Jarius Wright

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Jarius Wright

Post by dead_poet »

From a chat today:
Let's go ahead and get all these out of the way now. As I've said before, he's a rookie receiver and at this point the Vikings don't trust him. He's a fourth-round draft pick. Not sure how many fourth-round picks are making an impact around the NFL, but I can't imagine it's many. He's on the field in part as a backup plan for Harvin. He's been training in at the same position, flanker. Burton brings more in the blocking phase. So, Wright bides his time. Remember, they left two guys on the 53 all last year without activating them.
Tom, you've said Jarius Wright hasn't been very good in practice. Is his route running or comprehension of the offense that bad, or what is it? He may not get on the field this year but do you guys think he have the speed or quickness yet to get separation in man coverage?
I don't think speed and quickness are the concerns with him. He comes from a very different offense, still learning the nuances, and I've never seen a guy drop more balls in practice. More than anything, he's caught in a numbers crunch. If something happened to Percy you can bet he'd be active.
IF Simpson can't get it going, any chance of tossing Wright out there to run the deep routes? he's pretty quick, and there have been short #1's (Steve Smith of Carolina)
Don't see that happening. Wright can't even get on the field so I don't expect that all of a sudden he will emerge as a deep threat. The VIkings see him as a slot guy behind Harvin. I did think Wright showed something in the final preseason game at Houston but he got hurt in that game and that's when he basically disappeared.
we need to calm down here a bit. Just because Wright isn't playing seven games into his rookie season doesn't mean he's a bust. Clearly, he isn't showing the coaching staff what they need to see or else he would be on the field. Doesn't mean he can't change that thought process either later this season, or more likely in training camp next summer.
Tom Pelissero & Judd Zulgad
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Re: Jarius Wright

Post by Demi »

we need to calm down here a bit. Just because Wright isn't playing seven games into his rookie season doesn't mean he's a bust. Clearly, he isn't showing the coaching staff what they need to see or else he would be on the field. Doesn't mean he can't change that thought process either later this season, or more likely in training camp next summer.
I don't think anyone is saying he's a bust.

We're wondering why, when we keep hearing from Pelissero himself that the receivers can't get any separation, we keep trotting them out there to not get open. Because the guy doesn't look great in practice? Didn't we go through this before. At least see how he looks in an actual game occasionally.