Vikings pass defense main reason for 5-2?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings pass defense main reason for 5-2?

Post by Raptorman »

I don’t think anyone here would argue that the Vikings defense is the main reason the Vikings are 5-2. But how much have they changed from last year? Based on just a few stats, and I don’t intend this to be an end all discussion on the defense, but some things are not quite obvious at this point of the year. The run defense is holding its own. Last year they gave up 3.9 yards per carry and this year that has not changed. While they are giving up a few more yards per game, that corresponds to the extra attempts per game so the run game has not really changed that much. Fewer less 20+ running plays and an extra td given up so far.

The passing defense however. So far this year, and I know it’s still not half over, but the passing defense has made a big jump. Last year the Vikings passing defense QB rating was 107.6. So far this year it is an 86.1. A 21.5 jump down in passer rating. No other team has a higher change so far. Now, we have not played the Packers or the Bears yet, and I expect this to change (go up). As of now however, the passing defense has improved. Some not so random stats for the passing defense so far this year.

Code: Select all

Passing defesne Per game           2011     2012
Td’s                                2.1      1.1
20+ yards plays                     3.4      2.0
40+ yard plays                       .8       .1
Sacks                               3.1      3.1    yes, they are back on pace for 50 sacks this year.   
QB rate                           107.6     86.1
Now if only the offense could make some strides.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
9man
Transition Player

Re: Vikings pass defense main reason for 5-2?

Post by 9man »

Harrison smith has improved this teams D-back greatly, as the stats show. The thing is the guy is all over the place making plays. He is aggressive and surprisingly fast. He was a smart draft pick, a huge hole in the defense was filled.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

Those two young guys in the secondary (Robinson and Smith) have been very surprising back there. The safety spot has been stabilized to a large degree. The Vikings have done a great job of shutting down elite WR's such as Megatron and Fitzgerald plus you can't argue with 7 sacks!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

no its one of the reason the OL kicker even Ponder(except for last game) has really
improved. This years schedule has helped as well.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I think having Cook back and Winfield healthier has helped a lot as well. The new talent plus our veteran guys have helped turn it around so far.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I do agree that the defense is greatly improved and I do think it is a very significant contributor to our start. However, the more I think about it, the change to our Special Teams is even more impressive. Between Walsh and Harvin we are now one of the best Special Teams clubs in the entire league. All by basically adding a kicker. That is very impressive and under reported IMO.

That is not a knock on the defense either. THe improvement to our pass D is amazing as well. I'm just ultra inpressed with our ST play right now. Our kicker is almost a guaranteed touchback, plus he is viable at 55+ yard. That takes the opposing clubs ST out of the picture and gives us a huge tool late in close games. Then there is the freak that is Percy Harvin...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

This might be an unpopular opinion but I feel like Jamarca is playing pretty well. Dude is playing for a job and I'm not TOTALLY sold on Raymond yet.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NextQuestion wrote:This might be an unpopular opinion but I feel like Jamarca is playing pretty well. Dude is playing for a job and I'm not TOTALLY sold on Raymond yet.
Sanford has taken his game to a higher level this season. He's playing so well that he should remain the starter once Raymond is healthy.
lyzarde
Veteran

Post by lyzarde »

It's pretty simple really, Vikes D is healthy this year.

Cook and Winfield are on the field, playing well.
Rookies Josh Robinson and Harrison Smith are both playing well and staying healthy.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

GBFavreFan wrote: I am more scared of the Bears than the Packers because they aren't as one-dimensional as GB.
I agree with this. Maybe I just don't realize how good Stephens-Howling is, but Forte has me worried. A healthy Forte is way better than anything the Packers have in the backfield.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

Biggest surprise to me is the way the DBS are playing. Who would have thought they would be anywhere near respectable this season. Harrison smith is a stud. Vikes hit on both 1st rounders this year!
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

For the style of football the Vikings play having the pass defense step up has been a huge reason why the Vikings are 5-2. Winfield, Smith and Robison are playing really solid football. Sanford has improved remarkably over the past year and pairs well with Smith. Cook although not having any flashy stats, or highlights is playing solid... or at the very least isn't killing us.

Also of note is the tackling has improved by leaps and bounds in the secondary (not including Winfield who has always been especially strong at tackling). Outside of yesterday the Vikings have been able to get a player on the ground the first time, rather then allowing him to slip away and get some extra yards.

If anyone has a stat for YAC in 2011 (against the vikings) versus YAC in 2012 that would be awesome.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

2012: 601 YAC for our opponents
2011: 2011 YAC for our opponents

85.9 YAC/G now vs. 125.7 YAC/G then
Solar
Waterboy

Post by Solar »

Hopefully these stats hold true against Chicago week 12 and 14 , and Greenbay week 13 and 17. More Green Bay than Chicago because it kind of looks like the cheese are getting back at it . Wont find out for sure this week though, because they're only playing Jags.
I have faith the Vikings will be contenders . They must correct offensive mistakes though .

Go Vikes
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Allan Williams has this team tackling much better. Robison is playing like a stud. Harrison Smith was an immediate secondary upgrade as was Robinson. Winfield isn't hurt and Cook isn't choking women. Oh, and throw in some good words for Everson "Emmerson Bigguns" Griffin (Most forced Morrow household nickname for a Vikings player ever) and Brinkley.