Vikings London bound

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings London bound

Post by dead_poet »

@AdamSchefter: Vikings will play a home game at Wembley Stadium in London sometime next September. Announcement coming at Tuesday's owners meeting.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings London bound

Post by dead_poet »

@espn_nfcnblog: Re: @adamschefter report: #Vikings pushing to play in London during stadium transition. Revenues relatively low for home games until 2016.
Kevin Seifert on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

well most of us thought that made perfect sense since we are basically homeless till 2016
MNinIA
Backup

Post by MNinIA »

Well Zygi cried and never denied anything about moving the franchise to get a new stadium. Then when he gets it, he takes the team for what it looks like multiple HOME games to London. That a way to show your thanks.

Well at least the ownership got what they wanted! What will you do when you don't sell out the high ticket or high revenue stadium? Take all the home games to London?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MNinIA wrote:Well Zygi cried and never denied anything about moving the franchise to get a new stadium. Then when he gets it, he takes the team for what it looks like multiple HOME games to London. That a way to show your thanks.

Well at least the ownership got what they wanted! What will you do when you don't sell out the high ticket or high revenue stadium? Take all the home games to London?
At this point it's just one game overseas so what's the big deal? Until they get their new stadium up and running, the Vikings will remain one of the teams that generates the least revenue so I can't blame the Wilfs for taking the opportunity to play a game in London that will likely generate more money than the Vikes could get at home. The Wilfs have been more than willing to pump money into the team in an effort to stay competitive so I don't have a problem with them choosing to play a game in London. Heck, I think it's pretty cool. If I can find some way to afford it (which is unlikely) I'd love to actually go to that game!

Jim
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

we've played in London before that means we may have some British fan's there. Plus to steal from the Irish tourism adds it will be one of the few times the Brits actually invited the Vikings to their isle
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

That's cool, I've been to London, it's truly a beautiful place. That's going to be exciting!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Next September? So they'll begin tearing down the Met before next season begins and start playing in TCF next year? Whatever happened to the plan of playing for a time at the Met while construction is begun outside the stadium?
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

I have stated I am not a big fan of the London strategy and of losing home games. But I accept it as part of Roger Goodell's master plan for world domination. I do question the wisdom of hopefully a young contending team playing a gimmick game several time zones away rather than a home game when the goal is a Super Bowl win. Again, it shows the sport is all about the money. No surprise there.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

I guess I don't see the big deal. I thought everyone had to take their turn playing over there and this is as good of time as any.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Welsh Vike
Starter

Post by Welsh Vike »

As a London resident Viking addict, forgive me if I say I'm absolutely thrilled by this news. I will be able to see them live for the first time after doing things like listen to an in and out AFN radio signal from Germany in the 90's, beg friends with Sky TV to let me watch late in their homes when I couldn't afford it, and suffer poor quality Internet feeds.

Love this. :D
english_vike
Waterboy

Post by english_vike »

Welsh Vike wrote:As a London resident Viking addict, forgive me if I say I'm absolutely thrilled by this news. I will be able to see them live for the first time after doing things like listen to an in and out AFN radio signal from Germany in the 90's, beg friends with Sky TV to let me watch late in their homes when I couldn't afford it, and suffer poor quality Internet feeds.

Love this. :D
I second this :D I think this is perfect timing for the vikes and a great opportunity to attract some new fans
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

I was wrong we never played in London. Our international games have been in Berlin and Japan.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Knoxx wrote:I was wrong we never played in London. Our international games have been in Berlin and Japan.
They also played a preseason game against the Bears in Sweden. That was in 1988 and I think it was the first NFL game played in Europe. I remember it because it was like a home game for the Vikes. The Swedish crowd naturally favored the Vikings. :)
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

Thanks Jim I was thinking of the Bear game because it was a rare event in which we played a division rival in preseason but couldn't find it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bowl so I just thought it was my senility coming through