View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:21 pm



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 How many wins this year? 

What will the Vikings regular season record be?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm
6-10 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
7-9 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
8-8 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
9-7 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
10-6 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
11-5 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
12-4 or better 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 41

 How many wins this year? 
Author Message
Career Elite Player

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Posts: 2305
Location: Olympia, Washington
Post Re: How many wins this year?
I voted conservatively - 9-7. You know some time that the breaks will go against us, and they'll lose three in a row or so. But I think they can go 5-6 for the rest of the season. Maybe 6-5.

Then again, the last three games show me the look of a 12-4 team. Beat a strong playoff team at home. Beat a weak playoff team on the road. Destroy a weak team at home. I'm not just looking at being 3-0 in that set. It's the way they won those three. They look like they are playing at a very consistent high level.


Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7950
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: How many wins this year?
I would also point out that the team that beat the Vikings also beat the Packers. The Colts might end up being a decent team this year.

I'm excited about this team. Every game on the schedule is winnable from what I've seen. Not that they'll go 15-1 ... But this is actually a good team. Inexperience is their wort enemy.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 4317
Location: Portland, Oregon
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Ah crap. I read the poll wrong...too much coffee, too many alcoholic beverages at the sports bar.

I thought it meant 6-10 wins. Not a win loss record. :oops:

I'd say 10-6 feels like a pretty safe bet.

_________________
-Rus


Last edited by Rus on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile ICQ
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6020
Post Re: How many wins this year?
For us extremely cautious fans, why isn't there an option for 4-12? :mrgreen:

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6020
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Rus wrote:
Ah crap. I read the poll wrong...too much coffee, too many alcoholic beverages at the sports bar.

I thought it meant 6-10 wins. Not a win loss record. :oops:

I'd say 10-6 feels like a pretty safe bet.



I almost did the same thing - The thread title is "How many wins" but the poll is W/L record :lol:

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 am
Posts: 1160
Location: Minnesota
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Prior to the start of the year, the general opinion on this site seemed to be that while we would not be a playoff contender this year, our hope was that we would see significant improvement over last years debacle (3-13).

I think its safe after what we have seen thru 5 weeks to say thats no longer an issue. Their play has certainly exceeded my expectations and I believe the expectations of most of us. The future certainly looks bright but, I still think we should keep those expectations realistic when you consider who we have played to get to 4-1.

I hope for better but I think 8-8 is still a realistic possibility and when you think about it.......coming off a 3-13 season thats pretty impressive.


Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 714
Location: White Bear Lake, MN
Post Re: How many wins this year?
I say 9-7. Our team is doing great thus far and if we continue this we should go 9-7. Just remember, the second half of our schedule looks nothing like the first. Hopefully at the end of the season we can get a wild card spot. Just imagine, the vikes come of a horrific 3-13 season and actually make it to the postseason. What a story that would be


Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:52 pm
Posts: 7946
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Cliff wrote:
I would also point out that the team that beat the Vikings also beat the Packers. The Colts might end up being a decent team this year.

I'm excited about this team. Every game on the schedule is winnable from what I've seen. Not that they'll go 15-1 ... But this is actually a good team. Inexperience is their wort enemy.


They seem to have a great mix of veterans and young talent. The youngsters, though, have been the driving force and the real personality of this team. Kudos to Spielman and Frazier. It's just a shame they didn't start clearing house a year earlier.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:22 am
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11322
Location: California
Post Re: How many wins this year?
I voted 10 wins which I think is very possible.

This team is dangerous right now and could go 7-1 in the first half.

right now I think we could beat GB, maybe even sweep them. They seem distracted
and unfocused.

I think we have a real shot at making the playoffs .. I really thought six wins at the
start of the season.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:34 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 3565
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Infinity wrote:
I say 9-7. Our team is doing great thus far and if we continue this we should go 9-7. Just remember, the second half of our schedule looks nothing like the first. Hopefully at the end of the season we can get a wild card spot. Just imagine, the vikes come of a horrific 3-13 season and actually make it to the postseason. What a story that would be


So you are thinking that the Vikes will only win 5 of the next 11 games :?: That seems like a pretty conservative number. I would say that they will win at least 7or 8 of their last eleven games. :thumbsup:

_________________
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 am
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 pm
Posts: 163
Post Re: How many wins this year?
10-6 sounds good to me. But I can easily see it lower or higher, so I'll just stick to the middle.

_________________
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--


Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:53 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5605
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Let me do a likely yet best-case-scenario that actually bodes really well for Vikings chances to get into the Super Bowl and win.

@ Was. We win this by a TD regardless of QB
ARI Loss
TB Blowout win, second of season
Sea Win
DET Win, 10+ point drubbing
@ Chi Loss by about 10
@ gb Take our Bears loss out against our hated rival
CHI Get our win back in a close game at home
@ stl Win
@ hou Houston clinches number 1. They don't need it. It is everything for us. Win
GB Win, spectacular home win against our hated rivals. Possibly the game that means the Packers go sub .500

Flip the script on last year's schedule: 13-3.
We finish the season 5-1 in division when we hadn't even won a single division game since 2010. We kick off a 5 game win streak going into the playoffs and psychologically know what it takes and what it feels like to beat the Bears and Texans.

The cherry on top is that the Packers could pretty easily go 5-6 or worse in their last 11 games (Houston next week, Chicago again, Vikings and Lions twice, Giants, Cardinals, Rams) finish sub .500 and get swept by the Vikings.

:rock: :smilevike: :v): :rofl:


Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 pm
Posts: 3565
Post Re: How many wins this year?
You have got to love this :!:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/wbujkm.jpg

_________________
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!


Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.


Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:29 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 714
Location: White Bear Lake, MN
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Purple bruise wrote:
Infinity wrote:
I say 9-7. Our team is doing great thus far and if we continue this we should go 9-7. Just remember, the second half of our schedule looks nothing like the first. Hopefully at the end of the season we can get a wild card spot. Just imagine, the vikes come of a horrific 3-13 season and actually make it to the postseason. What a story that would be


So you are thinking that the Vikes will only win 5 of the next 11 games :?: That seems like a pretty conservative number. I would say that they will win at least 7or 8 of their last eleven games. :thumbsup:

Your right, those are winnable games, but I think a couple of the teams can pull off a colts-like win against us. Just remember though, the 2nd half of our schedule is much harder than the first


Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 1241
Location: New Hope, MN
Post Re: How many wins this year?
On September 5th I posted

One day before the start of the season and I'll throw my prediction in here. I believe we will win between 6 and 10 games. It all depends on the offensive play. I believe our defense is good enough to keep us close (no blow outs) but I'm not sure if our offense can put up the points needed to win the games. If Peterson comes back strong and Ponder grows as a QB I could see us winning closer to 10 games. But if Peterson has lost a step and Ponder doesn't develop it can be another long season for us fans. My prediction is that we will be 9-7 with an outside chance of making the playoffs (as a wild card) late in the season, but we lose too many games down the stretch and miss the wildcard by 1 game.



Going back further, on May 3rd I stated

Looking at the schedule I'd like to make a fools prediction. My heart tells me we could shock everyone and win 10 games or so starting 9-0. And then win one more game against the Rams. However, considering the state of the organization and the fact that we are rebuilding, I realistically see us winning 6 games. WIth these wins coming against the Jags, Colts, Titans, Redskins, Seahawks, and Rams. This will be another difficult season to watch with the team blowing games they had every opportunity to win. I look forward to my head being wrong and for us to have a winning season, but I just don't see it as possible just yet.



Now today, reading what I had previously stated, I must amend both picks. Clearly, we are not going to start off 9-0. We have already lost one game. However, by the time we get to our bye week I believe we will be sitting at 8-1 or 7-2. What I disagree with is the total wins that I predicted. I had said in one post that we would win between 6 and 10 most likely wining 9. In the other post I stated that we would go 10-6 winning only 1 game after the bye. After the first 5 games of the season and seeing how "complete" our team looks I'm going to say that we go 11-5 making the playoffs and resting key players in the last game of the season either because we have no chance of moving up to a higher seed as a division winner or we have already clinched a wildcard and have no chance of winning the division.

@ Was - W
ARI -W
TB (thu night) - L (we always seem to lose during prime time games)
@ Sea - W (I'll be at this game and we have not lost a regular season game that I have attended)
DET - W
bye (8-2)
@ Chi - W (with the bye week to prep I think we win this game)
@ gb - L
CHI - W
@ stl - W
@ hou - L
GB - L
Final - 11-5


Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 pm
Posts: 405
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Purple bruise wrote:
You have got to love this :!:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/wbujkm.jpg


that is awesome :rofl:


Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:19 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Purple bruise wrote:
You have got to love this :!:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/wbujkm.jpg



:rofl:


Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 am
Profile
Starter

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 191
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Okay correct me if I am wrong but I look at every team we play the rest of the year (apart from Houston) and I see high octane offenses or at least offense that require the throw and getting into a rhythm GB CHI STL DET SET ARI.

