Webb Time!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Webb Time!!!

Post by purplehaze »

Who is on board? Flame suit on.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
Arjuna
Franchise Player

Re: Webb Time!!!

Post by Arjuna »

Only chance Webb has of seeing the field is if Christian is carted off. They invested a first rounder in this kid, they will give him all the time they can. They won't jerk him around like they did with Tjoke. They will probably give him to at least the end of next year before even thinking of moving on, unless they all get fired and a new coaching staff wants their own guy.
"Oh you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I just resent how Sage Rosenfels was never, ever given a chance and relegated to third stringer and ultimately cut. He could honestly play next week and be as good as Ponder has shown himself to be. Ponder gets 150 yards a game passing 20 yards through the air to Percy Harvin. Christ, anybody on this board could do 2 yarders to Harvin and watch him work his magic.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Apropos of nothing, but I've had a strange experience with Madden pertaining to our QB's. When I use Ponder the other team's offense is unstoppable, the defense, solid and difficult to overcome, like climbing uphill in mud. When I use Webb it's like sliding downhill. Passes that were ponderceptions now glide past the DB's into the hungry arms of the WR's. Same settings, same schedule, wildly different results. Instead of quitting in frustration at the :censored: game it's now a blowout. Again, I know it means nothing. In fact I think that Webb's stats are worse than Ponders in the game and it may be nothing more than how I approach the game when playing.

But maybe Madden knows something. After all, there's a chance Webb would get more than 58 yards in a game.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

I could see all the Pomder moving on stuff if the guy actually had receivers to throw to. But let's be honest besides Harvin who is there? The rest of the WRs we have are basically throw aways from other teams. Take away the top 5-8 QBS in the league and I don't see many qbs doing much with this receiving core. I doubt Webb does any better. Sure with his feet he would but than when Webb fails than what? Go back to Ponder? Move on to someone else? I say stick with Ponder get him as many reps as possible, get him some quality wrs next season and let's roll.

I just hate to move on from Ponder. Just look at how his whole class is basically struggling this year. I still think the kid is the future.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

I don't think we should completely replace Ponder with Webb, but I think we should start using him more. Sort of like the jets use Tebow
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Infinity wrote:I don't think we should completely replace Ponder with Webb, but I think we should start using him more. Sort of like the jets use Tebow
And how, exactly, do the Jets use Tebow?

Line up Tebow in the shotgun. Three tight ends. No backs. Snap the ball to Tebow, who wraps both arms around the ball, hunches over, and runs straight into a pile of bodies in middle of the line. Second down and nine.

Ooh, aah.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

NOOOOO JOHN BALTHAZR MCLEOD BETHEL THOMPSON BABY!!!!!!!!!! :v): :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Eliot
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Eliot »

Purplemania wrote:I think people easily forget how horrible Webb as at helm a few years back -_- not saying he hasn't improved or he'll be worst than Ponder, but he ain't no freakin' future of the team QB either.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301228021
yea he was pretty bad :roll:
Minnesota Vikings fan from Missouri!

Skol!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

The favorite player on any team when the starting QB has a few bad games is the backup QB. And if Webb comes out and stinks it up? You do what then? Through Ponder back out there and say "Sorry, we are going to give you another chance". Now if they are down 4 scores at halftime(think Packers at Lambeau) then maybe throw in Webb.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

I posted in the Musgrave thread about that game. To be honest, we really have not had a chance to see what Webb can do. Philly was a 14 point favorite in that game and Webb led us to a win. Philly needed to win that game too for home field playoff implications.

How about week 14 against the Lions last year when Check down charlie was benched for stinking it up with 3 INT's and a fumble. Webb came in trailing 31-14 and threw a TD pass including setting a franchise record for 109 yards rushing. Damn near came back and won. He fumbled on 1 yard line after a facemask was not called.

Or how about week 16 at the Washington Redskins, Webb came in after Check down charlie left the game with a concussion. Webb was 4 of 5 for 84 yards and two touchdowns for a 158.3 passer rating, he also rushed for another touchdown. He led the team to a 33-26 victory at Washington.

Don't sound too shabby to me. The guy sounds like a winner.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

Oh, and he can step up in the pocket and throw with some zip downfield, plus run. 6 foot 4 don't hurt either.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

No he wasn't given a chance. The same way Gus Frerotte and Peterson willed a lousy team to an 8-2 record and dragged a marginal team kicking and screaming in the playoffs...
To be placed by Tarvaris Jackson who had a sub 200, no touchdown, multiple turnover game.

The Vikings have never BUILT any quarterback. I've got high chances that Ponder is "built" to nothing more than what Sage Rosenfels was two years ago and still is.

This team passed on Brees to "build" jack squat at the quarterback position. We need to stop thinking we can "build" quarterbacks.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Whether it's Ponder, Sage, Webb, MBT, McNabb or Mothman at QB the Vikings were/aren't a Super Bowl contender this year and playoffs were/are a longshot despite the fast start cause of the weak schedule.
:lol: You don't think I could lead them to the promised land?

Jim
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Hunter Morrow wrote:
The Vikings have never BUILT any quarterback. I've got high chances that Ponder is "built" to nothing more than what Sage Rosenfels was two years ago and still is.
ARGH!!! Ok, I understand you are young, but... yes they have. Fran Tarkenton, Tommy Kramer, heck... Joe Kapp! And need I remind fans that Daunte Culpepper would have had an MVP season, were it not for a historic season put up by Peyton Manning.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa