drafting ponder set this team back three years

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: drafting ponder set this team back three years

Post by CalVike »

My sense is Ponder is Spielman's guy, like Jackson was Chili's guy. This change could be a long time coming.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: I don't think Spielman is that stubborn.
Based on what? Ive been saying the same thing. Hes hitched his wagon to Ponder the same as Childress did to Tjoke.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:In last years draft. I'm pretty sure the Vikings wanted Locker he went 7th which left them with 2 options. Reach for Ponder or Dalton or pick Fairley/Pouncey/Amukamara and hope one of them fell to 43th. If they did they don't have Rudolph if they didn't we'd either still have scrubby veteran or some project like Webb or some late round pick from that draft at QB.

IMO, assuming you couldn't trade down, reaching for the QB was the right call there cause we were desperate. I thought and predicted it would be Dalton but they went with Ponder he looks like he won't work out (although it's not set in stone yet but it's getting there.) The Vikes were in a bad position given the mismanagement of the position by Clueless.

Still don't get the infatuation with Mallett and didn't at the time of the draft. He's a statue, dumb as bricks and went in the 3rd round for a reason. Jamarcus Russell had a big arm too. Grass is always greener I guess.
Did you watch any of the ESPNs reviews of the QBs? Mallet won almost all of them or was close. Good arm, mobile in the pocket, didnt run alot, and actually had some accuaracy. Hes the anti Ponder. I think he scored last of the big 5 on the IQ test with Ponder first. Big effing deal.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Mallet would get crushed behind our line and with our NON blocking schemes
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dkoby wrote:Mallet would get crushed behind our line and with our NON blocking schemes
You know Mallet is 6'4 245 pounds right? And has a cannon for an arm? And not every QB will hold onto the ball so long.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

LA Viking wrote:Look, we are in the re-building process here. We are doing better than most expected (though I had us at 5-3 in the first half, just losing different games). We needed Kalil. We needed Harrison Smith. We still need plenty of pieces for the future (WR, CB, LB, OL...). The Skins gave up a bounty for RG3, and so far it's looking like it wasn't too bad of a move, but we'll see when they aren't able to draft until the later rounds in the coming yrs. Bottom line, we wouldn't have RG3 either way.

Ponder is still young and he is better than last yr. The last few games he's looked to have regressed a bit, but he has been under tremendous pressure (O-Line needs to improve). Ponder is atleast a real QB (I'm looking at you Tarvaris Jackson), whether or not he develops into a good QB remains to be seen. He does have the physical tools. I really think he just needs to do a better job of seeing the field and not locking on to his primary receiver, and we will have a good QB. Improved O-Line play will help this out a lot. But you never know; he might continue to regress and might mentally begin to breakdown and if that happens, then we will be at the bottom of the heap and starting this process over again in a couple years. But we have to give him atleast this year and next (and that's without any improvement year over year; he has already improved on last year).
OK, he is getting even worse (didn't think it was possible). Still having protection problems and WRs aren't getting open, but he is not looking like an NFL QB. I would like to see us throw in some Webb packages, but unfortunately, the coaches would probably think it would ruin Ponder's mental state (probably true).
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Ponder passer ratings of last 6 games: 71, 88,83,36,75,37. An average of 65. Those opponents include first, third and sixth worst passing defenses in the league (in terms of passing yards against - per game). I'd love to know if there has ever been a QB throw for fewer than 64 yards twice in the same season.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

mosscarter wrote:Ponder passer ratings of last 6 games: 71, 88,83,36,75,37. An average of 65. Those opponents include first, third and sixth worst passing defenses in the league (in terms of passing yards against - per game). I'd love to know if there has ever been a QB throw for fewer than 64 yards twice in the same season.
I checked Spergeon Wynn's stats (because I figured he's got the best shot at your criteria). He started 2 games in 2001:

1) He went 11 of 30 for 124 yards 1 TD and 3 INTs; and
2) He went 13 of 29 for 84 yards , 0 TDs and 2 INTs

To be fair - Wynn had Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Jake Reed to throw to, but it's Wynn for crying out loud. (Wow)

Edit: Added Carter to the list
Last edited by Just Me on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Imagine how bad his stats would be if he had the spine to actually try and throw downfield. :flamed:
maljanftballfan
Waterboy

Post by maljanftballfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Did you watch any of the ESPNs reviews of the QBs? Mallet won almost all of them or was close. Good arm, mobile in the pocket, didnt run alot, and actually had some accuaracy. Hes the anti Ponder. I think he scored last of the big 5 on the IQ test with Ponder first. Big effing deal.
To me, a strong arm and accurate throw is way more important than having the highest IQ.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

demi: i'll say this, i was all for giving him a chance but he simply does not have it. i hope they lose out, because that is the only way change will sweep in and maybe we can get a real qb. in this day and age in the nfl, without a qb you are just as good as dead. we lost 30-20, and our qb threw for 50 something yards? when i read that stat i had to take a double take, what a joke. like everyone said this kid was a total reach, and the longer we stick with him, the longer we have no shot, especially not in our division.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mosscarter wrote:demi: i'll say this, i was all for giving him a chance but he simply does not have it. i hope they lose out, because that is the only way change will sweep in and maybe we can get a real qb. in this day and age in the nfl, without a qb you are just as good as dead. we lost 30-20, and our qb threw for 50 something yards? when i read that stat i had to take a double take, what a joke. like everyone said this kid was a total reach, and the longer we stick with him, the longer we have no shot, especially not in our division.
:point: Want proof. :puke:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.