Simpson injury

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Simpson injury

Post by PsyDanny »

Eli wrote:Oh, it will take care of itself alright.More incidents like this and Simpson will be gone, no matter what happens on the field.

If the lost game check is such a big deal to Simpson (which would not be so surprising) AND the Vikings think they would like to keep positivity with him for future options, then they could just choose to pay him. The thinking being: you might be able to play, but we have enough concern about the rest of the season that we are holding you out as caution - so being our call, we pay you in good faith.

In the scheme of things, the $60k is small potatoes IF they think the Juice should be wearing a purple helmet with horns after February 2013.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PsyDanny wrote:
If the lost game check is such a big deal to Simpson (which would not be so surprising) AND the Vikings think they would like to keep positivity with him for future options, then they could just choose to pay him. The thinking being: you might be able to play, but we have enough concern about the rest of the season that we are holding you out as caution - so being our call, we pay you in good faith.

In the scheme of things, the $60k is small potatoes IF they think the Juice should be wearing a purple helmet with horns after February 2013.
Exactly and if Simpson finds his way to the kind of serious productivity that would make him worth re-signing, he'll probably be happy to be in an offense that allows him to be that productive and receptive to a good offer from the team. This little bit of frustration he's feeling about being held out last weekend probably means nothing in the big picture.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Simpson says he's a "competitor" and wants to play. He feels he's healthy enough to be productive for the team. Personally, I'll take him at his word.

Just get Simpson out there on the field. If he's truly healthy, then he has skills the Vikings offense desperately needs. That's all that matters to me. Can the guy help the team on the field or not? The Vikings need to know. And if he can't, then the Vikings need to know that, too.
maljanftballfan
Waterboy

Post by maljanftballfan »

Mothman wrote: Exactly and if Simpson finds his way to the kind of serious productivity that would make him worth re-signing, he'll probably be happy to be in an offense that allows him to be that productive and receptive to a good offer from the team. This little bit of frustration he's feeling about being held out last weekend probably means nothing in the big picture.
I agree. Frustration is natural. In the larger picture, this really doesn't mean much. I'm hopeful that Simpson will find his stride and reach that serious productivity that you speak of. I'm interested to how this all unfolds this season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Simpson says he's a "competitor" and wants to play. He feels he's healthy enough to be productive for the team. Personally, I'll take him at his word.
I don't know, Craig. He could easily be in denial about his actual ability to perform right now simply because he wants to play and get his paycheck. For example, the Vikings have been saying Simpson's back is the source of his problems but Simpson says otherwise:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Stil ... 101712?t=2
Simpson also continues to downplay any issue with his back, even though Frazier has said several times that's the root of the numbness and weakness Simpson has in one of his lower legs. It is believed to be a disc problem, though the team hasn't confirmed specifics.

Asked if he's had his back treated, Simpson said, "It was on my leg. I did nothing on my back. It was mostly on my leg, because it was tightness on my leg that was really causing the problem. I really couldn't raise my leg like I normally can."
Just get Simpson out there on the field. If he's truly healthy, then he has skills the Vikings offense desperately needs.
That's the key: is he truly healthy? From the same article:
Frazier said he was convinced Simpson "couldn't push off the way he wanted to. He wasn't comfortable mentally completely with where he was.

"The way he plays -- he's an energetic guy who has such a passion for the game. If you take some of that away, some of his elusiveness even after the catch, you affected his game. Just wanted to be smart, give him a little bit more time."
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

When it comes down to it WR is just one of the positions the front office struck out on this year. They swung ... just missed. Considering all the other hits I can't really complain. I expect the team to address the position when they should. Next year's draft. Regardless of how Simpson turns out.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote:When it comes down to it WR is just one of the positions the front office struck out on this year. They swung ... just missed. Considering all the other hits I can't really complain. I expect the team to address the position when they should. Next year's draft. Regardless of how Simpson turns out.
I'm still hoping to see Wright at some point this season. He looked very good in the preseason game that he hurt his ankle. Granted that's against backups playing mostly base defenses but he showed promise. Burton has been active and on the field and so far hasn't really done much other than run block. He does have 1 TD but anyone who saw that play knows it was more of a fluke than anything.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I don't know, Craig. He could easily be in denial about his actual ability to perform right now simply because he wants to play and get his paycheck. For example, the Vikings have been saying Simpson's back is the source of his problems but Simpson says otherwise:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Stil ... 101712?t=2
I don't blame Simpson for wanting the paycheck. I'd feel exactly the same way. I don't blame him for being fired up about playing either.

That said, I hear what you're saying, Jim. According to the article that you listed, Frazier is giving Simpson a chance to practice hard today. Let's see how that turns out. I don't want him out there if he's hurting or could cripple himself for the season (or even worse). I like the guy. It's just that he has a set of skills the Vikings badly need right now.

As for Simpson's attitude, I think it's been great. Here's Simpson from the article:
"Coach deactivating me doesn't put a sense of that makes you mad. It's nothing personal against him. He's just doing what's best for the team."
Doesn't sound bad to me.
S197 wrote:I'm still hoping to see Wright at some point this season. He looked very good in the preseason game that he hurt his ankle. Granted that's against backups playing mostly base defenses but he showed promise.
I'd love to see the Vikings give Wright a chance but I'm not holding my breath. Either Wright is rotten in practice, or isn't healthy, or whatever the reason/excuse is.

I can't figure it. It doesn't seem that Frazier and his staff are interested in getting Wright out there, despite the obvious need for a WR that can help open things up a bit.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Last game, both Wright and Simpson were left off of the game day roster, and between Carlson, Ellison and Burton, none played more than 17 snaps.

The Vikings have an extremely one-dimensional passing game right now. And I don't think that they even care that they're only using two receivers. They target Harvin and Rudolph, and the rest get the rare call and a few check downs.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Last game, both Wright and Simpson were left off of the game day roster, and between Carlson, Ellison and Burton, none played more than 17 snaps.

The Vikings have an extremely one-dimensional passing game right now. And I don't think that they even care that they're only using two receivers. They target Harvin and Rudolph, and the rest get the rare call and a few check downs.
I think they care. I just think their options are limited (or at least they feel their options are limited) and they are playing to their strengths. Jenkins is on pace for a 50 catch season. Is he really a player they should target much more than they do? As soon as Simpson was back from suspension, they put him in and targeted him 6 times in his first game. If they felt he was healthy enough to play right now I see no reason to doubt they'd be trying to get the ball to him. They target other receivers once in a while but none of them have been able to do much, although they're starting to use Ellison a bit more.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I don't blame Simpson for wanting the paycheck. I'd feel exactly the same way. I don't blame him for being fired up about playing either.
I don't either. Heck, I'm glad he's fired up about playing!
As for Simpson's attitude, I think it's been great. Here's Simpson from the article:
Doesn't sound bad to me.
It certainly doesn't sound like the kind of resentment that would lead him to refuse any contract offer the Vikes might make to him after the season.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The way Frasier is talking has made me wonder if the issue has more to do with Simpson's attitude vs. injury concerns. Just speculation, but in some ways it reminds me of the Cedric Griffen mess last year. Who knows though, we won't find out unless Simpson opens his mouth.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:The way Frasier is talking has made me wonder if the issue has more to do with Simpson's attitude vs. injury concerns. Just speculation, but in some ways it reminds me of the Cedric Griffen mess last year. Who knows though, we won't find out unless Simpson opens his mouth.
Simpson did open his mouth. He made it clear that he's not angry with Coach Frazier but that he's upset over the situation.

Actually, the way both Frazier and Simpson are talking it sounds as if attitude doesn't figure into it at all. It has to do with Simpson truly being healthy enough to play.

Back injuries are nothing to take lightly. If Frazier isn't convinced that Simpson has done everything needed to be certain the injury is fixed, then Simpson probably won't play. I think Simpson gets that. But Simpson is understandably frustrated because he wants to play and get paid. Nothing more to it.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Frazier also gave Jerome Simpson a "so far, so good" approval rating after the past two days of practice, noting that the speedy receiver seems to be past his back injury.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y

Sounds as if Simpson may be good to go for the game against Arizona.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I've read several reports saying he'll start on Sunday.