Vikings trending away from the blitz

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings trending away from the blitz

Post by dead_poet »

As you can see, Williams -- a first-time coordinator -- has powered down the blitzes over those seven weeks, mostly to the benefit of the Vikings' defense. Consider it our first real insight into Williams' thought process as a schemer and game-planner.

"He's become much more comfortable with our players and what their abilities are," Frazier said. "I mentioned to him, just prior to [Week 5], just the way he was conducting himself with our players and in the meetings, he's really, really grown in the short time we've been together and he's going to get better and better and in turn, our defense will benefit from him."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -the-blitz
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
sdranger
Rookie

Re: Vikings trending away from the blitz

Post by sdranger »

It's a good thing. Life long Viking fans know we don't blitz often. Only in the last few years we have had to. I give credit to the secondary, it seems they actually can cover a reciever now. If they keep it up we won't have to blitz. But I would assume when we meet the Bears and Packers we will have to at some point.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

But I would assume when we meet the Bears and Packers we will have to at some point.
Going to be interesting to see how the defense handles some top quarterbacks, as opposed to the cream puffs they've been facing so far. 5 of their last 6 are against better QBs than they're going to face in any other games. Hell of a way to end a season. Let's hope they're ready for it, and neither the players or coaches get over confident "not blitzing" the guys we've faced.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Going to be interesting to see how the defense handles some top quarterbacks, as opposed to the cream puffs they've been facing so far. 5 of their last 6 are against better QBs than they're going to face in any other games. Hell of a way to end a season. Let's hope they're ready for it, and neither the players or coaches get over confident "not blitzing" the guys we've faced.

Blitzing them could be just as dangerous. The Vikes will have to be creative and disciplined either way.
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

Demi wrote: Going to be interesting to see how the defense handles some top quarterbacks, as opposed to the cream puffs they've been facing so far. 5 of their last 6 are against better QBs than they're going to face in any other games. Hell of a way to end a season. Let's hope they're ready for it, and neither the players or coaches get over confident "not blitzing" the guys we've faced.
Tonight is definitely a good test as Josh Freeman seems to be back to his 2010 form. He is putting up really good numbers in the last few games.