Despite the loss to the Redskins ...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Despite the loss to the Redskins ...

Post by losperros »

I didn't get to see the entire game, so I had to settle for seeing some of the second half. Based on that brief observation, I could be wrong but it appeared to me that both Musgrave and Ponder regressed a bit in this game. Ponder looked at times like he did last season and Musgrave was taking both AD and Harvin out on critical downs.

Is this a sign of things to come? Or is it merely a small road bump? That will greatly determine the season for the Vikings.

It still seems that this is a better Vikings team now than what they had last year. However, given their schedule, they badly need wins in their next two home games to remain competitive.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I didn't get to see the entire game, so I had to settle for seeing some of the second half. Based on that brief observation, I could be wrong but it appeared to me that both Musgrave and Ponder regressed a bit in this game. Ponder looked at times like he did last season and Musgrave was taking both AD and Harvin out on critical downs.
I think Harvin took himself out a few times. He was getting banged up and at one point they were looking at his knee, which was bleeding but apparently is okay. Both Harvin and Peterson were injured up going into this game so that may partially explain why they were taken out at times. However, I know what you mean. There were some plays in the red zone where I was very aggravated to see AD on the sidelines.

Other than some red zone issues, I thought Musgrave called a good game. Ponder had some issues but then, so did the rest of the team. I thought the Vikes regressed as a team in this one and the Redskins had a lot do with that. They were throwing blitzes at the Vikes that the Vikings didn't handle well and Griffin's mobility really broke down the disciplined defense that helped the Vikes to 3 consecutive wins. They lost gap control at times and just struggled to adjust to what the Redskins were doing to them. There were also pre-snap penalties on offense and a few penalties against the defense that really hurt. It just wasn't the style of play that helped them get 3 wins in a row.
Is this a sign of things to come? Or is it merely a small road bump? That will greatly determine the season for the Vikings.
I'm guessing it was the first of several road bumps but I agree with you that the team seems improved and improvement is what I'm really looking for from the Vikes this season. Anything more is just a fun bonus.

Jim
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I think Harvin took himself out a few times. He was getting banged up and at one point they were looking at his knee, which was bleeding but apparently is okay. Both Harvin and Peterson were injured up going into this game so that may partially explain why they were taken out at times. However, I know what you mean. There were some plays in the red zone where I was very aggravated to see AD on the sidelines.

Other than some red zone issues, I thought Musgrave called a good game. Ponder had some issues but then, so did the rest of the team. I thought the Vikes regressed as a team in this one and the Redskins had a lot do with that. They were throwing blitzes at the Vikes that the Vikings didn't handle well and Griffin's mobility really broke down the disciplined defense that helped the Vikes to 3 consecutive wins. They lost gap control at times and just struggled to adjust to what the Redskins were doing to them. There were also pre-snap penalties on offense and a few penalties against the defense that really hurt. It just wasn't the style of play that helped them get 3 wins in a row.
Thanks for the info. It's frustrating when I can't see the entire game.

One thing I want to add about this being a "team" loss is that the passing game is in trouble. Maybe Ponder is inconsistent, and that's sure a possibility, but is that really the entire problem? If it is, then Ponder isn't the answer at QB for the team.

OTOH, Troy Aikman once pointed out that in any NFL game a QB gets a second to find a receiver during any play. When the receiver doesn't show up where he's supposed to be on the field, then the QB has to waste more time looking for the receiver or the QB ends up making a pass to a place where nobody is (except maybe a defender). It appears to me that this dynamic has happened to the Vikings too often this year and last season too. I'm not convinced the WRs are running precise routes and I think that's part of the problem with the passing game. Just my two cents.

Bottom line, I really want three things for the Vikings. First, I hope they try Jarius Wright out at receiver, and not just in the slot because he can be a wide out. He was a renowned route runner in college, plus he has breakaway speed that makes him a deep target. Second (and this is basically out of the coaching staff's control), I hope that Jerome Simpson can get healthy, as in fully healthy asap. The Vikings really need his athleticism and big play presence on the field for a lot of reasons. Third, the Vikings must place the wide receiver position on a front burner during the next draft and free agency periods.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Thanks for the info. It's frustrating when I can't see the entire game.

It is frustrating. I missed the entire first quarter because the (absolutely awful) Lions/Eagles game ran long.
That's not the entire problem. Ponder is inconsistent but he's still in the early stages of his development and he's showing a lot of progress and doing a lot of good things. The biggest problem with the passing game is problem is a lack of speed and talent on the outside. The pass blocking is inconsistent too and that has created problems, especially on the road. It's an incomplete passing game right now (no pun intended). Some of the components may just need time to develop (Ponder, blocking) but I think it would be a very different passing attack if there was a legitimate threat on the outside. That's probably not going to be solved this season and finding that outside threat may end up being the biggest priority in the offseason.

Overall, I think the Vikes have been squeezing a lot out of a passing game with some genuine limitations but that's one area of the team where the rebuilding clearly isn't over.

Another problem is a need for speed and playmaking ability at LB. Greenway's having a fine year and Brinkley and Henderson have actually played above expectations (mine anyway) but a seriously athletic playmaker at LB would help tremendously (and might have eliminated several of the big plays Griffin was able to make yesterday).
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

One of the few things Jerry Jones ever said after a Cowboys loss was, "Don't forget, they pay their players too." Visiting my parents' place I am surrounded with Dallas fans, and Jerry'isms. This one rings truth, despite excuses.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

losperros wrote:Ponder looked at times like he did last season and Musgrave was taking both AD and Harvin out on critical downs.
Both Harvin and AD got nicked up in the first half. Harvin came up limping after a kickoff which actually lead to the Vikings having their first stalled drive of the first half (after the game was 9-3). AD looked like he aggravated his ankle again as well.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

GBFavreFan wrote:I don't think this was a particular sign of anything in the big picture. I was worried to see several new topics about how the Vikings were "exposed" as not being that good, or same old Vikings, etc. That's a good sign that people's expectations are higher now and realize that losing this game doesn't mean we're not just as good as we were before.
I disagree. It was very much a sign of things "in the big picture". It exposed a lot of the weaknesses of these 2012 Vikings: a watered down passing game, lack of confidence by the OC and head coach in the QB and/or wide receivers, an offensive line incapable of run blocking, a porous secondary.

What it is NOT is something to worry about for a team that is rebuilding and that virtually nobody pegged to win 8 games or make the playoffs. They may still do either.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

Eli wrote:I disagree. It was very much a sign of things "in the big picture". It exposed a lot of the weaknesses of these 2012 Vikings: a watered down passing game, lack of confidence by the OC and head coach in the QB and/or wide receivers, an offensive line incapable of run blocking, a porous secondary.
All the weaknesses you listed are question marks the Vikings entered the season with. I agree that those areas were particularly apparent against the Redskins, but none of them are surprises for folks that follow the team. Viewing these things in the context of the season so far, I do see improvement in those areas overall. Every team has weaknesses, particularly in this day and age. Ours were not going to be solved overnight.
"Meet at the quarterback"
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Despite the Skin game, they better win as many games as possible before the bye week, because the schedule is brutal after it. Winning two of those games will be a surprise to me.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant