Vikings opening contract talks with Loadholt

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings opening contract talks with Loadholt

Post by dead_poet »

More than $8 million under the cap.
For those saying extend Percy Harvin first: 1. He is signed through 2013. 2. He is going to get way, way more money.
You can only do deals with the guys who want to do deals. And Percy Harvin, right now, probably isn't doing a deal for under $10M/year.
He is signed thru 2013 but there's no chance he plays that out. RT @dixonraj: @TomPelissero Does Percy have one more year on his contract?
Only 6 RTs making $5M/yr. Those numbers would stun me. RT @mnsportsinsider: @TomPelissero How much to extend Loadholt? 5 years $30M?
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Still only 26, Loadholt fits the mold, having started all but one game since the Vikings selected him in the second round (54th overall) out of Oklahoma in 2009. He's blessed with rare size (6-foot-8, 343 pounds), is known as a hard worker and has shown more consistency with his pass sets, punch and knee bend in his fourth NFL season.

"He's had a higher level of production this year so far," offensive line coach Jeff Davidson said, "and he's a professional about it, because he's out here working on it again today and making sure that he doesn't get turned and all the same things that have been an issue in the past for him."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... holt101112
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings opening contract talks with Loadholt

Post by Mothman »

It's a good idea and if a few of the other players that are going to become free agents in 2013 keep playing at the level they're playing, I hope the Vikes initiate contract talks with them too, particularly Brinkley and Sanford. They're both playing well and, in fact, I'm beginning to see Sanford as a real strength in the secondary. I never thought I'd say that but he's playing very well.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Got to love it when your front office hits on a 7th rounder...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Got to love it when your front office hits on a 7th rounder...
Indeed! Not only that, just take a look at some of the players they've drafted in the 6th round since 2008:

John Sullivan, Joe Webb, Mistral Raymond, Brandon Fusco, Blair Walsh
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

On other message boards I've read complaints about what was a wasted draft with other teams. To have the Vikings hit on almost every pick is amazing.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

not a big fan of Loadholt.. he let a lot of guys run buy him last year..

I don't believe in giving him a huge contract for play good during a contract year..

He is not as lazy as Mckinnie but he gets honorable mention in my book.

I say we try again RT are not easy to find, but much easier than LT
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

I think most of Phil's issues are common to anyone of his size. The tendency for big guys to be gentle giants. It's not just something that plagues Phil alone. There's a story from John Madden. He used to occasionally give his O-line a dummy and tell them to beat the hell out of it, otherwise they wouldn't be as aggressive as they needed to be.

Besides how can you hate a guy this big?

Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

You can only do deals with the guys who want to do deals. And Percy Harvin, right now, probably isn't doing a deal for under $10M/year.
So will the Vikings have to make cap room next year to sign Harvin?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Indeed! Not only that, just take a look at some of the players they've drafted in the 6th round since 2008:

John Sullivan, Joe Webb, Mistral Raymond, Brandon Fusco, Blair Walsh
Hmmm... Maybe if the Vikes traded down until they picked up half of the round 6 picks, imagine the team they would field... :wink:

I think they should resign Loadholt. The guy has had some consistency issues in the past, but from what I'm seeing so far this year and in bigger games, he seems to do well. I don't know if he should get a break-the-bank contract at RT, but he's worth at least a top-10 deal at the position.

I like it that the Vikes are opening these talks now and not waiting. I thought the team would stink this year, but nothing makes for tougher FA decisions than team success. If the Vikes keep winning, the agents keep the numbers spinning, and that won't be good for anyone. If I were the Vikes I'd try to get some of these deals done ASAP if they know they want a guy. As for Harvin, I'd just give him a key to the Wilf's vault and put a limit on how much he can take out in a given day. Got to get him resigned. Same logic as above applies. If he goes off the remainder of the year like he's done to this point, it's going to be ever-harder to reach a deal that doesn't kill the team's salary cap going forward.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I would open talks at $50.00, plus a better parking spot during training camp. :mrgreen:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

We just give him a heay incentive based contract .. if he plays good pay him if not

welcome to minimum wage in the NFL
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!