Webb Time!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Re: Webb Time!!!

Post by John_Viveiros »

This is a Joe Webb thread. So excuse me for obsessing...

The other thing about Webb, is how predictable he makes the defense. Every team that plays him starts off acting like he's your typical rookie QB. Cover tight with man defense, and throw in a lot of blitzes to make him uncomfortable. A hundred yards of Webb running later, they realize that's exactly the wrong strategy, and they play zone defense (so they can spy on Webb) and put on a minimal pressure with their front four, to control the QB running lanes. So Webb actually does get the time to sit back and survey the field, the time we wish Ponder was getting.

It's why I'd like to see him get 20 games under his belt (like Ponder), to see how well he can learn to dissect a zone defense with minimal pressure.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

John_Viveiros wrote:I guess the only thing that I don't understand is how we can devote a season and a half of evaluation to Ponder, a QB who just doesn't pass the eyeball test to me. Meanwhile, at least half of you have written off Joe Webb, who has looked spectacular in his half dozen games - spectacularly inconsistent I will admit. Why doesn't Webb get the "let him get experience and get comfortable" chance that Ponder gets?
Because Ponder was the 12th overall pick while Webb was taken in the 6th round as a wide receiver. Before the Tom Brady examples start to fly, all I'm saying is the Vikings have a lot more invested in Ponder than in Webb. I still feel that Ponder should start against the Lions and if he has another poor game, the Vikings will be a .500 team. They will also be on a bye, which is a much better time to do a swap if they're planning on it. I don't think Webb is the answer but at the same time I think if a change is going to be made, he needs to be given the best opportunity to succeed.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Webb isnt the answer. He wont get us into the playoffs. But neither will Ponder, hes going downhill too fast. Im with S197. Let Ponder play agasint the Lions. If he performs poorly, then let Webb play. But just for a game or 2. To try and clear Ponders head. But Ponder should finish the year. Unless they wanna give MBT a shot at the very end of the season.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Valhalla wrote:
Noticing you write from Uruguay, believe it or not, I did come across a story once on American Football being played in Uruguay. Interesting and for those who were not aware of this:

http://archives.uruguay.usembassy.gov/u ... 52EN.shtml
Thanks for the link. I wonder if the team is still playing. I don't recognize the names of the players, and I have a slew of connections to the embassy.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I was all for Ponder at the start of the year and he was playing pretty well but now its extremely clear that something is wrong with him. How can you go from throwing for 300 Yds to 70? I feel like he is pressing and not relaxed out there, hes trying to hard. To make a perfect throw. Its like in baseball you dont aim the ball when you pitch. You naturally throw the ball hard and it goes where you want it to go it just happens easily and mentally.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Some people really need to check their sigs.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mercy Percy wrote:How can you go from throwing for 300 Yds to 70?
You subtract 230 yards....

<Ducks and runs>
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

soflavike wrote:Several have suggested that Ponder would make a decent backup QB in this league. On what are you basing this? He can't complete 3 yd. passes half the time and wets his pants when he is pressured. This wouldn't change if he comes off the bench or needs to fill in for an injured starter. I wouldn't want him as a backup.

If he looks like a bust and throws like a bust, then maybe he's a bust.
ponder is garbage. we have seen enough.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Almost a month later... the story remains the same.

Give Webb a chance to show what he's got. We know what Ponder can do.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Webb isn't the answer, and it's becoming clear that Ponder isn't either. What's the point of throwing Webb in there when he really doesn't add anything new? WRs don't do either of these QBs any favors either.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

thatguy wrote:Webb isn't the answer, and it's becoming clear that Ponder isn't either. What's the point of throwing Webb in there when he really doesn't add anything new? WRs don't do either of these QBs any favors either.
Do you really think Ponder gives the Vikings the best chance to win?
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Frazier on Ponder per Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=6180
"We definitely want to improve our passing game," Frazier said. "I sound like a broken record, but it's something we want to definitely improve and we'll keep working to improve it. You want to create a little bit more balance, for sure, especially as well as we're running the ball."
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

CalVike wrote:Frazier on Ponder per Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=6180
Frazier continued: "So, we're going to keep playing Ponder and keep working the problem until it improves. We hope the Bears and the Packers and the Texans will take it easy on us and help us develop our young quarterback."
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

CalVike wrote: Do you really think Ponder gives the Vikings the best chance to win?
I honestly don't know that Webb gives the Vikings a better chance. Then again, there is only one way to find out.

At this point I think sitting Ponder is the right thing to do. Let Webb have a shot at it now.
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

thatguy wrote:Webb isn't the answer, and it's becoming clear that Ponder isn't either. What's the point of throwing Webb in there when he really doesn't add anything new? WRs don't do either of these QBs any favors either.
What do you mean Webb doesnt add anything new? He can run trick plays, run the ball, and is even an ok thrower too. With him at quarterback, the defense doesnt now what the hell to do
Last edited by Infinity on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.