Pettersons injury the reason for our offense.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Sutsgold
Starter

Pettersons injury the reason for our offense.

Post by Sutsgold »

Watching the game today I couldnt help but notice that AP is not the central figure of the offense. It made me wonder if the Vikings coaching staff didnt spend all off season trying to figure out a game plan for this coming season with the idea that we would not have an AP. And now, sticking to that plan, but adding an AP has just made them that much better. Anyone else getting a sense that AP is not the central figure anymore?

Skol
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Re: Pettersons injury the reason for our offense.

Post by A.D_blazing »

Anyone else getting a sense that AP is not the central figure anymore?
I think you're the only one!
cody_2664
Transition Player

Post by cody_2664 »

This team does not depend on peterson as much this season thats for sure.
Is this OUR year?
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

They limit his carries a little, but they're not running the whole offense through him anymore nor should they. Percy is hitting his peak, and they're getting the ball in his hands as often as they can. Right now, Percy Harvin is a better player than Adrian Peterson. Two years ago, I would disagree with that completely, but right now, it's pretty obvious what Harvin is. He's arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL, an outstanding kick returner, and he has the ability to carry the ball successfully if the team chooses. Adrian is getting his legs back, but in his prime, he'd have had at least 3 out of 5 of those games pegged at 100 yards apiece, even if they kept his carries down to 20-22 a game. Adrian at his peak was breaking touchdown runs from anywhere.

Plus, this team has gotten a whole lot better at clock management, grinding the ball, and has some big tight ends and a solid backup running back. They can afford to rest AD a little more...they'll be thankful for it too if they end up playing through January.
-Rus
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Rus wrote:They limit his carries a little, but they're not running the whole offense through him anymore nor should they. Percy is hitting his peak, and they're getting the ball in his hands as often as they can. Right now, Percy Harvin is a better player than Adrian Peterson. Two years ago, I would disagree with that completely, but right now, it's pretty obvious what Harvin is. He's arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL, an outstanding kick returner, and he has the ability to carry the ball successfully if the team chooses. Adrian is getting his legs back, but in his prime, he'd have had at least 3 out of 5 of those games pegged at 100 yards apiece, even if they kept his carries down to 20-22 a game. Adrian at his peak was breaking touchdown runs from anywhere.
Agree 100%. What I am hopeful of is that since AD is only 10 months removed from his injury is that he may yet return to full form next year (or maybe even later this year) but it's obvious he is not there yet. Having said that: Peterson at 90% is still better than most backs in the NFL. Percy is just playing "lights out" right now and it is fun to watch...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Infinity
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Infinity »

I believe the reason you think that is because Christian ponder has improved this year so the coaching staff wants to use him more. I also think that they want to slowly ease Peterson back from his injury.