Postgame thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Postgame thoughts

Post by Mothman »

LA Viking wrote:Right, but the clock handling is on Frazier. They got the ball on their 13 with 50 sec to play, and they showed aggression by trying to pass (I respect it since we are generally a conservative team - going WAY back), but I would have just run the clock out. Ponder scrambles - instead of throwing it away, and then they let the clock run down to 19 sec... Fine, just going to run out the clock and go into the half. Nope, pass and then TO. Um... ok. Then Ponder makes a terrible pass across his body when AD was covered, with 5 seconds left with no possibility to score.

Clock management was terrible (Frazier) and play calling was not good (Musgrave). Though, it's the discretion of the HC that makes the decision to try and score vs run out the clock (right?), and I think Frazier screwed up the end of the half. Luckily, they missed the FG, otherwise, it could have changed the game.
I'd say it's on everybody: Frazier, Musgrave and Ponder. The clock management and play selection at the end of that half was definitely messy.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purplemania wrote: Don't forget about Robinson. The kid's was covering Fitzgerald most of the game and held his own. He also did a great job on Calvin Johnson....I honestly see him as a Winfield clone. Small, fast, quick, but can hit you hard. Love it. I think within the next few years he is going to be a household name....
You bet. I was delighted when the Vikings drafted Josh Robinson and I appreciate his work ethic and performance on the field so far. I think the kid could become a top tier DB.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Here's a link to a video of Tom Pelissero and Judd Zulgad discussing some things that happened in Sunday's game as well as the Vikings preparation for Tampa Bay and some other things:

http://www.1500espn.com/videos/christia ... und_to_tam

Near the end of the video, Pelissero smiled and mentioned that the #1 thing the Vikes worked on before practice today was tackling. Clearly, the coaches weren't happy with the missed tackles against the Cardinals.

The first few minutes of the video contains some discussion about Jerome Simpson and why he wasn't more of a factor in the game. Pelissero talks about some plays where the Vikings probably thought they could get something going down the field with Simpson and how they went wrong (pressure, coverage changes, etc.). It's interesting stuff.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote: I'm guessing Ponder's interpretation of the "physical" part might be the bad mechanics he has demonstrated on certain plays recently. The awkward across-the-body throw over Rudolph's head for a pick in the last game is a good example.

Otherwise, I don't know what Ponder is talking about by saying his mistakes are physical. I agree wholeheartedly that they have to do with terrible decisions.
Exactly.

He definitely showed bad footwork, but that doesn't make his decisions any less dumb.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Its odd that the D has improved so much this year, but they sure have missed alot of tackles. Im so glad the D is good, makes me like Fraizer more. I was really beginning to worry what would happen next year, starting over again with a new HC.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

ponder is not going to lead this team anywhere, and the sooner everyone realizes it the better. if we had a real qb, i.e. daulton, we might be 7-0. this kid cannot get the ball down the field, and in what is a passing league anymore, he is doomed. the problem is he keeps putting up stats that are just good enough to keep him around.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

mosscarter wrote:... if we had a real qb, i.e. daulton...
Ah, I love of bit of irony with my coffee.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Very interesting...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/f ... /notes.htm
Ponder is being ripped for completing only one pass for 4 yards as the Vikings mustered just two first downs in the second half. Yes, he didn't play well in the half, but the Vikings' approach changed dramatically once rookie safety Harrison Smith made it a 14-point ballgame (21-7) by returning an interception for a touchdown on the Cardinals' opening possession of the second half.

At that point, whether Frazier will admit it or not, the Vikings threw their trust behind their defense, not their young quarterback.

From that point until the end of the game, Ponder threw only seven passes. That followed a pattern of other games in which the Vikings build second-half leads.

Against the 49ers, Ponder threw 12 second-half passes, completing six for 55 yards and a touchdown. He threw 11 against Detroit, completing six for 52 yards. And against Tennessee, he threw 14, completing 12 for 100 yards and two touchdowns.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think this is making a mountain of a mole hill. (the article, not you Jim) This team also happenes to have Adrian Petersen and last I checked, running the ball is the preferred method to run time off the clock. If you have a healthy lead why wouldn't you do that?