With the way our offense is built around short passing, running the ball and moving the chains I see great success in everyone of these games. I can think of several instances this year alone were we had the ball for 15-20 minutes straight in the middle of game, with a long drive, a 3 and out for the Defense, then another long drive.

Basically, I feel like we are built to beat teams like this. With the exception of Houston, and STL when jackson is on, I dont see anyone with a running game. IMO this means not only a ToP win but disrupting opposing team offense by keeping them off the field for long periods of time.

Whether I give credit to Les for building a team to do this, or if this is just the way the chips fell IDK yet.

thoughts?

Slainte.


Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:44 pm
Posts: 1108
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Oct @ Was W 5-1
Oct ARI L 5-2
Oct TB (thu night) W 6-2
Nov @ Sea L 6-3
Nov DET L 6-4
bye
Nov @ Chi L 6-5
Dec @ gb L 6-6
Dec CHI W 7-6
Dec @ stl W 8-6
Dec @ hou L8-7
Dec GB L 8-8


Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 4317
Location: Portland, Oregon
Post Re: How many wins this year?
PurpleJarl wrote:
Okay correct me if I am wrong but I look at every team we play the rest of the year (apart from Houston) and I see high octane offenses or at least offense that require the throw and getting into a rhythm GB CHI STL DET SET ARI.


I see them doing well too. I can see them easily dropping the two against Chicago and the Arizona game. I think they might drop the Texans game as well and split the GB series, which should take them to 10-6. The Seattle game is close, but the Vikings offense will be able to move the ball better against the Seattle defense. Lynch vs. Peterson, Ponder vs. Wilson...and Sidney Rice is just about due for his yearly owee. I see that one being a kicker duel.

_________________
-Rus


Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:49 am
Profile ICQ
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: How many wins this year?
PurpleJarl wrote:
Okay correct me if I am wrong but I look at every team we play the rest of the year (apart from Houston) and I see high octane offenses or at least offense that require the throw and getting into a rhythm GB CHI STL DET SET ARI.

With the way our offense is built around short passing, running the ball and moving the chains I see great success in everyone of these games. I can think of several instances this year alone were we had the ball for 15-20 minutes straight in the middle of game, with a long drive, a 3 and out for the Defense, then another long drive.

Basically, I feel like we are built to beat teams like this. With the exception of Houston, and STL when jackson is on, I dont see anyone with a running game. IMO this means not only a ToP win but disrupting opposing team offense by keeping them off the field for long periods of time.


The Bears are ranked just 2 spots behind the Vikings in rushing offense and are averaging 30+ rushing attempts per game and 123 yards rushing per game so I don't think they fit in with some of the other teams you mentioned above.They're a pretty balanced team right now and they're actually better in Time of Possession than the Vikings (and we're talking about a team with 5 defensive TDs this year).

The Seahawks don't fit the mold you mentioned above either. They are a running team with a nasty defense and a pretty weak passing game. They average over 140 ypg on the ground.

I think the Vikes probably are built to beat quite a few of their remaining opponents so it will be interesting to see how they fare. I see several defenses on the schedule that might give the Vikings offense serious problems, including Chicago, Houston, Seattle and Arizona. St. Louis' defense could be trouble too. As a team, i'd say the Bears and Texans present the biggest matchup problems.

I honestly don't see a "gimme" remaining on the schedule, although I'd say all of the games are winnable. I don't think the Vikes will win them all but if they keep playing like they have been lately, they should have a good chance to win every game.

I think we'll get a better read on the team after this week's game. I expect the Vikes to be a strong home team this season so it's how they perform on the road that may determine the tale of their season.

Jim


Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:15 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Posts: 1726
Location: Utah
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Mothman wrote:
The Bears are ranked just 2 spots behind the Vikings in rushing offense and are averaging 30+ rushing attempts per game and 123 yards rushing per game so I don't think they fit in with some of the other teams you mentioned above.They're a pretty balanced team right now and they're actually better in Time of Possession than the Vikings (and we're talking about a team with 5 defensive TDs this year).

Not to mention that Forte was injured part way through game 2 and just came back in this last game. Their rushing will most likely improve.


Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How many wins this year?
its not how you start, its how you finish. i still think bears, packers, cowboys, lions, finish strong.


Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6592
Post Re: How many wins this year?
I have this sick feeling in my stomach saying this season will be eerily similar to the 2003 when the Vikings jumped out to a 6-0 start only to finish 9-7... I really hope I am wrong, but I cannot help but think it will not end as pretty as it starts.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:07 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How many wins this year?
the vikings beat one good team who didnt take vikings seriously and thought they would steamroll them. vikings are good at home. not sure about the road. vikings are average on offense and defense. 8-8 :smilevike:


Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:52 am
Posts: 521
Post Re: How many wins this year?
10/6, with one extra win I may not expect making it 11/5, or one extra loss I may not expect making it 9/7.

losses: 10/6
Colts
Redskins
Seahawks
Bears-1
Packers-1
Texans

One surprise win...Redskins making it 11/5
One surprise loss...Rams making it 9/7
Redskins and Rams could easily be inverted either way.

...wisdom through no one can really predict anything based on everything

_________________
...spirits in the wind and the trees


Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:39 pm
Posts: 714
Location: White Bear Lake, MN
Post Re: How many wins this year?
80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
Oct @ Was. W.
Oct ARI W
Oct TB W
Nov @ Sea L - Seattle is tough at home.
Nov DET W
bye
Nov @ Chi L
Dec @ gb L
Dec CHI L
Dec @ stl W
Dec @ hou L
Dec GB L

I picked 9-7. I could see us splitting with GB and CHI but at the same time its possible they slip up against 1 or 2 of WAS/ARZ/TB/DET/STL. That's just how the Vikings are.

Great predictions. Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for sharing


Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: How many wins this year?
Dont talk about playoffs ???????


Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:11 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 1241
Location: New Hope, MN
Post Re: How many wins this year?
akvikingsfan wrote:
On September 5th I posted

One day before the start of the season and I'll throw my prediction in here. I believe we will win between 6 and 10 games. It all depends on the offensive play. I believe our defense is good enough to keep us close (no blow outs) but I'm not sure if our offense can put up the points needed to win the games. If Peterson comes back strong and Ponder grows as a QB I could see us winning closer to 10 games. But if Peterson has lost a step and Ponder doesn't develop it can be another long season for us fans. My prediction is that we will be 9-7 with an outside chance of making the playoffs (as a wild card) late in the season, but we lose too many games down the stretch and miss the wildcard by 1 game.



Going back further, on May 3rd I stated

Looking at the schedule I'd like to make a fools prediction. My heart tells me we could shock everyone and win 10 games or so starting 9-0. And then win one more game against the Rams. However, considering the state of the organization and the fact that we are rebuilding, I realistically see us winning 6 games. WIth these wins coming against the Jags, Colts, Titans, Redskins, Seahawks, and Rams. This will be another difficult season to watch with the team blowing games they had every opportunity to win. I look forward to my head being wrong and for us to have a winning season, but I just don't see it as possible just yet.



Now today, reading what I had previously stated, I must amend both picks. Clearly, we are not going to start off 9-0. We have already lost one game. However, by the time we get to our bye week I believe we will be sitting at 8-1 or 7-2. What I disagree with is the total wins that I predicted. I had said in one post that we would win between 6 and 10 most likely wining 9. In the other post I stated that we would go 10-6 winning only 1 game after the bye. After the first 5 games of the season and seeing how "complete" our team looks I'm going to say that we go 11-5 making the playoffs and resting key players in the last game of the season either because we have no chance of moving up to a higher seed as a division winner or we have already clinched a wildcard and have no chance of winning the division.

@ Was - W
ARI -W
TB (thu night) - L (we always seem to lose during prime time games)
@ Sea - W (I'll be at this game and we have not lost a regular season game that I have attended)
DET - W
bye (8-2)
@ Chi - W (with the bye week to prep I think we win this game)
@ gb - L
CHI - W
@ stl - W
@ hou - L
GB - L
Final - 11-5


Well I was a little off with which games we would win and lose, but if you average my 3 predictions it comes out to 10-6. Also, I'd like to point out that my original prediction back in May was for a 10-6 record. Now I hope we go deep in the playoffs and pull some upsets and get our first W in the only game that matters.


Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigwehrm and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.