Contract extension motivation for Guion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Contract extension motivation for Guion

Post by dead_poet »

Nice piece on Guion.

The Vikings nose tackle has elevated his game since signing a three-year extension for $9 million during the offseason.
Six months after re-signing, Guion is not only making Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman look brilliant, he's working harder than ever to improve, continually impressing the coaching staff with his weekly preparation.

Last week, in the Vikings' 20-13 win at Detroit, Guion was a disruptive force throughout. He recorded two sacks and two quarterback hits and helped the defense limit Detroit to 55 rushing yards.

And while Guion might not be the second coming of Pat Williams, he has certainly been an obvious upgrade over Remi Ayodele, whose one season with the Vikings in 2011 was a flop.

Big man, big plays

Guion's emergence this season has been sparked by his increased dedication, something all those around him have noticed.

"Before he was the backup and he wasn't as locked in as he needed to be," said fellow defensive tackle Kevin Williams.

"You can see it now. He's locked in."

Kevin Williams used to engage in a weekly competition with Pat Williams, the two tackles competing to deliver the better overall performance each game.

The results of their bragging-rights bet were determined by the final grades delivered by the coaching staff, measuring statistical production, hustle and proper technique.

Now Kevin Williams has brought that same contest to Guion.

"It's given me a chance to talk trash," Guion said. "I keep telling Kevin I'm going to knock him out of the water this week. I like the competition."

Added Williams: "He's getting after it right now. I told him he tore me up this week. He was all over the place."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... =y&refer=y
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Vikefan68
Transition Player

Re: Contract extension motivation for Guion

Post by Vikefan68 »

For the last 1yr and half - 2yrs everyone has been waiting (wanting) to see Guion take that next step. Looks like he has finally turned the corner and should only get better with more playing time. On another note, I really hope Kwill "The Big Ticket" retires a Vike.