Vikings' rise keyed by championship-caliber defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings' rise keyed by championship-caliber defense

Post by Mothman »

Great read from Bucky Brooks about the Vikings defense:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... er-defense
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings' rise keyed by championship-caliber defense

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Idk, I'm not ready to say they are too dominant just yet. I think they are good... but not consistent enough for an extended postseason run... yet...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Good article. The Vikings need the D to keep hitting and playing precisely as the season progresses. The games are going to get more difficult.

Also, intangibles could still play a part. Hopefully, there are no bad injuries. If there are, we'll see if the Vikings D has the necessary roster depth to maintain their good play.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

The fact that we have played 4(5 after Thursday's game) home games has also helped(and will hurt down the stretch) us so far...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

The Vikings' defense is currently ranked 12th in the NFL by DVOA.

The Packers, by comparison, are ranked 10th. No one's calling that Packer defense "championship-caliber" or "dominant."

http://footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratin ... oa-ratings
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Sinatra wrote:The Vikings' defense is currently ranked 12th in the NFL by DVOA.

The Packers, by comparison, are ranked 10th. No one's calling that Packer defense "championship-caliber" or "dominant."

http://footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratin ... oa-ratings
The adjectives used to describe the defense don't really matter. I thought the article was interesting because it goes into some depth about the defense and how it works.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Solid article. I’m becoming convinced that the Harrison Smith pick was as pivotal a the Kalil pick in terms of shoring up a position and group and turning a weakness into a strength.

Hopefully Musgrave and Ponder can figure some stuff out over the next 3 weeks to find some consistency/confidence going into the meat of our NFC North Schedule. I’m not sold on us winning the division, but I no longer think it is outside of the realm of reason. I thought Tim Ryan, one of the announcers last Sunday, hit it right: The team will go as far as its offense can take them, the Defense is legit. I’m really looking forward to the games against Chicago. Who has the meanest defense in the NFC North?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Solid article. I’m becoming convinced that the Harrison Smith pick was as pivotal a the Kalil pick in terms of shoring up a position and group and turning a weakness into a strength.

Hopefully Musgrave and Ponder can figure some stuff out over the next 3 weeks to find some consistency/confidence going into the meat of our NFC North Schedule. I’m not sold on us winning the division, but I no longer think it is outside of the realm of reason. I thought Tim Ryan, one of the announcers last Sunday, hit it right: The team will go as far as its offense can take them, the Defense is legit. I’m really looking forward to the games against Chicago. Who has the meanest defense in the NFC North?

Detroit might be the meanest but it's not the most effective. :) The Bears are easily the most opportunistic.

None of the NFCN defenses are particularly easy to face. This is a tough division!
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

The Harrison Smith pick was not liked by some on this board that would have preferred us to keep our 2nd round pick which of course was a high #2 pick that the Ravens used on LB Courtney Upshaw. I didn't know anything about Smith, but figured the front office did their due diligence on him to trade up for him. So far, he has proven to be the right choice.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote: Detroit might be the meanest but it's not the most effective. :) The Bears are easily the most opportunistic.

None of the NFCN defenses are particularly easy to face. This is a tough division!
I bet if you asked Calvin Johnson that question he might have a different answer.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote: I bet if you asked Calvin Johnson that question he might have a different answer.

LOL! I'll be he would too.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

All I can say after watching this defense against the Bucs is :steamed:

I've seen championship-caliber defense. The Vikings don't have anything resembling a championship-caliber defense. Should have brought some lube to this game...
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingLord wrote:All I can say after watching this defense against the Bucs is :steamed:

I've seen championship-caliber defense. The Vikings don't have anything resembling a championship-caliber defense. Should have brought some lube to this game...

Well the offense didn't help either...
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

This so called championship defense just got schooled tonite by a less than stellar offensive team. Just imagine what Green Bay will do to us.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I actually thought Tampa Bay was the most explosive offense we'd seen so far (even before the game) and feared this outcome. Cook with broken wrist huh?
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.