Breaking down the tape: Vikes-Titans

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Breaking down the tape: Vikes-Titans

Post by dead_poet »

Week after week, rookie LT Matt Kalil (69 snaps) keeps holding his own against the pass rush, giving the Vikings flexibility with their protections that just weren't there a year ago. He gave up one pressure each to DT DaJohn Harris and DE Kamerion Wimbley, who clipped Ponder's heels but couldn't get him on the ground. Though the Vikings used chips or extra protectors 17 times (50%), the help rarely was to Kalil's side. Failing to block anyone on a toss left that lost 2 yards was an example of how far he has to go in the run game. Kalil's kickouts in particular never seen to connect. He did get a piece of Ayers on the draw that went for 22.
One coverage sack and 5.6 yards a carry usually means a solid day for the line no matter how you slice it.
FS Harrison Smith (18) blew up WR Kendall Wright on third-and-7, recovered the fumble Brinkley forced and got ejected for pushing aside back judge Steve Freeman while jawing with Washington after Winfield's pick. No matter the circumstances, that's a no-no. Fellow rookie S Robert Blanton (52) was remarkably serviceable in Smith's place, and Alan Williams didn't seem to back down from the game plan, putting Blanton in some man-to-man situations. He even stayed home to stop Johnson on a fourth-and-1 draw. Not bad for a guy who only had played defense in a game once, in the preseason finale. SS Jamarca Sanford (70) continued to impress in his second start, too -- breaking up two passes, tipping Hasselbeck's pass on his only blitz and sticking Johnson short of the sticks late. What's gotten into these guys?
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Brea ... tans100912
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Re: Breaking down the tape: Vikes-Titans

Post by canadaviking08 »

I don't know what has gotten into these guys but I am sure loving it! Whatever they are doing, keep doing it :rofl: I guess it really helps that the DC was a DB coach for 10 years. Our bigges weakness(DB play) has become one of strength now.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I agree, the two position groups that were our biggest weaknesses in 2011, OL, and Secondary, are now two of our biggest strengths. Amazing turnaround and way to hit on 1st round picks Mr. Spielman!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Kalil has been great in pass blocking. I hope he can develop his run blocking to go with it. He'll definitely be a pro bowler in the future if he can round out his skills.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd like to see Blanton more too, at least rotate him in here and there.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

I have been nothing but impressed but Mr Kalil. Him and Harrison Smith have been the biggest reason in the turn around for the vikings this year IMO. Which is very high praise for a couple of Rookies.

Also for Spielmen.

Also for Zygi.

Wow, Do the Vikings actually have a good front office? :shock:

Slainte
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

PurpleJarl wrote:I have been nothing but impressed but Mr Kalil. Him and Harrison Smith have been the biggest reason in the turn around for the vikings this year IMO. Which is very high praise for a couple of Rookies.

Also for Spielmen.

Also for Zygi.

Wow, Do the Vikings actually have a good front office? :shock:

Slainte
Great things can happen when you do not give full control to a clueless coach who thinks he is smarter than everyone aka Chilly. For once, Spielman is putting his touch on this team and building on his vision and it is working. More importantly they got rid of that Triangle of Authority nonsense.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

canadaviking08 wrote:
Great things can happen when you do not give full control to a clueless coach who thinks he is smarter than everyone aka Chilly.
Hey! Leave Chilly alone. He is an awesome coach and is doing well in....never mind.....

:mrgreen:

(Sorry - I have to take a shot at Childress every chance I get. Hopefully the therapy cures me some day....). :D
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Rhett Ellison played more snaps than Carlson.
Because Ellison is being used as an H-back / blocking TE, with a lot of motion, shifts, setting up in the backfield, etc. He's being used exactly like Jim Kleinsasser was, albeit a bit less effectively.

Watching the game again yesterday, on one of the early offensive plays in the game, the Vikings even had all three TEs on the field.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I think fans need to get over the money Carlson is making. The coaching staff obviously has, and doesn't feel pressured into using him just because he makes $x per year. He has a significant guaranteed salary that makes it a virtual certainty that he'll be here for two full seasons. He'll either be used effectively or he won't. The Vikings are winning, what they're doing with their tight ends has worked, and they have a premier receiving TE who is quickly developing into one of the best in the league. If you want to say "Carlson's signing was a poor move," then fine, say it once and be done. Or maybe save your breath and say it at the end of next season if it's still true, because that will be the earliest possible moment that John Carlson might no longer be a Viking.
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

Eli wrote:I think fans need to get over the money Carlson is making. The coaching staff obviously has, and doesn't feel pressured into using him just because he makes $x per year. He has a significant guaranteed salary that makes it a virtual certainty that he'll be here for two full seasons. He'll either be used effectively or he won't. The Vikings are winning, what they're doing with their tight ends has worked, and they have a premier receiving TE who is quickly developing into one of the best in the league. If you want to say "Carlson's signing was a poor move," then fine, say it once and be done. Or maybe save your breath and say it at the end of next season if it's still true, because that will be the earliest possible moment that John Carlson might no longer be a Viking.
Could not agree more Eli. :thumbsup:
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

Just Me wrote: Hey! Leave Chilly alone. He is an awesome coach and is doing well in....never mind.....

:mrgreen:

(Sorry - I have to take a shot at Childress every chance I get. Hopefully the therapy cures me some day....). :D
I do the same and the only thing that will cure me is a superbowl championship lol