Vikings @ Redskins Gameday Discussion Thread -- Week 6

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TheIrishVikingsFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Redskins Gameday Discussion Thread -- Week 6

Post by TheIrishVikingsFan »

Mothman wrote:
I agree. They lost their focus today and played undisciplined football, making too many mistakes to overcome. However, they fought hard until the end, even after falling way behind. A team this young is bound to have some ups and downs. We knew this would be a tough game and it was... the important thing is to bounce back and earn a win at home next week.

Jim
^^^^ this
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I don't know about that. It's a bad loss and the Vikes made mistakes, but they couldn't stop the Skins for huge portions of the game and couldn't punch it in. I felt they allowed the Skins to dictate the pace on both sides of the ball for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters and allowing that rushing TD to Griffen was just sad.
The Redskins scored 14 points off turnovers. That, by itself, is the difference in the game.[/quote]

Sure but you can just as easily say the 90 yard drive the defense allowed in the second quarter and the long TD run by RGIII were the difference in the game. The Vikings had breakdowns on offense and defense today and it cost them.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

btw, not trying to make excuses for Ponder, cause he was far from impressive today, but are we really blaming Ponder for the fumble? AP getting blown back into Ponder is the reason for the turnover, AP makes his block and Ponder has a clean pocket, period.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Mothman wrote:
I agree. They lost their focus today and played undisciplined football, making too many mistakes to overcome. However, they fought hard until the end, even after falling way behind. A team this young is bound to have some ups and downs. We knew this would be a tough game and it was... the important thing is to bounce back and earn a win at home next week.

Jim
solid post!
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Well I was wrong, I said I didn't think Ponder was capable of throwing 300+ yards with multiple TDs. But I still felt we'd lose. The Vikings Tier list for receivers is Harvin/Rudolph Tier 1... Everyone else Tier 2.
Boon wrote:Bottom line, they lost a game to a horrible team and an overrated all-hype qb. Go ahead and rail me for all you want but this game is souring. Leaves a bad taste. The colts game, not so much, this one? Beyond sour. They fall for that freaking option consistently, looking at what exactly? Morris runs like a freaking sloth, that whole skins offense looks horrid, I really don't understand what just happened

Redskins are a very solid football team statistically, and RGIII isn't all hype. RGIII is the reason that offense runs at the rate it does and why Morris has any yards.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Boon wrote:Bottom line, they lost a game to a horrible team and an overrated all-hype qb. Go ahead and rail me for all you want but this game is souring. Leaves a bad taste. The colts game, not so much, this one? Beyond sour. They fall for that freaking option consistently, looking at what exactly? Morris runs like a freaking sloth, that whole skins offense looks horrid, I really don't understand what just happened

RG3 is all hype? :shock:

have you watched him at all this year, because he's playing like a top 5 QB
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

Stop complaining about ponder. This is really his only bad game of the year so far. Also remember, he's only in his 2nd year. He will get better over time. I understand where you guys are coming from though, because he's been doing very well all season and now you guys are let down by an amateur performance.
justinkendle
Veteran

Post by justinkendle »

sucks to lose but the vikings just to need to bounce back and show how hungry they are next week :smilevike:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

saint33 wrote:btw, not trying to make excuses for Ponder, cause he was far from impressive today, but are we really blaming Ponder for the fumble? AP getting blown back into Ponder is the reason for the turnover, AP makes his block and Ponder has a clean pocket, period.
Ponder had 3 turnovers that lead to 14 Skin points. Spin it anyway you want. He sucks. He looked like the rookie today. He cant make reads, stares his receivers down, and cant throw downfield. He throws short passes. Mainly because Musgrave isnt going to call a play he knows Ponder cant make. When is it time for the Vikings front office to make up their minds Ponder is a mistake. He no longer a rookie. Soon, he wont even be a second year player that people make excuses for him now. I hope its sooner rather then later because sometimes i dont have a clue who he is even trying to throw the ball to.
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

Well we knew we wouldn't go 15-1 and we also knew that we would have some games like these. I'm still OK with this game. Even though I gave up on a victory our offense didn't give up so that shows a great fighting spirit. I've watched too many games where the team just gave up but this wasn't one of them.

Skol Vikes
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Moral of the story, Christian Ponder is still experiencing growing pains. That will happen. I'm not too concerned. On to the next - SKOL
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Boon wrote: Yes I have watched him, a few times, nice try
so what exactly do you not like about him? His elite accuracy? His poise in the pocket? Arm too strong? Don't like his ability to keep defenses on their heels running the ball?

The only thing that I've even heard as a legitimate criticism is the fact that he puts himself in a position to get injured. Outside of that, he's good as they come.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Infinity wrote:Stop complaining about ponder. This is really his only bad game of the year so far. Also remember, he's only in his 2nd year. He will get better over time. I understand where you guys are coming from though, because he's been doing very well all season and now you guys are let down by an amateur performance.
It wasn't such a bad performance overall. The only serious mistake I'd put completely on Ponder was the bad overthrow that Williams picked off. The fumble occurred because AD didn't get a solid block and the pick at the end was just a desperation throw at a desperate time of the game. While people are ripping Ponder they should also remember that he helped lead the Vikes back from a big deficit to get them one score away from a win. I don't think he had a bad game or an amateur game, he just had a mixed game: some good and some bad. It happens to all QBs.
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

We're a young team, if you didn't expect loses like this and expected loses that were candy land and no mistakes...well....
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Mothman wrote: It wasn't such a bad performance overall. The only serious mistake I'd put completely on Ponder was the bad overthrow that Williams picked off. The fumble occurred because AD didn't get a solid block and the pick at the end was just a desperation throw at a desperate time of the game. While people are ripping Ponder they should also remember that he helped lead the Vikes back from a big deficit to get them one score away from a win. I don't think he had a bad game or an amateur game, he just had a mixed game: some good and some bad. It happens to all QBs.
bingo