PFT - Vikings need help at WR

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

PFT - Vikings need help at WR

Post by NextQuestion »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-wideout/

Interesting that Steve Smith is the first name on that list. Isn't he Harvin's build though? I'd prefer giving up pick or 2 for Dwayne Bowe or at least TRYING out Plaxico. Simpson is a 2-3 at best
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Re: PFT - Vikings need help at WR

Post by NextQuestion »

Dude - Bowe for a 3rd would be freaking money
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

No way we would eat Fitzgerald's contract. I think just the presence of Bowe will open things out for Harvin and Rudolph
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Don't kid yourself, the Vikings organization is way too conservative, next week we will field the same group of misfits, minus the injured, with the exact same scheme, until we are completely out of the playoff picture. Then maybe we start pulling Ponder after halftime, and giving second stringers a few reps during garbage time.

No way Spielman brings in a veteran, it would run us nearly $700,000.

This is a guy that cut McKinnie, who ends up taking over the LT position for the Ravens, leaving us with a gaping hole that forced wasting a top five pick on a LT. I also think Sage could have helped the same way Gus did back in 08.

What we need is aging free agent with an arm, draft a real wr and then over pay Harvin. In the next several years we will be losing more players than can be filled with draft picks. And if captain stupid keeps cutting players unnecessarily, we will only get worse.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The stupidest thing the Vikings could do right now would be to trade for a WR.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I'm pretty sure most of us feel that picking up a wide receiver would be a bit of a waste, considering that we don't currently have anyone who can get him the ball effectively. Dewayne Bowe would be a great addition to the team. But he won't turn things around, because he wouldn't be much of a threat in our offense anyway.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yes lets get another stop gap QB!!! That's worked out so well in the past save one season Favre which he(along with Childress) blew for us in the NFCCG.
How many "developed" Quarterbacks have got us into an NFCCG in the last twenty years?

How many "stop gap QBs" have?

And funny how "there are different ways to have success" is trumpeted when we have Bummy McBumBum caretakering and game managering games. But stop gap QB? By golly that isn't the way you get it done! What came more recently? The Warner or the Dilfer?
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

joe h wrote:
This is a guy that cut McKinnie, who ends up taking over the LT position for the Ravens, leaving us with a gaping hole that forced wasting a top five pick on a LT.
You mean the Mckinne who is no longer the starting LT for the Ravens? Yeah, he's been benched. Hasn't started a game all year. Good move on the man's part as far as I am concerned.

joe h wrote:

What we need is aging free agent with an arm, draft a real wr and then over pay Harvin. In the next several years we will be losing more players than can be filled with draft picks. And if captain stupid keeps cutting players unnecessarily, we will only get worse.
Aging free agent? Name one that can do better. QB's take time to develop. They don't develop sitting on the bench.

What I would like to see is J. Wright get a chance to play. After all, can he do any worse then one of the WR's they are currently starting?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Raptorman wrote: You mean the Mckinne who is no longer the starting LT for the Ravens? Yeah, he's been benched. Hasn't started a game all year. Good move on the man's part as far as I am concerned.

Aging free agent? Name one that can do better. QB's take time to develop. They don't develop sitting on the bench.

What I would like to see is J. Wright get a chance to play. After all, can he do any worse then one of the WR's they are currently starting?
Watched 5 Raven games this year, in all five he was playing left tackle, maybe he's been benched, but that would have been in last couple weeks.

Green had no problem making play off runs with veterans, it wasn't until he settled on Culpepper that he was sent packing. Childress made both his playoff runs with Gus Frerotte and Farve.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

joe h wrote: Watched 5 Raven games this year, in all five he was playing left tackle, maybe he's been benched, but that would have been in last couple weeks.
You might want to check this Link:
McKinnie has been a strict reserve through the Ravens' first seven games, playing a grand total of 42 snaps
I'll refrain from snarky comments (on my part) but really? I think the McKinnie decision was one of the better ones. The guy was overpaid and undermotivated. Even if he had went and played well for the Ravens for the rest of his career, I'd still say it was the right call because the Vikings certainly weren't going to get any production out of him. But in this case, other than temporarily wanting to fool the Ravens into paying him, he has shown the same motivation for them that he did for us when we cut him. I'd suspect the Ravens and he wont share company much longer either....
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Vikings won't address the WR position until next offseason be it the draft, FA or both.

They won't be giving up picks for or signing any aging vets.
Their WR drafts suck so far. Ones a bust, the other is busted. Spielmans job at risk. If he is stupid enough to spend 38 mil on an injury prone TE, that we DONT even need, why wouldnt he get a vet WR? Not that Ponder could through to Megatron, but a Vet WR like Bowe IS worth spending picks on believe it or not. Not a first though ofc.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Their WR drafts suck so far. Ones a bust, the other is busted. Spielmans job at risk. If he is stupid enough to spend 38 mil on an injury prone TE, that we DONT even need, why wouldnt he get a vet WR? Not that Ponder could through to Megatron, but a Vet WR like Bowe IS worth spending picks on believe it or not. Not a first though ofc.
Which one is a bust? Wright?
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Their WR drafts suck so far. Ones a bust, the other is busted. Spielmans job at risk. If he is stupid enough to spend 38 mil on an injury prone TE, that we DONT even need, why wouldnt he get a vet WR? Not that Ponder could through to Megatron, but a Vet WR like Bowe IS worth spending picks on believe it or not. Not a first though ofc.

I wouldn't call a 4th round draft pick still in their rookie season a bust quite yet. Remember Robison was a 4th round pick and he didn't exactly light it up his first year and he's a starter now. So judging a WR they took a chance on in the 4th round in his first year is a bit premature. Also, Carlson was not given 38 Million, he's contract, although initially reported at 5 years 25 million is essentially a 2 year 11 million dollar contract. Not exactly huge money.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

MrPurplenGold wrote:
I wouldn't call a 4th round draft pick still in their rookie season a bust quite yet. Remember Robison was a 4th round pick and he didn't exactly light it up his first year and he's a starter now. So judging a WR they took a chance on in the 4th round in his first year is a bit premature. Also, Carlson was not given 38 Million, he's contract, although initially reported at 5 years 25 million is essentially a 2 year 11 million dollar contract. Not exactly huge money.
Not sure how you can call anyone a bust who hasn't played in a game yet. But that's just me.
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

There's no need to get our undies in a bunch. We're a rebuilding team that got off to a better start than expected. We shouldn't panic and over-spend on a #1 WR when we should be building the team through the draft. 2 or 3 years from now, provided good drafts, we will have a solid foundation to build on if we are patient and smart with our personnel decisions, and we can get that wideout to put the cherry on top of the super bowl sundae. Right now, it just doesn't make sense for us.