Buccaneers @ Vikings Gameday Discussion Thread -- Week 8

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

SkiUMaH l obby
Waterboy

Re: Buccaneers @ Vikings Gameday Discussion Thread -- Week 8

Post by SkiUMaH l obby »

Is it just me, or am I still seeing the same blown coverage problem that we had last year?
It's a burden that I must and will endure
Solar
Waterboy

Post by Solar »

I only watched the first half of this game and a little into the third, the rest of the half i just looked at my phone from time to time. I was disgusted with almost every aspect of our game tonight EXCEPT Running , D-Line, Kicker, and Linebacker FLOW. I don't wanna say this but we are starting to get exposed. I believe we couldve put it on them early in the game but first drive we open up, Pass for 0 run for 8 pass for 0. If my running back EVER ran on 2&10 for 8, he's 100% running on 3rd down . Then most likely we pick up first first down of the game and continue from there, WHO KNOWS WHAT but im just saying Adrian was an exploding cannon shell tonight which is more lovely too see every week. I just felt like we were trying to prove a point with Ponder, and we didn't prove anything other than hes not that good. And we didnt ENFORCE Adrian Peterson and the early success he got during the game [MINUS FUMBLE] Penalties were ridiculous , fumbles were outrageous, and our Punter outright sucked. Run Defense is getting VERRRRRRRY CHIPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbang: :steamed: :wallbang: . If we don't beat Seattle next week @Seattle may I add, we may be in for a disappointing Vikings season. I NEED TO SEE SOMETHING. Confindence is being lost on the O-Line because QB play is terrible and our Passing offense as a whole is a joke and suspect. Musgrave needs to change it up this quick out and flare and then chuck it up and hope for Pass interference PI, is not working anymore. :wallbang: I'm very upset the Bucs ran the ball the way they did and our Zone coverage looked like New England defense. I cant stop :wallbang: how we let this one slip :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: had HIGHHHH hopes but LOW expectations coming in but hate too see week by week whats going on. :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: Still there is hope, but Seattle and Lions before BYE is must win to go in 7-3 and then got CHI, GB, CHI . So if theres anytime to PICK IT UP !!!! Its NOW . :govikes: :wtf:
I have faith the Vikings will be contenders . They must correct offensive mistakes though .

Go Vikes
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Eliot wrote:You know, we are 5-3. People think we should be 2-6! We beat the 49ers! I still won't be surprised to see us with 9-10 wins at the end of the season.
I want some of what you are smoking/drinking/shooting! The last three games have drained that kind of optimism out of me.
doa2k
Veteran

Post by doa2k »

Vikings got completely caught on their heels last night by a team thats vastly underated and has been improving and gelling for weeks and simply steamrolled over them.

Its gut check time in V-land with the hardest part for the schedule ahead of them.
GO V!
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

petev_sj wrote:The thing that stuck out the most for me in this game is how the receivers don't turn around when there is an all out blitz. They just run straight ahead and not go to the vacant spot.
Actually, I distinctly remember a play where they blitzed and Simpson cut off his fade route short for a quick pass (like he should), and the DB kept going on the fade route, and Ponder threw the fade. Initially the announcers were blaming the miscommunication on Simpson, but then after watching the replay they were like, "good job by Simpson cutting off his route for the blitz, Ponder needs to recognize that". Not saying our receivers are good, and they messed up their share last night, but I'd put the majority of the blame on Ponder.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

doa2k wrote:Vikings got completely caught on their heels last night by a team thats vastly underated and has been improving and gelling for weeks and simply steamrolled over them.

Its gut check time in V-land with the hardest part for the schedule ahead of them.
We did get caught off guard and Frazier is accepting responsibility for it, but TB is not a vastly underrated team. I've watched them play; they are a mediocre team in a subpar division.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

LA Viking wrote:Actually, I distinctly remember a play where they blitzed and Simpson cut off his fade route short for a quick pass (like he should), and the DB kept going on the fade route, and Ponder threw the fade. Initially the announcers were blaming the miscommunication on Simpson, but then after watching the replay they were like, "good job by Simpson cutting off his route for the blitz, Ponder needs to recognize that". Not saying our receivers are good, and they messed up their share last night, but I'd put the majority of the blame on Ponder.
On a play like that, it's just two guys thinking differently and they need to get on the same page. Simpson saw the blitz and cut his route short. Ponder saw the blitz and knew he had Simpson in single coverage on the outside. He threw the route he expected to be there and it's just as legitimate in response to a blitz as what Simpson did. In theory, it's not a bad choice by either player. What's bad is that they made different choices. Determining who was to blame would require knowing what they're coached to do in that situation. We don't have that information and I doubt Mayock does either.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

I personally wonder how much time Musgraves gives Ponder to just work with the receivers on getting some chemistry going. It seems like Aroma and Rudolph are the only ones NEAR the same page as ponder and that isnt even all that often.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: On a play like that, it's just two guys thinking differently and they need to get on the same page. Simpson saw the blitz and cut his route short. Ponder saw the blitz and knew he had Simpson in single coverage on the outside. He threw the route he expected to be there and it's just as legitimate in response to a blitz as what Simpson did. In theory, it's not a bad choice by either player. What's bad is that they made different choices. Determining who was to blame would require knowing what they're coached to do in that situation. We don't have that information and I doubt Mayock does either.
The problem is they made their choices at the same time. Had Simpson cut off a second earlier perhaps Ponder would have seen it. Instead, Ponder is already in his throwing motion when Simpson stops, but maybe I'm misremembering that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:The problem is they made their choices at the same time. Had Simpson cut off a second earlier perhaps Ponder would have seen it. Instead, Ponder is already in his throwing motion when Simpson stops, but maybe I'm misremembering that.
That's how I remember it too.