We Have Some Under The Radar Studs, Don't We?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

We Have Some Under The Radar Studs, Don't We?

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Kluwe and Walsh
These guys are rockstars! As good a combo as it gets in the NFL.
How many 50 yarders and genius punts will it take?

Chad Greenway:
Second in the league with tackles and averages 10 of 'em a game, 6 solo.
That is crazy talk and nobody knows who this guy is.

Matt Kalil
Ponder has so much more time and gets sacked and hit so much less than he used to.
Look at the 49ers game. No sacks given up by Kalil or the team as a whole, and only 2 hits.
He isn't playing a sexy position by any stretch of the imagination but man has he lived up to his billing and then some.
I think he's been crucial to Peterson getting his groove back, too.
Pro Bowl bound possibly?
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: We Have Some Under The Radar Studs, Don't We?

Post by jackal »

the only OL I see as a liability is Johnson right now..

He gets beat badly at times on the inside and has had some critical penalties
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:the only OL I see as a liability is Johnson right now..

He gets beat badly at times on the inside and has had some critical penalties
I wouldn't call Johnson a liability but he needs to cut down on mistakes. Honestly, I think the closest thing the Vikings have to a liability up front might be Loadholt in pass protection. Again, I think liability is too strong of a word but Loadholt still struggles to hold that outside edge, especially against rushers with a quick first step. Neither Johnson or Loadholt are great but overall, as a unit, the line is doing a pretty good job this year and at times, they have been outstanding. Hopefully, they'll improve as they get more time to play together and as the season moves toward the playoffs. A strong performance by the o-line down the stretch could go a long way toward getting the Vikings into the postseason.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Loadholt is why Kalil is such a home run pick IMO. Kalil doesn't need help in pass protection, which lets them run chips to Loadholt's side, solidifying the pocket. I'd say Loadholt in Run blocking makes up for this weakness given the identity of the Vikings. You obviously want 5 studs, but in the salary cap era that is not likely to ever happen. Overall, I think the OL is doing great.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Kluwe and Walsh
These guys are rockstars! As good a combo as it gets in the NFL.
How many 50 yarders and genius punts will it take?
Kluwe is just average.
Chad Greenway:
Second in the league with tackles and averages 10 of 'em a game, 6 solo.
That is crazy talk and nobody knows who this guy is.
Greenway is an above average linebacker, and the Vikings defense would be a lot worse without him, but he's never been and never will be one of the top linebackers in the league, despite the tackling stat. He's just not a game changer, unlike the really great players in this league. Kevin Williams was a game changer. Jared Allen is/was a game changer. Harrison Smith has the potential to be.
Matt Kalil
Ponder has so much more time and gets sacked and hit so much less than he used to.
Look at the 49ers game. No sacks given up by Kalil or the team as a whole, and only 2 hits.
He isn't playing a sexy position by any stretch of the imagination but man has he lived up to his billing and then some.

I think he's been crucial to Peterson getting his groove back, too.
Pro Bowl bound possibly?
Ponder is getting sacked less primarily due to his own maturation as a QB. And a Vikings playbook chock full of 0-5 yard passes. Kalil has been solid in pass protection, but weak in run blocking. Pro Bowl this year? No, but it could be a possibility in the future. He still has a lot of learning and some growing to do.
sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

You know all this talk about Musgrave's play calling to me is nonsense. It is a throwback to the 70's Vikings the TRUE west coast offense. Ponder does what works you let your backs and receivers do the rest. I love it. Defense with a offense that can do the job.

My fantasy so to speak is that SanFran and MN meet in the NFC championship of course I want the Vikes to win. But what I really want is ol school football to win. Yes I do believe ol school will always win. I just want to prove it to the rules committee.
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

Harrison Smith. I find that what he has brought to the defense could not have been found at the combine. (Good job spielman) He loves to play. He is in the mix on every play, and he Brings it! That attitude is contagious to a group. Favre did it for our offense. Smith is doing it for our defense. What a nice pic.
JellyBean2144
Starter

Post by JellyBean2144 »

Heck yeah. The players that you have listed are most def under the radar, which is cool with us Vikings fans. This is the way we want it to be.