A divisional opponents perspective on the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

visitingbearsfan
Rookie

A divisional opponents perspective on the Vikings

Post by visitingbearsfan »

Your team is for real because the defense woke up. There is really no other way to put it, after that game winning drive by Andrew Luck everything changed for this teams defense SF: 13 points, 280 yards DET: 13 points, 5 sacks TEN: 7 points (garbage), 267 yards (many garbage yards). The 341 yards to Detroit is overlooked because that is a quality offense that can light up any defense on any given Sunday.
Another reason your team is for real: Christian Ponder has turned into Alex Smith 2.0 (that is a good thing when you have your defense and Adrian Peterson) and I honestly believe todays game where he had 2 INTs was a fluke.
The third and final reason: Leslie figured out that going down the field to Percy is deadly simply because it causes defenses to back off the line, they cannot sell out on AD getting a run or a screen to Percy, they must respect Percy's downfield threat.

So from a Bear fans perspective if the defense keeps their level of play up and AD gets 23+ carries a game until the bye week this team will be 8-2. Going into Seattle looking for a win will be tough, ask the Packers :lol:. Anyway, I would be very careful about those 3 weeks before the bye though because Tampa Bay is playing much better than their record indicates, Seattle for the reason stated, and Detroit because their defense/special teams are playing very very poorly if they start playing to the level they are capable of that team will be the 10-6 team from last year not the 1-3 team from this year.

And I'm sorry Vikings fans but the last 6 games are brutal the only break isn't even a home game...
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: A divisional opponents perspective on the Vikings

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Well, the team could to my mind easily have 7 wins going into their bye week. Then it is just a matter of splitting games.

10-6 should be playoffs.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

that's a fair call right now I would the Bears might be a better team, if they stay healthy.

The Bears team has not been able to do that in the last few years. The injury bug bites and we

we might be able to take this division.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think he has a solid take. I also agree with you Jackal, the Bears start ever year looking amazing on Defense and then injuries slow them down. If they stay healthy they are a deep playoff threat, but if they lose some key playmakekrs they will drop off.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

visitingbearsfan wrote:And I'm sorry Vikings fans but the last 6 games are brutal the only break isn't even a home game...
Ya the schedule after the bye is tough, but you gotta realize this: the Vikings team going into those games won't be the 3-13 team from last year. It will be the 8-2 or 7-3 team from THIS year. As the wins start to pile up, the team gets more and more confidence and they realize they can beat any team in the league. They beat the 49ers, who have gone on to completely dismantle the Jets and Bills since then. You can't get a much better confidence boost than that. The one loss isn't looking so bad now either, now that the Packers lost to Colts too.

This is a well balanced team that isn't making dumb mistakes. They have the most electrifying playmaker in the league (Percy), a young promising QB, a stud rookie LT (has he allowed a sack yet?), Jared Allen the animal, and another stud rookie with Smith (who has been mentioned in early DROY speculation). Oh ya they also have the best RB in the league and future HOFer with Peterson. To think...some talking heads said this team didn't have enough talent!

If this team can stay productive in all three phases of the game and also stay healthy then they're gonna make the playoffs.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HornedMessiah wrote: Ya the schedule after the bye is tough, but you gotta realize this: the Vikings team going into those games won't be the 3-13 team from last year. It will be the 8-2 or 7-3 team from THIS year. As the wins start to pile up, the team gets more and more confidence and they realize they can beat any team in the league. They beat the 49ers, who have gone on to completely dismantle the Jets and Bills since then. You can't get a much better confidence boost than that. The one loss isn't looking so bad now either, now that the Packers lost to Colts too.
I see your point and I think the Vikes are a good, much-improved team but this kind of talk makes me nervous. Let's not count our proverbial chickens before they've hatched. Only 4 wins have piled up so far and as encouraging as the 3 game winning streak is, it doesn't mean we can count on an 8-2 or 7-3 record for the Vikes going into the bye. Sure, it's a very real possibility and Washington, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Seattle and Detroit are all opponents the Vikes could beat but they're all opponents very capable of beating the Vikes too. I'm just hoping the Vikings keep the roll going next week. :)
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

