Mr. Pessimist

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mr. Pessimist

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I have been pessimistic for so long, I just don't know what to think!!

The 1st 2 games went about as expected.

Then I thought the 49ers games must have been a fluke....they looked ahead to the Jets..west coast team had to travel 2 times zones East....random???

Then they went into Detroit, playoff team from lst year, and won. I figured fluke STs TDs, etc.

And today they dominated again. 4-1.

Seriously, WTF is going on!!!??? Someone please explain it so I don't get my hopes up....I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop.

They did just ink a stadium deal......is this the NFL's way of saying "thanks"
TuffJuff
Practice Squad

Re: Mr. Pessimist

Post by TuffJuff »

We are for real. We were no where near as bad as our record indicated last year. Our vets are playing well, our young players are progressing, our coaches are gameplanning great. We are legit.
"Friends dont let friends be Packer fans"
Turtle Burger
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Turtle Burger »

TuffJuff wrote:We are for real. We were no where near as bad as our record indicated last year. Our vets are playing well, our young players are progressing, our coaches are gameplanning great. We are legit.
Agreed, as much talent as your team has, it's not going to survive a QB whose favorite weapon is the bounce pass. If McNabb was anything at all like his younger self, or even able to manage a game properly, we would have had a respectable team. All Ponder needs to do is play smart football, not be a hero, and so far he's doing that.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Detroit is not a very good team this year. The Vikings offense failed to score a TD against them, and scored their only TDs on two ST plays, same as the Titans did the week before. Credit where credit is due - the defense played well and they won on the Road.

The Titans are just plain old-fashioned *BAD*. They beat the lowly Lions, barely, but may look back at that game as the highlight of their season. The Vikings beat them at home against their backup quarterback.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Eli wrote:Detroit is not a very good team this year. The Vikings offense failed to score a TD against them, and scored their only TDs on two ST plays, same as the Titans did the week before. Credit where credit is due - the defense played well and they won on the Road.

The Titans are just plain old-fashioned BAD. They beat the lowly Lions, barely, but may look back at that game as the highlight of their season. The Vikings beat them at home against their backup quarterback.
Titans may be bad, but don't take anything away from Hasselbeck - he's still a pretty good QB regardless of his number on the depth chart. It's fine if you want to say that our wins haven't been all that convincing against so-so teams, but let's just remember that Detroit was a playoff team last year, we could've rolled over to the Jags at the beginning of the season, and the "lowly" Colts just beat what many considered (or still consider) the Superbowl favorite, Green Bay Packers.

Records do not always indicate how well or poorly a team actually is in terms of talent level. It goes both ways. We may not be the strongest 4-1 team ever, but we're still 4-1, and you can't take away those wins based on the idea that you think that our opponents are lousy. This is the NFL - any given Sunday...and so far, we've taken care of business fairly well.

Here's to a bright future! SKOL
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Knoxx
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Knoxx »

VikingPaul73 wrote:I have been pessimistic for so long, I just don't know what to think!!

The 1st 2 games went about as expected.

Then I thought the 49ers games must have been a fluke....they looked ahead to the Jets..west coast team had to travel 2 times zones East....random???

Then they went into Detroit, playoff team from lst year, and won. I figured fluke STs TDs, etc.

And today they dominated again. 4-1.

Seriously, WTF is going on!!!??? Someone please explain it so I don't get my hopes up....I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop.

They did just ink a stadium deal......is this the NFL's way of saying "thanks"

Shhhhh It's only April. Go back to sleep and enjoy the dream.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Every year some team that is "supposed" to be bad is good, insert the Vikes or Cardinals. Every year a team that is supposed to be good is bad, insert Pack or Saints. It is still early, and things are still evolving, but I had faith that the Vikings could be one of those surprise teams. It wasn't based on anything except "hope" before the season. There wasn't much, if any, support for those few of us who still expected/hoped for a contender. A record of 4/1 is far better then many in this forum expected, especially only 5 games in! Pessimism should be left for glasses of water.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

indianation65 wrote:Pessimism should be left for glasses of water.
I really doubt that'll work.... :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I would give the game ball to our defense. Ponder and co are doing great work, but our defense has really come alive this year and is just plain stingy. I look at the Detroit game as a major positive, it showed we could shut down an elite passing offense. That bodes well for us when we play the Packers.

A secondary place to look is our OL. Our line is dominating the line of scrimmage right now, Ponder has time, and Peterson has holes.

Both big turnarounds from 2011.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote:Detroit is not a very good team this year. The Vikings offense failed to score a TD against them, and scored their only TDs on two ST plays, same as the Titans did the week before. Credit where credit is due - the defense played well and they won on the Road.

The Titans are just plain old-fashioned *BAD*. They beat the lowly Lions, barely, but may look back at that game as the highlight of their season. The Vikings beat them at home against their backup quarterback.

I agree with what you're saying but just want to add a few things.

First, any time division opponents play, especially in the NFC North, throw the W/L records and everything else out the window. I don't care what happened except that the Vikings beat Detroit. The Vikings will need division wins and they got one.

Second, just my two cents but I think while Hasselback isn't the QB of the future for the Titans, he probably did as well as an inexperienced Jake Locker would have yesterday. But yes, the Titans are bad.

Third, the Vikings very obviously aren't world beaters yet. OTOH, I love the fact that they're starting to beat the teams they should beat and even topped one team (the Niners) that no one, including myself, thought they could beat. This is a big improvement over the last two years.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

losperros wrote:Third, the Vikings very obviously aren't world beaters yet. OTOH, I love the fact that they're starting to beat the teams they should beat and even topped one team (the Niners) that no one, including myself, thought they could beat. This is a big improvement over the last two years.
Yes, a very welcome improvement. :thumbsup:
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

vikings should win most of there home games. probably 2-3 road games. 8-8. :smilevike: