If the Vikings look like a duck ...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

If the Vikings look like a duck ...

Post by Mothman »

Here's a link to a nice article by Kevin Siefert abut how the Vikes reached 4-1 and whether their success is sustainable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ike-a-duck

Among other things, it contains this quote from Leslie Frazier:
"I believe being able to play good defense, being able to stop the run and not give up big plays in the passing game, gives you a chance at being successful every week," he said. "If your special teams can do a great job in that area as well, where you can win that special-teams battle, along with being able to run the football, and not turn the ball over, and when you get people playing eight- or nine-man fronts, being able to have a quarterback who can execute in those situations, I think that's a winning formula. I've seen it as a player and I've always believed it as a coach as well.

"I know there are some teams who buck that a little bit by putting up a lot of points and a lot of yards. But I just think in the long term, to be good in our league for a long period, and that's what we're hoping to be able to do, not just a one-year wonder or two- or three-game wonder; we want to be a football team that's going to be good for a long period of time. You need to be able to play good defense and we're doing that right now. The results are, we're on the upside from a win-loss standpoint."
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: If the Vikings look like a duck ...

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:Here's a link to a nice article by Kevin Siefert abut how the Vikes reached 4-1 and whether their success is sustainable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ike-a-duck

Among other things, it contains this quote from Leslie Frazier:
I dissed ESPN in another thread. I have to say that I think Seifert is pretty solid in his takes, despite some quirks. Pelisero is fantastic. It's those nationally syndicated clowns on Jr. High level shows (Pardon the interruption, etc.) that are just flat out terrible.

I like Frazier's philosophy and most of all that he's been able to execute it successfully.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Michael Lombardi was on The Ticket radio in Dallas morning, Tuesday Oct 9, giving props to all his current faves, 49ers, Texans, Bears and the Falcons. When asked if he was a believer in the Vikings, (the hosts think the Vikes are pretty good) he scoffed and dismissed them. He pointed out that they had victories of the Titans and Jaguars, which meant nothing. When one host said they beat SF soundly, he scoffed again and said the 49ers took them too easily, and it was their fault. Guess Lombardi doesn't believe in the duck walk.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Just looked at the stats and Greenway is the 2nd leading tackler in the whole league, just one tackle behind New Orlean's Brian Hartline with 53 tackles. Looks like another Pro Bowl. :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple bruise wrote:Just looked at the stats and Greenway is the 2nd leading tackler in the whole league, just one tackle behind New Orlean's Brian Hartline with 53 tackles. Looks like another Pro Bowl. :rock:
Isn't Brian Hartline a wide receiver for the Dolphins?

(BTW, way to go Greenway!)
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I think Siefert makes valid points about the potential of the Vikings. They may not be champions but they're a team that probably can give any other team a good game.

Regarding some of the accolades by the media, to me this all comes back to expectations. The team is playing above the preseason expectations by the media, which is why most of the talking heads are acting all giddy about the Vikings.

Heck, on that note, I'm shocked that they've won as many games as they have at this point in the season and I'm a Vikings fan.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

This is the thing, yeah we played some easy teams, so far. We also beat San Fran handly and only lose 1 game we should/could hve won. We are better on just about every aspect (not enough on Ponder yet, hes so hit and miss, but he fits Musgraves system). I love the passing game that some teams have, but I love watching AD and PH more.

And our D has come a long way. No idea why, unless Williams is that good of a DC. The LBs even look decent in coverage. The secondary is as good as ive seen in a while, with people stepping up ang hitting hard, and getting INTs. Im happy. Very good rebuilding project so far, AND very fun to watch.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

indianation65 wrote:Michael Lombardi was on The Ticket radio in Dallas morning, Tuesday Oct 9, giving props to all his current faves, 49ers, Texans, Bears and the Falcons. When asked if he was a believer in the Vikings, (the hosts think the Vikes are pretty good) he scoffed and dismissed them. He pointed out that they had victories of the Titans and Jaguars, which meant nothing. When one host said they beat SF soundly, he scoffed again and said the 49ers took them too easily, and it was their fault. Guess Lombardi doesn't believe in the duck walk.

...wisdom
The Texans haven't beaten anyone of worth either... but of course his argument would probably be "It's the way they beat them".
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

FailedtoOpen wrote: The Texans haven't beaten anyone of worth either... but of course his argument would probably be "It's the way they beat them".
Certainly not the way they beat the Jets. That game should have been a blowout, yet the Jets had the ball late in the game potentially driving for the win, IIRC.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

Weren't the Titans supposed to be a descent team this year, of course that doesn't change that they aren't, but still...
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Well I don't want to be the smart-arse raining on the quote parade, but seriously, here is a summation:

The Winning Formula according to Coach Frazier:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Being able to play good defense
Being able to stop the run
Not give up big plays in the passing game
If your special teams can do a great job … where you can win that special-teams battle
Being able to run the football
Not turn the ball over
Being able to have a quarterback who can execute

Uhhhh, not exactly earth-shattering stuff in terms of winning NFL formulas. And in and of itself certainly lends zero to the argument for or against our "sustainability of wins".

We have been what some consider "very lucky" in several of the above categories so far this season. Ironically, we were not "lucky" against Andrew Luck, and that rookie carved us pretty well.

So I am all for seeing how the bandwagon tires can handle all of our weight, for now. However I have the nagging feeling that our comeuppance has woken from it's slumber and is making it's way to the breakfast table.

It is easy to look at the WAS game two different ways - one, it will be a tough road game, frenzied stadium, outdoors, hot rookie QB who loves to RUN (assuming he plays), etc. So winning will be a real accomplishment no matter what "kind" of win it smells like.

The other view (which I guarantee will come out if we win by 10 or more), is the "it's only the REDSKINS for goodness sake, RGIII is only a rookie (again assuming he plays), their running game is decimated, etc. etc.

But to bring it back to "sustainability" and what thoughts I have if we beat WAS - I have to say I think a WAS win goes a long way to proving this team can be in the thick of the playoff race, and I did not think for one minute I would be typing that in October 2012.

And I won't even qualify the win - we could win on a blown WAS 22 yard FG in the last seconds, it won't matter to me in this case. A win on the road against a decent team will certainly have me finding a more comfortable seat on the bandwagon.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

vikesfan87 wrote:Weren't the Titans supposed to be a descent team this year, of course that doesn't change that they aren't, but still...
I know you meant decent, but I think that descent is an appropriate descriptor in their case
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Just Me wrote: I know you meant decent, but I think that descent is an appropriate descriptor in their case
I was thinking the same thing!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

indianation65 wrote:Michael Lombardi was on The Ticket radio in Dallas morning, Tuesday Oct 9, giving props to all his current faves, 49ers, Texans, Bears and the Falcons. When asked if he was a believer in the Vikings, (the hosts think the Vikes are pretty good) he scoffed and dismissed them. He pointed out that they had victories of the Titans and Jaguars, which meant nothing. When one host said they beat SF soundly, he scoffed again and said the 49ers took them too easily, and it was their fault. Guess Lombardi doesn't believe in the duck walk.

...wisdom
Fortunately, he's not very accurate with his predictions. :mrgreen:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

What does the Vikings dominant 30-7 blowout of Tennessee mean in the context of the Titans 26-23 win over the Steelers last night?

It couldn't possibly mean the Vikings are any good. It just means that the Steelers are worse than first thought.

:roll: