Breaking down the tape: Vikings vs. Cardinals

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Breaking down the tape: Vikings vs. Cardinals

Post by Juice »

"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Breaking down the tape: Vikings vs. Cardinals

Post by Eli »

Matt Asiata made a good, aggressive move to cover up an onside kick that was offsides anyway.
Jeez, I'd almost forgotten that stiff was still on the roster.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

What makes him a stiff? He's done decent for the minor times he's played. For someone that we aren't paying much to play 3rd string RB/FB, I think he's done well.

He's actually done a pretty good job on special teams multiple times this season on kickoffs. He ended up getting 2 kickoffs against jacksonville I think it was and has demonstrated some good blocking. His hands are better than Detroit's returner at least :D
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

Wow, Simpson played 39 snaps? I thought they took him out after PI call because of his injury. He was invisible to me after that...
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

LA Viking wrote:Wow, Simpson played 39 snaps? I thought they took him out after PI call because of his injury. He was invisible to me after that...
When your qb plays as poorly as ponder did, WRs are bound to disappear
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

or when your Oline and wrs play just as bad as ponder, it is bound to happen
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

smoothoperator wrote:or when your Oline and wrs play just as bad as ponder, it is bound to happen

Exactly. I'm eager to see what was going on downfield on some of the plays where the blocking broke down. Whether Simpson and other receivers were open or not, it might at least tell us more about the intent of the plays.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

Right after the Vikings signed Simpson I went to a Bengals message boards to see what they had to say about him. One of the knocks they had on him was that he tends to disappear during games. I don't know if I'd say this is the same case since it sounds like he was getting a lot of attention from Arizona's secondary. That combined with poor QB play, pass blocking and coming back from injury, but it's something to keep an eye on.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Juice wrote:Right after the Vikings signed Simpson I went to a Bengals message boards to see what they had to say about him. One of the knocks they had on him was that he tends to disappear during games. I don't know if I'd say this is the same case since it sounds like he was getting a lot of attention from Arizona's secondary. That combined with poor QB play, pass blocking and coming back from injury, but it's something to keep an eye on.
Interesting. Thanks for that info. It prompted me to do a quick search and I found this:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/1 ... onsistency
The other starting wideout, Jerome Simpson, has been inconsistent. Drops have been an issue at times. Also, his technique and instincts have been occasionally lacking, the way we hear it. Simpson, who's in his first full season as a starter, has exceeded 100 yards receiving three times in 2011 but has also caught two or fewer passes in seven games. The 6-2, 190-pound Simpson has exceptional athleticism; there's some sentiment that he's helping the offense even if his production lags, considering his big-play ability. We're told Simpson works hard, and the club is keeping the faith that he can develop.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson is NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
:rock:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly