the only time ponder has shown any potential has been in the SECOND half of every game, and that is a fact. the only time he can throw is against the prevent defenses, in all actuality, this guy is horrible. the longer we stick with him, the longer this franchise will suffer. i really don't even know how to describe how he attempts to throw the ball down field. he takes one step back, doesn't even look, and lobs the ball up putting all the pressure on the receiver. that is a qb that has no confidence, and is depending only upon timing routes only. it is a shame really, but a viking reality at this point. these fluke wins are only disguising the fact that this kid cannot be a franchise qb. in all honesty, i'd rather be 0-8 right now if i knew we were headed in a different direction. ponder is downright awful, and single handedly lost the washington game on his own, not to mention others too.
Green Bay is 5-3. New England is 5-3. Denver is 4-3. To bad those teams don't have real QB's or they might be 7-1.

Not sure why Ponder couldn't tackle RG3 in that Washington game. Man that guy can run faster than Ponder.

So tell us, who in your opinion, should the Vikings have at QB? You keep slamming the kid, who should they have in his place. Inquiring minds want to know.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

Raptorman wrote: Green Bay is 5-3. New England is 5-3. Denver is 4-3. To bad those teams don't have real QB's or they might be 7-1.

Not sure why Ponder couldn't tackle RG3 in that Washington game. Man that guy can run faster than Ponder.

So tell us, who in your opinion, should the Vikings have at QB? You keep slamming the kid, who should they have in his place. Inquiring minds want to know.
Exactly. There has been no other options for us for a QB. No vets or people we could of drafted. Unless you consider we could of drafted Dalton, even then hindsight in 20/20 and he would of been a bigger reach. Plus I don't even think he's better then Ponder he's highlighted by AJ Green soon to be #1 WR in the NFL. I've also heard Mallet's named thrown around and I've just laughed.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

FWIW, Ponders first half stats for the first 8 games. Taken from the NFL.com gamebook summary and added up.

82/126 64.3% 798 yards 3 TD's, 3 INT,s 80.05 rating.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Raptorman wrote: Green Bay is 5-3. New England is 5-3. Denver is 4-3. To bad those teams don't have real QB's or they might be 7-1.

No one. There isn't and wasn't any option possible at any point other than Ponder. No veterans, no other rookies available in the draft. Nothing. Just Ponder. Good call. Going forward there aren't any options either I'm sure. This offseason/draft. Nothing. So when we don't do anything we can use this excuse again. I'll just throw it out there now.

Maybe someone could have actually put more points up or held onto the ball so a single RG3 run doesn't completely turn the game on his head? And I bet Green Bay, New England, and Denver would love to have a better defense, and a top 1 running back. Instead they don't. They have QBs, questionable defenses, no name running backs. And they still have the same record as the Vikings. A good quarterback and this team is 12-4 fighting for a super bowl berth.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I think we should have drafted the guy the patriots drafted the same year. Can't remember his name. Other than him and Ponder who else would we have drafted? What choice do we have but to see what he develops into? at least for a year or so more
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Laserman wrote:I think we should have drafted the guy the patriots drafted the same year. Can't remember his name. Other than him and Ponder who else would we have drafted? What choice do we have but to see what he develops into? at least for a year or so more
Mallet. He's who I wanted. We could have easily gotten him in the second round, late. He looked better. But Ponder was smarter, which is so funny cause all he does is make stupid mistakes, and doesnt learn the footwork. He also looks like a QB. Oh and he has an arm.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Again, I will post the question. If you don't like Ponder, who should the Vikings have drafted or gone after? Come up with another option. Because I really want to know who would be doing a better job.

You know what Packer fans are talking about? What's wrong with the offense. Why didn't they bury the Jags, and the Colts. What do they have to do to get a good running game. Which RB is going to step up and get more than 2.2 yards per carry. Why can't the O-line run block. Why can't Finley catch, when are they going to dump him.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yes, everything other than there QB. Yet they're 5-3 and will most likely get a wild card spot. Where as for weeks we've been talking about how big of a beast AD is, how solid the oline has been overall, how amazing percy is. And we're 5-3 and likely won't make the playoffs. Difference? QB.

What did I want? I wanted them not to try to force the QB position again. Whether that means using Webb until we're in a position. Bringing in a veteran (any veteran). Or heck have Webb and Sage compete. Instead every indication was we wanted Locker, he's gone, so we respond by taking the next guy on our board regardless. Another "west coast" QB. I'd rather have Mallett as well, and wouldn't have wasted a top 15 pick on him.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Raptorman wrote:Again, I will post the question. If you don't like Ponder, who should the Vikings have drafted or gone after? Come up with another option. Because I really want to know who would be doing a better job.

You know what Packer fans are talking about? What's wrong with the offense. Why didn't they bury the Jags, and the Colts. What do they have to do to get a good running game. Which RB is going to step up and get more than 2.2 yards per carry. Why can't the O-line run block. Why can't Finley catch, when are they going to dump him.
I Just said, Mallet. He is 6'4, 245 and has an arm, He doesnt run alot, hes a pure passer.

But then im not the GM (Ponder was Spielmans pick, not Fraizers). I wish i was though. Im a floor manager in a large bindary and have to order everything from paper to staples well in advance. You have to figure things out 6 months in advance. I swear sometimes I could figure out the Vikings needs faster then Spielman and NEVER would have picked up Carlson. EVER. Esp. with the draft and the TEs we already had. And how little they even throw to Kyle over then middle this year.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Demi wrote:
What did I want? I wanted them not to try to force the QB position again. Whether that means using Webb until we're in a position. Bringing in a veteran (any veteran).
They did. "Any veteran" was Donavan McNabb. How did that work out for us again?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!