Tom Powers: Minnesota Vikings lean to the right

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Tom Powers: Minnesota Vikings lean to the right

Post by Mothman »

This is (thankfully) as close as you'll get to political discussion on this board:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_217 ... lean-right

Let's ignore the political analogies and stick to the football stuff. :)
So while the Redskins constantly appear to be in search of their stride, the Vikings will come out and jab, jab, jab. ... Very steady. Peterson for 5 yards, Ponder to Rudolph for 4, Peterson for 3, The Vikings string together small increments of momentum to eventually take control of a game. They rarely commit the huge gaffe that causes a big emotional swing. Instead, they plug away, forcing the other team to make a stand or step out of the way.

Sometimes, the opposing defense gets so intent on stopping the small stuff that Percy Harvin can slip free unnoticed. And that's when the Vikings are able to get a long gain out of a not-so-long pass.

This is a very good game plan, well suited to a young quarterback, a star runner and one-of-a-kind all-purpose back. Anyway, I think it's brilliant. It results in the fewest number of mistakes and the best chance to win. I don't know how it will play against some of the elite teams. We'll find out over the second half.

But for now, this grind-away, conservative (right wing) identity is well suited to the team.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: Tom Powers: Minnesota Vikings lean to the right

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I want to photoshop Helga Horns on Mussolini and make it my avatar.

He makes it sound like the Vikings are boxers who win on points but don't have knockout power.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote:This is (thankfully) as close as you'll get to political discussion on this board:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_217 ... lean-right

Let's ignore the political analogies and stick to the football stuff. :)

Elite teams later on in the schedule :?: How did they play against the elite 49ers :?: The Bears are not an elite team and will live and most likely die by Cutler's hand (they do not worry me) the Vikes will at least split with them. The only elite team, for now anyway, is the Texans and they took a huge blow losing Cushing. So what elite teams is he referring to :roll:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

I guess the play-offs :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote: Elite teams later on in the schedule :?: How did they play against the elite 49ers :?:

They played great but some of the top teams later on the schedule have more potent passing games. I think that's probably what Powers was getting at with that comment.
Honestly, they probably should worry you. It's not that they're unbeatable or anything but the Vikes have lost 5 straight to the Bears and 3 of those games weren't even close. They've been adjusting to changes on offense early this season but they're getting on a roll and repeating a pattern they've had the last two seasons. If they stay healthy they might actually prove to be an elite team. Of course, the Vikes might too... :)
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Honestly, they probably should worry you. It's not that they're unbeatable or anything but the Vikes have lost 5 straight to the Bears and 3 of those games weren't even close. They've been adjusting to changes on offense early this season but they're getting on a roll and repeating a pattern they've had the last two seasons. If they stay healthy they might actually prove to be an elite team. Of course, the Vikes might too... :)
I agree about the Bears. I think something is beginning to happen with that team that could be bad news for the rest of the NFC North.

I'm not so sure about the Vikings. To me (and I think you see it the same way, Jim) the Vikings are an improving but still incomplete team. The "rebuilding" dynamic continues to apply here. Here's one example: I read a couple articles today where both Tom Powers and Jim Souhan believe the more conservative passing approach is just right for the team. They're probably right. But I think the coaches would open it up and change this team's identity at least a little bit, if not a lot, if they thought they had the WR corps to do so. That's why I think we'll see the Vikings looking closely at WRs during the next draft and/or free agency.

Seems to me that the Vikings coaching staff have wisely covered up the team's deficiencies (and they have deficiencies) for now. And they've been relatively successful in that endeavor. I don't know if they can do that for a full season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I agree about the Bears. I think something is beginning to happen with that team that could be bad news for the rest of the NFC North.

I'm not so sure about the Vikings. To me (and I think you see it the same way, Jim) the Vikings are an improving but still incomplete team. The "rebuilding" dynamic continues to apply here. Here's one example: I read a couple articles today where both Tom Powers and Jim Souhan believe the more conservative passing approach is just right for the team. They're probably right. But I think the coaches would open it up and change this team's identity at least a little bit, if not a lot, if they thought they had the WR corps to do so. That's why I think we'll see the Vikings looking closely at WRs during the next draft and/or free agency.

Seems to me that the Vikings coaching staff have wisely covered up the team's deficiencies (and they have deficiencies) for now. And they've been relatively successful in that endeavor. I don't know if they can do that for a full season.
I don't know either but I think that's a big part of what good coaching is all about. A coaching staff that can keep a team playing to it's strengths and cover up it's weaknesses is taking things in the right direction. I agree that the Vikes would probably open up their passing game at least a little more if they had more confidence in their outside receivers but I also think their deliberate approach to offense is designed to give their defense rest, wear the opposing defense out over the course of a game and keep the opposing offense sitting. The Vikes lost quite a few games last year because their defense wore down when their offense couldn't sustain drives and because they kept losing the turnover battle. This year's offensive strategy is more conservative but it has helped to directly address those two issues and i don't think that's a coincidence.

I think they might challenge the Redskins corners today. After all, Frazier should know the shortcomings in Cedric Griffin's game as well as anyone. :)
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I want to photoshop Helga Horns on Mussolini and make it my avatar.

He makes it sound like the Vikings are boxers who win on points but don't have knockout power.
:v): :smilevike: :v):
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

DarthBrooks wrote: Image
:v): :smilevike: :v):
That's hilarious!!!!! :lol:
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Purple bruise wrote:The Bears are not an elite team and will live and most likely die by Cutler's hand
While Cutler will definitely crap the bed a couple games, how can you know that we won't get two good games out of him and their defense won't eat us alive?