Ponder has had some bad games. No one is denying that, but this is getting out of hand IMO. What evidence do people have that his sudden slide is going to continue forever? I've yet to see that case presented, despite so many assuming it is a foregone conclusion.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I think this is making a mountain of a mole hill. (the article, not you Jim) This team also happenes to have Adrian Petersen and last I checked, running the ball is the preferred method to run time off the clock. If you have a healthy lead why wouldn't you do that?
The article definitely implies that Frazier has taken that approach due to a lack of confidence in his QB but as you're pointing out, it's at least as likely that it's just the strategy he prefers. It certainly plays to his team's strengths so, as you say, why wouldn't he do that?
Ponder has had some bad games. No one is denying that, but this is getting out of hand IMO. What evidence do people have that his sudden slide is going to continue forever? I've yet to see that case presented, despite so many assuming it is a foregone conclusion.
I don't think there's a convincing case to be presented for his slump becoming a permanent slide. As far as I'm concerned, this is all part of the QB development process.

I think it's hilarious how the writer tried to dismiss the positive aspects of Ponder's 4th quarter performance against Washington:
Anyone who considers Ponder's 353-yard performance in a loss at Washington good are more wrapped up in Fantasy Football than reality. Ponder threw for 212 of those yards and both touchdowns after his pick-six put the Vikings down 19 points early in the fourth quarter.
If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady bring their team back from a deficit in the 4th quarter, they're lauded for it. In Ponder's case, directing 2 TD drives and reducing a 19 point deficit to a 5 point deficit is apparently meaningless. I get that the Redskins were probably playing softer coverage at that point but the QB's job in that situation is to take advantage of such coverage, drive the team and score. Ponder did that and we see plenty of QBs fail to do that in similar circumstances so it's not something that should just be dismissed.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Can't we all just agree that Ponder is about a B- so far this season, on the whole?

He's still a youngster. I honestly don't ever expect him to get beyond "Alex Smith status", but at least we have what seems a serviceable QB with at least some upside.

If we get an opportunity in the next year or two to land a "franchise QB" in the draft - by hook or by crook - I am all for the team going for it.

In the meantime, while I am not expecting greatness, I will enjoy seeing Ponder improve (even if little bit by little bit) because the short-term alternatives IMO are dreadful.

And to be brutally honest, I can live with Ponder sucking or killing us in a game or two as long as I can watch other young players on the team exceed my expectations every week. We don't have to win every game for me to feel good about the team and enjoy watching the games.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

psjordan wrote:Can't we all just agree that Ponder is about a B- so far this season, on the whole?
"Can we all just agree..."

You know better than that. :)

A B- sounds about right to me.
In the meantime, while I am not expecting greatness, I will enjoy seeing Ponder improve (even if little bit by little bit) because the short-term alternatives IMO are dreadful.

And to be brutally honest, I can live with Ponder sucking or killing us in a game or two as long as I can watch other young players on the team exceed my expectations every week. We don't have to win every game for me to feel good about the team and enjoy watching the games.
Well said. I'm enjoying watching the whole team play and develop this season.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote:
That's where I am too. Considering most people thought we'd be about 2-5 right now rather than 5-2, I'm just having a blast watching the team. Sure, there are things I'd like to see them do better but they're way ahead of schedule in my opinion. Especially for what everyone agreed is "a rebuilding year".
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

mosscarter wrote:ponder is not going to lead this team anywhere, and the sooner everyone realizes it the better. if we had a real qb, i.e. daulton, we might be 7-0. this kid cannot get the ball down the field, and in what is a passing league anymore, he is doomed. the problem is he keeps putting up stats that are just good enough to keep him around.
And what exactly makes dalton so much better than ponder? They have almost identical qb ratings, similar td-int ratio and dalton has 300 yards on ponder, but happens to also have currently the best wr in the game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

saint33 wrote: And what exactly makes dalton so much better than ponder? They have almost identical qb ratings, similar td-int ratio and dalton has 300 yards on ponder, but happens to also have currently the best wr in the game.
The grass is always greener...