Mothman wrote: I see your point and I think the Vikes are a good, much-improved team but this kind of talk makes me nervous. Let's not count our proverbial chickens before they've hatched. Only 4 wins have piled up so far and as encouraging as the 3 game winning streak is, it doesn't mean we can count on an 8-2 or 7-3 record for the Vikes going into the bye. Sure, it's a very real possible and Washington, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Seattle and Detroit are all opponents the Vikes could beat but they're all opponents very capable of beating the Vikes too. I'm just hoping the Vikings keep the roll going next week. :)
As fans I think it's perfectly fine to look that far ahead and speculate our record. What's the point of being a fan if you aren't overly optimistic all the time lol? It's the player's job to stay focused, not ours.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Arma wrote:As fans I think it's perfectly fine to look that far ahead and speculate our record. What's the point of being a fan if you aren't overly optimistic all the time lol? It's the player's job to stay focused, not ours.
It IS fine. I'm not suggesting otherwise. However, increased expectations can easily lead to increased disappointment and personally, I'm not inclined to start assuming the Vikes will beat anybody yet. I'm happy to take things week to week and enjoy the ride. YMMV.
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

Mothman wrote: It IS fine. I'm not suggesting otherwise. However, increased expectations can easily lead to increased disappointment and personally, I'm not inclined to start assuming the Vikes will beat anybody yet. I'm happy to take things week to week and enjoy the ride. YMMV.
Oh yeah, defiantly agreed there ;)
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Mothman wrote: It IS fine. I'm not suggesting otherwise. However, increased expectations can easily lead to increased disappointment and personally, I'm not inclined to start assuming the Vikes will beat anybody yet. I'm happy to take things week to week and enjoy the ride. YMMV.
The Vikings have cornered the market on taking disbelieving fans from their lowest point and raising them up. At some point when they've raised the hopes of even the most cynical among us, BAM, they snatch it away from us. Most recently for me in 2009 I was skeptical until we destroyed Dallas and battled through all the turnovers to be within FG range late in the game. I thought to myself-- they're going to do it... I presume I was not alone and enough of Viking nation turned beliving just then to allow what followed-- 12 men on the field, and INT and the worst onslaught of questionable officiating I'd seen that year. Similar moments in 2003, 2000, 98, and to lesser degrees in 2005, 2004, 99. In looking at this recent trend, we're due again either this year or next.

If it's going to be next year, I predict we'll continue to be good, but lose some of the tougher games and a couple more that we'll have thought maybe we could win in the next 5 weeks. We'll have a minor letdown of missing the playoffs with say 9 wins, but we'll take solace in the fact that no one expected more than say 6-7 wins anyway, nor did anyone expect the playoffs. Let that optimism stew for the summer, start off hot next season with say 6 wins, finish with maybe 11-13, by then we'll be ripe. NFCC or SB, it won't much matter-- they'll find a way.

But-- if it's going to be *this* year-- what will it take? That's what we have to fear looking forward 'optimstically'-- it may just come true, only to be snatched from us. Seriously I'm so jaded right now, that while I like to think optimistically at what could be possible, I no *real* hope of any of it. But I just know it will play out in a year or two for me to find *real* hope. And honestly, I'm not looking forward to it.
Craig S
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I don't believe even an 11 win scenario that we lost to the Packers both times. Their O line is going to allow 70+ sacks this season and Cedric Benson could be out for the season with a foot injury.

I think it is more likely that this team splits than gets swept. 12-4 is totally possible. Look at the pudding soft schedule. It is totally possible.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I don't believe even an 11 win scenario that we lost to the Packers both times. Their O line is going to allow 70+ sacks this season and Cedric Benson could be out for the season with a foot injury.

I think it is more likely that this team splits than gets swept. 12-4 is totally possible. Look at the pudding soft schedule. It is totally possible.

The schedule after the bye frightens me. Four straight weeks od division opponents, plus at Houston and at STL.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

We all saw what happened to Buffalo's early success last year. Let's hope we can keep it up!
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

NextQuestion wrote:We all saw what happened to Buffalo's early success last year. Let's hope we can keep it up!
I didn't. I'm living down in South America, and wasn't watching the games closely. I assume they started fast and faded.

In retrospect, last season wasn't a bad one to miss from a Vikes fan's perspective. This season, I have the Game Pass and am in a NFL fantasy league (I own Harvin, Rudolph, Greenway, and Walsh), so I'm a lot better clued in to how the season is going.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

John_Viveiros wrote: I didn't. I'm living down in South America, and wasn't watching the games closely. I assume they started fast and faded.

In retrospect, last season wasn't a bad one to miss from a Vikes fan's perspective. This season, I have the Game Pass and am in a NFL fantasy league (I own Harvin, Rudolph, Greenway, and Walsh), so I'm a lot better clued in to how the season is going.

Cool. Are you the only Vikings fan in Montevideo, or have you run into any other purple hermanos around town?

Do the local channels carry NFL games at all? When I lived in southern Mexico they had a pretty decent crew doing commentary for about 2 or 3 games a week. I wonder if they transmit that telecast throughout other parts of Latin America or if, say, Buenos Aires does one for South America.