Postgame thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Postgame thoughts

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Christian Ponder and the passing game--- W...T...F... The worse game since Spergeon Wynn was QB.

AD- Best RB in the NFL bar none.

Walsh and Kluwe- awesome games for both.

Defense- Not great but got the job done.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Postgame thoughts

Post by Mothman »

I'm looking forward to seeing the whole game but i'm not looking forward to seeing what happened (and didn't) in the passing game. Hopefully, Ponder and company can shake it off and play much better on Thursday.

From what I saw and heard, the running game was impressive today and the defense made the plays they needed to make to get the win. Kudos to Smith for his first career INT and TD!
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Penalties and offensive ineptitude will be the focal point from this win. Which is sad considering it'll overshadow AP playing lights out and carrying the offense on his back.

I don't think Ponder, or this offense is able to handle the slightest error in their gameplan. When things go sour both Ponder and Musgrave scramble to try to make a play, or get back on track. I don't know if something rattled Ponder, or if this is just part of who he is but that first interception has opened the flood gate to bad decisions, or errant passes. The passing game has yet to play a complete game of football. Soaring high, then falling from quarter to quarter. I won't give up on Ponder until he proves from a physical, and a mental standpoint that he doesn't have it.

On the defensive side Smith getting a pick six was one of the most encouraging plays to happen on that defense in a long time. You always yearn for what you don't have, and neglect to pay attention to what you do. Fumbles are awesome, they're a huge piece of this defense but getting an INT and turning that into 6 is something that hasn't happened for this defense in a long time.

Penalties... I have no clue how a team that has been pretty damn disciplined (especially at home) comes out and ends up playing sloppy football like they did.

There are a lot of things to fix, or improve before Thursday and it'll be a real test of the mental fortitude of this team.
Last edited by FailedtoOpen on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ponder sucks. I know its only his second year, doesnt make him suck any less. Its like Tjoke all over again. People defended him just like Ponder. He just wasnt cut out to be a QB no matter how much Viking fans wanted him to be. Ponder gets worse with time. The short passes to PH dont count, Webb could manage that, and the game, as well as Ponder, and Webb shouldnt even be listed as a QB IMO.

The D did well. When they had to, they came up big just about every time (except when they went prevent). I Love the sacks. Smith is the pick of the draft IMO. Ponder handed AZ their other score on a platter.

Walsh is $ He doesnt even give out ST a chance to make a mistake.

Musgrave is horrible at play calling. HORRILE.

Someone need to tell Fraizer hes a HC and get this team some discipline. Too many penalties.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The most important thing I'm taking away from this one is the 5-2 record. It doesn't matter how they got there, in 7 games the Vikings have already improved over last year's record by 2 games and they maintain a lead over GB in the division, while keeping themselves in range of the first place Bears.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

When they turn on the pressure, Ponder always seems to throw it right where the majority of the coverage is. Seems like teams are sniffing out certain plays, because almost every time he throws an interception, you can see that he's locked into a receiver that is supposed to be on that side, but he's triple covered and Ponder is also seeing a serious rush. It's not like "oops, my bad" interceptions where he has perfect protection and just throws it into the other team's hands. It's always where the only play he could make would be on the other side of the field and he can't risk that nor does he have enough room to run it out.

On the plus side, it's good to see AD be AD. That seems to bail the team out of a lot of tough days. It seems like opponents are zeroing in on Ponder rather than AD by using gimmicky coverage, and AD will definitely make them pay for it.
-Rus
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote:The most important thing I'm taking away from this one is the 5-2 record. It doesn't matter how they got there, in 7 games the Vikings have already improved over last year's record by 2 games and they maintain a lead over GB in the division, while keeping themselves in range of the first place Bears.
I agree. Its as many wins as I thought we would have all year. Bad news thought is, the Offense isnt getting any better, besuides AD. And hes just getting more healthy. Hes simply a beast. And the short stuff to PH works, but watch other games. Ponder has no chance to make those plays, Simpson or not. Thats whats sucks for us now, he is the weakest link. But its still fun getting wins, it makes my week. Seeing guys like Robo, JA, PH, and the 2 rookie of the year Walsh and Smith make those plays gets anyones heart pumping.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

This is the time when you start to ask whether teams have figured out Ponder, or our whole offense.

So which is the real Ponder? The one we saw in weeks 1-4, or the one in the last three games and all of last season (other than the Denver game). I'm starting to get that "Joe Webb" feeling again. He can't be worse than the QB we saw today.

The defensive play was mixed. Some good plays, some bad. We won't have a chance against some of the better offenses in the league playing like today.

