Check Down Charlie

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Check Down Charlie

Post by purplehaze »

CDC Sucks. Sorry folks for telling it like it is. Even Russell Wilson can throw the ball downfield.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Re: Check Down Charlie

Post by thatguy »

purplehaze wrote:CDC Sucks. Sorry folks for telling it like it is. Even Russell Wilson can throw the ball downfield.
Even Russell Wilson has downfield receivers. Sorry for telling it like it is.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

thatguy wrote: Even Russell Wilson has downfield receivers. Sorry for telling it like it is.
Yeah I know I keep hearing that excuse from everyone.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

You do realize that our best downfield threat was out today, right?
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

purplehaze wrote:Yeah I know I keep hearing that excuse from everyone.
What's your excuse? The fact that when Simpson came back from his suspension, the field immediately became stretched. I don't get what wasn't apparent about that. You can't throw the ball deep very often if you have Michael Jenkins as your big man to look to. He's not terrible, but he's just not fast enough or talented enough to play like a deep threat. That's how it goes.

Do you want Percy to try and out muscle and out jump corners? It's just not going to happen. Until we get Simpson back into the game (healthy), our downfield options are limited.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

purplehaze wrote: Yeah I know I keep hearing that excuse from everyone.
Lets look at the receivers.

Jekins - Slow and old.

Rudolph - Big, somewhat fast but you won't see him streaking down the sideline drawing coverage.

Aroma - Does he even play?

Harvin - Probably our only true deep ball threat (that plays). Fast, solid hands, ability to go up and get it the ball (especially for a small receiver). However he is their slot receiver, he isn't really made to go deep.

Simpson - Fast, athletic, not the most amazing hands but can at least draw coverage and stretch the field. Too bad he wasn't playing.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

thatguy wrote: Even Russell Wilson has downfield receivers. Sorry for telling it like it is.
Good Qbs make bad WRs look good. And your boy Pinder has plenty of targets.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

thatguy wrote: What's your excuse? The fact that when Simpson came back from his suspension, the field immediately became stretched. I don't get what wasn't apparent about that. You can't throw the ball deep very often if you have Michael Jenkins as your big man to look to. He's not terrible, but he's just not fast enough or talented enough to play like a deep threat. That's how it goes.

Do you want Percy to try and out muscle and out jump corners? It's just not going to happen. Until we get Simpson back into the game (healthy), our downfield options are limited.
Don't have an excuse for CDC. He is terribly inaccurate throwing the ball downfield. When he even looks.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Until Ponder has someone like CC and Moss, and he still sucks like he has been doing without throwing a deep ball, and making them defend the deep ball, people will keep defending his little happy feet short passing game.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

FailedtoOpen wrote:Lets look at the receivers.

Jekins - Slow and old.

Rudolph - Big, somewhat fast but you won't see him streaking down the sideline drawing coverage.

Aroma - Does he even play?

Harvin - Probably our only true deep ball threat (that plays). Fast, solid hands, ability to go up and get it the ball (especially for a small receiver). However he is their slot receiver, he isn't really made to go deep.

Simpson - Fast, athletic, not the most amazing hands but can at least draw coverage and stretch the field. Too bad he wasn't playing.
Aroma has made catches every game, some rather big ones including the catch against Jax for the winning FG.

You also forgot Burton and Carlson. It's okay so have the Vikings.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Good Qbs make bad WRs look good. And your boy Pinder has plenty of targets.
How does that make any sense? So you expect him to come in there and Brett Favre everyone in his 1st full season? Absolutely dillusional if you think Ponder can turn a receiver like Jenkins and Aromashadu into absolute studs. They're possession receivers. A quarterback can't change that. Otherwise, who knows...Greg Camarillo would be the #1 WR on some team if your philosophy was correct.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Good Qbs make bad WRs look good.
Sorry - Gotta disagree because that only goes so far. There is no QB that ever lived that could make Troy Williamson look good. Given that set of facts, your initial premise is flawed....
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

thatguy wrote: How does that make any sense? So you expect him to come in there and Brett Favre everyone in his 1st full season? Absolutely dillusional if you think Ponder can turn a receiver like Jenkins and Aromashadu into absolute studs. They're possession receivers. A quarterback can't change that. Otherwise, who knows...Greg Camarillo would be the #1 WR on some team if your philosophy was correct.
If Camo played for Roger or Brady yeah. We could have Megatron here and Ponder wouldnt know what to do if he was more then 5 yards downfield. Understand now? Make any sense? I guess last year the excuse was hes a rookie (as RG3 is this year) and this year is no Redeivers PH, Jenkins, Kyle, Carlson, Devin etc all play like KBs I guess.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

S197 wrote: Aroma has made catches every game, some rather big ones including the catch against Jax for the winning FG.

You also forgot Burton and Carlson. It's okay so have the Vikings.
Only reason that I excluded Aroma (kind of) is because I don't know what he does well. He has maybe 1 catch (with either major or minimal impact) then fades back into nothing. He isn't consistent enough to really say what he excels at. I know he is fast, has decent height and decent hands but even with that he doesn't produce.

Burton and Carlson just don't have a place in the offense. The train has left and Carlson is still running to catch up to it.

Simpson can at least be a decoy, similar to Randy Moss in this stage of his career. Because the Harvin/Rudolph bus will only go so far before people find a way to stop them.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Just Me wrote: Sorry - Gotta disagree because that only goes so far. There is no QB that ever lived that could make Troy Williamson look good. Given that set of facts, your initial premise is flawed....
Thats true...that dude had a serious case of the drops.