Let's hope that they thought they had the game in the bag, and weren't really into the game. At least then we can hope that they'll flip the switch when the time comes to play with the big boys.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Ponder sucks. I know its only his second year, doesnt make him suck any less. Its like Tjoke all over again. People defended him just like Ponder. He just wasnt cut out to be a QB no matter how much Viking fans wanted him to be. Ponder gets worse with time. The short passes to PH dont count, Webb could manage that, and the game, as well as Ponder, and Webb shouldnt even be listed as a QB IMO.
People defended T-Jack because of his athleticism and the upsides that came from it. However he had his fair share of skeptics even from the start. I don't get why Ponder is criticized for his short passes like it's some taboo in football to throw for 2-5 yards and allow your highly athletic receiver to make a play.

Also you neglect to mention that he has made his fair share of throws that were very impressive this season. You're gonna get bad throws, and good throws that's just how the game works.
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Someone need to tell Fraizer hes a HC and get this team some discipline. Too many penalties.
The Vikings have had something like 2 false starts up to this game. They've played very disciplined over the course of the season. Although the last two weeks have been much worse in terms of range, and amount of penalties.
John_Viveiros wrote:This is the time when you start to ask whether teams have figured out Ponder, or our whole offense.

So which is the real Ponder? The one we saw in weeks 1-4, or the one in the last three games and all of last season (other than the Denver game).
The real Ponder if the player we've seen since the start, he the collection of all those things. To simply take a small sample size and make a accurate judgement on a player is asinine. It's like asking "What's the real Peyton Manning? The Manning who played against the Falcons, or the Manning who played against the Chargers?"
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

After today, I'm not entirely opposed to bringing in Joe Webb. Man, that was a horrible game by Ponder.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

5 and 2. Team is doing better then I could have ever predicted in the beginning of the season. Need a quick turn around for Thursday's game. This team has been a fun ride so far. You never know who is going to be the hero each game. Brian Friggen Robison had 3 sacks today. 3 SACKS!!!!!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

FailedtoOpen wrote: People defended T-Jack because of his athleticism and the upsides that came from it. However he had his fair share of skeptics even from the start. I don't get why Ponder is criticized for his short passes like it's some taboo in football to throw for 2-5 yards and allow your highly athletic receiver to make a play.

Also you neglect to mention that he has made his fair share of throws that were very impressive this season. You're gonna get bad throws, and good throws that's just how the game works.
The Vikings have had something like 2 false starts up to this game. They've played very disciplined over the course of the season. Although the last two weeks have been much worse in terms of range, and amount of penalties.
The real Ponder if the player we've seen since the start, he the collection of all those things. To simply take a small sample size and make a accurate judgement on a player is asinine. It's like asking "What's the real Peyton Manning? The Manning who played against the Falcons, or the Manning who played against the Chargers?"
Im not criticizing Ponder for his short throws, im saying thats about all he is capable of doing. And any NFL QB could do it. We could put in Webb and not miss a beat, and prolly have less turnovers. And no im not saying put in Webb. Im saying Ponder is just barely the better QB. When Ponder starts hitting Simpson on stride on deep routes, or PH, who can burn just about anyone Ill give Ponder the praise he deserves.
heck right now if he just uses his head i will be a little less upset.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Hey, it was a sloppy, sloppy game against a really good defense and a sub-par offense (although their running game seemed to come out of nowhere). I'll take that win as more of a moral victory than anything going into this Thursday night game.

SKOL
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Ponder had a bad game without a doubt. he really is a first year QB given last years CBA strike and McFlabb
starting most of the first half.

I really don't like Charles Johnson on our OL he lets a lot of guy slip through.

Peterson had a great game, Our defense was solid but missed some tackles.
I was glad to smith get the pick six for us.

We have improved but we need another wide out and LB and a replacement for
Johnson on the OL next season
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Im not criticizing Ponder for his short throws, im saying thats about all he is capable of doing. And any NFL QB could do it. We could put in Webb and not miss a beat, and prolly have less turnovers. And no im not saying put in Webb. Im saying Ponder is just barely the better QB. When Ponder starts hitting Simpson on stride on deep routes, or PH, who can burn just about anyone Ill give Ponder the praise he deserves.
heck right now if he just uses his head i will be a little less upset.
Percy Harvin may be able to burn people on routes...but he's not a deep receiver because of the size that he's lacking. He's not able to fight the ball like Simpson. Once we get another WR that's fast and big like Simpson, then we'll be good to go in the WR corps.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides